Author Topic: Did you ever have "that moment" when you were ashamed to be a gamer?  (Read 12735 times)

kashell

Re: Did you ever have "that moment" when you were ashamed to be a gamer?
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2015, 01:31:20 pm »
Hmm. Calling another gamer (heck, another person) a "steaming pile of human waste" seems harsh since he didn't do anything offensive to you or the other people in line. He might fit some mold or a stereotype when non-gamers think of gamers, but I would never put someone down for things they can't control. He wasn't dressed to the nines and was overweight, but I'll be the first to admit I don't always head to the game store looking I came off the covers of GQ. He had facial and body acne. Part of the problem with that is hygiene, yes, but having grown up with it I can tell you that you often times need strong medication/treatment to keep it in check. He may not have had the means for a dermatologist. As for his other hygienic issues, my olfactory glands would be struggling just like anyone else's, but I wouldn't hold it against him.

Actually, one of my best friends of all time is overweight and still has problems with his skin. We were gaming one day and I told him that he needed new clothes since his "style" was similar to that of person you described. So, I offered to go shopping with him. We came back with a fresh wardrobe and a few new games for our libraries.

I guess my point is that this isolated incident with the person who picked up two copies of Halo 2 shouldn't make anyone feel bad about being a gamer. He may not have been the spitting image of a fashion model, but he was someone who enjoys video games and likely needs a friend to give him some guidance outside of that realm.

gf78

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2015, 01:39:01 pm »
Hmm. Calling another gamer (heck, another person) a "steaming pile of human waste" seems harsh since he didn't do anything offensive to you or the other people in line. He might fit some mold or a stereotype when non-gamers think of gamers, but I would never put someone down for things they can't control. He wasn't dressed to the nines and was overweight, but I'll be the first to admit I don't always head to the game store looking I came off the covers of GQ. He had facial and body acne. Part of the problem with that is hygiene, yes, but having grown up with it I can tell you that you often times need strong medication/treatment to keep it in check. He may not have had the means for a dermatologist. As for his other hygienic issues, my olfactory glands would be struggling just like anyone else's, but I wouldn't hold it against him.

Actually, one of my best friends of all time is overweight and still has problems with his skin. We were gaming one day and I told him that he needed new clothes since his "style" was similar to that of person you described. So, I offered to go shopping with him. We came back with a fresh wardrobe and a few new games for our libraries.

I guess my point is that this isolated incident with the person who picked up two copies of Halo 2 shouldn't make anyone feel bad about being a gamer. He may not have been the spitting image of a fashion model, but he was someone who enjoys video games and likely needs a friend to give him some guidance outside of that realm.

Ever have one of those days when everything goes wrong?  Yeah..that's today.  I guess I overemphasized the description to illustrate my point that I am personally not ashamed to be a gamer, but that person, in that moment made me feel ashamed due to the perceived association and stereotyping that gamers are all like that.  Sorry for making it sound so harsh.  But I do have to say that his body odor was offensive to me.  I also don't hold it against anyone who is overweight as I am myself.  I may reaaallllyy like that new Halo shirt, but if it doesn't come in my size then I have to say "Well, guess I'm not getting that Halo shirt."  And this gentleman's problem was definitely hygiene-related and not a dermatological issue.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:43:38 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2015, 03:31:19 pm »
I mean, if there's an issue with the skin (epidermis/dermis)  then it's 100% dermatological. Like I said, part of it does have to do with hygiene. Diet is another factor: peanuts, colas and chocolates are three big ones to avoid if you're trying to clear your skin. Even the cleanest people can get breakouts. Even the most diet conscious people can get breakouts.

Pills and topical treatments can add up. I'm speaking from experience.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2015, 03:37:18 pm »
I remember my husband saying that he knew that would never happen to us, and that made him love me even more, especially after the two days we spent geeking out over all the games we'd scored.

The couple who games together stays together!

Aaawww, that's so sweet.  Perhaps one day I shall find someone  ;)

I like how these posts have taken a turn for the best, considering the original subject.  No at all, we've never been ashamed

I think it's great to be a gamer and I'm not ashamed that I play and collect games.  I think things have skewed a bit from my original post.  It was a story about a steaming pile of human waste making gamers everywhere look bad.  A face-palm moment if you will. 

In any event, happy that this thread made people feel good about their hobby.

I don't let others represent me and I make it clear to folks that think they know ME because they've seem others in my demographic that they are mistaken.

gf78

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2015, 03:43:42 pm »
I mean, if there's an issue with the skin (epidermis/dermis)  then it's 100% dermatological. Like I said, part of it does have to do with hygiene. Diet is another factor: peanuts, colas and chocolates are three big ones to avoid if you're trying to clear your skin. Even the cleanest people can get breakouts. Even the most diet conscious people can get breakouts.

I agree with you on people that have issues like that.  No argument here. 

I'm speaking purely from the POV of someone who has body odor because a lack of washing.  Greasy, matted hair with dandruff flakes and/or dried hairspray all throughout because they don't wash it.  Teeth covered in plaque because they don't brush and the fecal matter-scented breath that accompanies it.  Clothes that haven't been washed in ages where they smell like a wet mop that sat too long and soured.  This isn't an issue with a skin condition.  It's called being slovenly.  And if you can afford to buy collector's editions of videogames at their midnight launches, you should be able to afford some off-brand body wash, a toothbrush, toothpaste and laundry detergent.  That stuff costs about $8, even at today's prices at Wally World.   ;)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

insektmute

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2015, 03:58:22 pm »
Yeah, I'm proud of being a girl who games.  I'm happy with who I am, the people in my lives, and I know that gaming is a big part of who I am and who is in my life.

Who can really fault us for doing things that make us happy, laugh, and remember that there is fun to be had in life?

It's funny, but the majority of gamers - let alone hardcore gamers - that I personally know are women. One is a former developer that worked on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and plays a crapton of stuff like Left 4 Dead 2; one works for Comedy Central by day, owns over a dozen systems and probably about 1500 games, and is married to a professional comic book artist; another is a web developer for EA who goes nuts for stuff like The Witcher and Dragon Age - ditto a librarian friend. The list goes on, and they're all elite gamer geeks.

The guys, on the other hand? A bunch who own - at best - maybe 10 games and don't play any of them routinely; one guy who plays tons of games, but only on PC, pays his bills by selling weed and delivering pizza, and thinks women are genetically worse at gaming than guys; and one guy who's a computer programmer, and only plays indie games on Linux. Not exactly a sterling lot.

People need to stop listening to dumb internet commentary and skewed statistics. They would have us believing that women only play cute, casual games, but the reality is that there are tons of women who represent a vital and visible chunk of the market for real, hardcore games.

Also, you are cool and I love our circle derp discussions w/ Scott, Justin, Kimimi, and Foxhack on Twitter ^.^

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2015, 04:01:00 pm »
I've known many non gamers that match the description.

Speaking of dumb Internet commentary.

Tune in to the Retro-Reload live stream tonight at 8:30pm pacific. :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:07:54 pm by dashv »

kashell

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2015, 04:05:46 pm »
Right, I wasn't talking about his odor or his other "traits." I was talking just about a skin condition that can't be removed simply by washing and watching what you eat.

The cost of the Rx level good stuff that has the best results costs about the same if not more than a couple of games.

desocietas

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2015, 04:11:32 pm »
Yeah, I'm proud of being a girl who games.  I'm happy with who I am, the people in my lives, and I know that gaming is a big part of who I am and who is in my life.

Who can really fault us for doing things that make us happy, laugh, and remember that there is fun to be had in life?

It's funny, but the majority of gamers - let alone hardcore gamers - that I personally know are women. One is a former developer that worked on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and plays a crapton of stuff like Left 4 Dead 2; one works for Comedy Central by day, owns over a dozen systems and probably about 1500 games, and is married to a professional comic book artist; another is a web developer for EA who goes nuts for stuff like The Witcher and Dragon Age - ditto a librarian friend. The list goes on, and they're all elite gamer geeks.

The guys, on the other hand? A bunch who own - at best - maybe 10 games and don't play any of them routinely; one guy who plays tons of games, but only on PC, pays his bills by selling weed and delivering pizza, and thinks women are genetically worse at gaming than guys; and one guy who's a computer programmer, and only plays indie games on Linux. Not exactly a sterling lot.

People need to stop listening to dumb internet commentary and skewed statistics. They would have us believing that women only play cute, casual games, but the reality is that there are tons of women who represent a vital and visible chunk of the market for real, hardcore games.

Also, you are cool and I love our circle derp discussions w/ Scott, Justin, Kimimi, and Foxhack on Twitter ^.^

Aw, I love all o' y'all, too! <3 <3 <3 And those other girl gamer friends you have all sound awesome!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2015, 04:44:09 pm »

I'm speaking purely from the POV of someone who has body odor because a lack of washing.  Greasy, matted hair with dandruff flakes and/or dried hairspray all throughout because they don't wash it.  Teeth covered in plaque because they don't brush and the fecal matter-scented breath that accompanies it.  Clothes that haven't been washed in ages where they smell like a wet mop that sat too long and soured.  This isn't an issue with a skin condition.  It's called being slovenly.  And if you can afford to buy collector's editions of videogames at their midnight launches, you should be able to afford some off-brand body wash, a toothbrush, toothpaste and laundry detergent.  That stuff costs about $8, even at today's prices at Wally World.   ;)

Holy, Hopping, Heaping, Hostile & Harsh Heaps of Hyperbole, Batman!  :-X

Many people who are severely depressed, have been traumatized/are experiencing & dealing with PTSD, going through & battling alcohol, gambling, drug & pretty much almost all other addiction problems, and/or are mentally, emotionally, developmentally, etc. disabled, challenged, or disturbed would also fall under your big, fat umbrella - painted with that even bigger & fatter brush...symptom & behavior-wise.

Getting frustrated, upset, impatient, annoyed, angry, etc is all fine  ;)

Tearing-down, ripping apart, judging, and (trying to) elevate yourself & feel better by belittling others w/o knowing anything other than some basic stereotypes...is *not* really quite so fine, appears very 'High-School-ish, --and-- IMO, smacks & *reeks*  :P a bit of immaturity, close-mindedness, and just plain-old kind of being a bit of a prick & not a very nice person  >:(

Whatever.

Like I said, nothing but my opinion  8)

and...you *did* ask us:

"what we all thought"?  :o
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:59:26 pm by disgaeniac »
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

gf78

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2015, 10:12:28 pm »

Holy, Hopping, Heaping, Hostile & Harsh Heaps of Hyperbole, Batman!  :-X

Many people who are severely depressed, have been traumatized/are experiencing & dealing with PTSD, going through & battling alcohol, gambling, drug & pretty much almost all other addiction problems, and/or are mentally, emotionally, developmentally, etc. disabled, challenged, or disturbed would also fall under your big, fat umbrella - painted with that even bigger & fatter brush...symptom & behavior-wise.

Getting frustrated, upset, impatient, annoyed, angry, etc is all fine  ;)

Tearing-down, ripping apart, judging, and (trying to) elevate yourself & feel better by belittling others w/o knowing anything other than some basic stereotypes...is *not* really quite so fine, appears very 'High-School-ish, --and-- IMO, smacks & *reeks*  :P a bit of immaturity, close-mindedness, and just plain-old kind of being a bit of a prick & not a very nice person  >:(

Whatever.

Like I said, nothing but my opinion  8)

and...you *did* ask us:

"what we all thought"?  :o

I wasn't trying to tear anyone down. I understand and have dealt with people with a diminished mental capacity, health issues, etc on a daily basis at work for the past 18 years. I wasn't trying to cast an umbrella over anyone or everyone with issues. Nor was I in any way trying to elevate myself. If anything, I despise people who think they are better than everyone else and I lead a pretty simple life focused on my family and raising my girls to be respectful young ladies.  I've also dealt with more than my share of loss and grieving. I hope nobody has to experience the pain of becoming a widow/widower at a young age. Or losing your best friend, your uncle, all of your grandparents and great grandparents from a close-knit family in the span of a decade.

Everyone has their own way of coping with life. Some turn to drugs. Some to drink. Some to murder and some to suicide. I also work in a very depressing environment,again for 18 years and counting. Does this make me a psychology expert or give me insight into people's personal problems?  No. I'm no guru.

But what I was speaking of is a man who is filthy, exactly as I described. He seemed pretty happy, smiling and yelling WOOOOOOOO! as he showed off his new game. Irregardless of any life issues he may be dealing with, he was filthy and "reeked." 

Does that make me judgemental?  I guess in this case yes. But just as smoking is banned from most stores, shoes & shirts are required and no firearms are permitted on many premises, people shouldn't have to be subjected to stench because someone chose not to bathe.

Have you never felt shame or embarrassment because you were perceived to be with someone or part of something you weren't?  Never had to tell anyone something they needed to correct?  We're they all of diminished mental capacity, suffering depression, etc? 

This guy was shameful. Not because he was a gamer, poor, had issues, etc. he was shameful because he chooses to be a slob and to stink. Not talking about uncontrollable acne, sweating or other clinical issues. He chooses not to bathe or brush his teeth and to be the way he is. Period.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2015, 12:19:52 am »
Nevermind, I missed part of that conversation. Should've read further  before posting.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:21:41 am by burningdoom »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2015, 06:07:37 am »
not disliking *you* gtf78...just what you said & how you said it.

have i ever worried about what people thought or felt it important to 'correct' them?

absolutely...just not since high school.

again - someone who's hygenically-challenged, is overly into a game/series, and - very childishly & enthusiastically comes running out of a game store whooping about their newest ___ game...could very well be someone who's incapable of taking care of & cleaning himself in the ways we do and take for granted that others can & should be able to do the same.

ya' never know,

you know?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

indenton

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2015, 08:29:27 pm »
I shall now contradict what I said earlier and say this discussion is taking a turn for the worst, what are you even talking about anymore?!

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2015, 12:46:23 am »
Not so much ashamed, but kind of felt a little out of place waiting for the midnight release of Modern Warfare 2 at Bestbuy. I was only there because the guy I knew from the store told me they oversold the preorders on the collectors editions, so I should probably get there early (which I found out later he was just F'n with me because he had to work that shift).

I think it was more of a combination of having to be at work by 7am and the car full of teenagers driving by yelling "F...... Losers" that made me think...WTF am I doing out here?  ;D