Author Topic: Is there a way to improve the search engine?  (Read 3266 times)

jcalder8

Is there a way to improve the search engine?
« on: February 04, 2012, 08:14:54 am »
I was trying to search for Mickey's Speedway USA for the GBC. I tried just typing in mickey speedway but I got zero results. I had to use the " 's " in order for it to find the game I was looking for. Is there a way to allow it to search for partial terms rather than having to be exact?

forte

Re: Is there a way to improve the search engine?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:44:02 am »
Not a similar issue, but an issue nonetheless. I hate how the auto complete works. Sometimes I'm trying to search  a generic term, like "Mario", and if I don't hit enter fast enough it selects the first auto complete result. Might be a Firefox issue, but it certainly annoys me.

scott

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:46:20 am »
Apostrophes mess up the search as well. Like if you search for Mickey's the auto correct doesn't pick up on anything prior to the '
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 01:15:44 pm »
Not a similar issue, but an issue nonetheless. I hate how the auto complete works. Sometimes I'm trying to search  a generic term, like "Mario", and if I don't hit enter fast enough it selects the first auto complete result. Might be a Firefox issue, but it certainly annoys me.
I use Firefox and I've never had this happen. :(

darko

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 01:29:59 pm »

It happens to me all the time. I use Chrome so it's not a Firefox specific issue.

tpugmire

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 02:23:25 pm »
I just browse the section, rather than use the search.  So I guess I've never noticed...
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

matt

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 06:19:53 pm »

It happens to me all the time. I use Chrome so it's not a Firefox specific issue.

ive never had this issue in chrome or ff. Hmmm

jcalder8

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 06:50:52 pm »

ive never had this issue in chrome or ff. Hmmm

I have had this happen in FF too.

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 08:56:12 pm »
Just saying thanks for improving it. I have noticed that it will now recognize ":" and allow you to keep searching.

matt

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:25:35 pm »
I'm in the process of changing the encoding type of the data and all the pages so it may be wonky for a few days while I push out the updates. I'll also be attempting to address the issues everyone pointed out above later this week.