Author Topic: Suggestion: Implementing a "My collection is valued at" feature.  (Read 3440 times)

Suggestion: Implementing a "My collection is valued at" feature.
« on: February 05, 2012, 02:32:22 pm »
I think it would be pretty interesting to see an approximate value of my game collection based off Amazon's bottom dollar used price. This, of course, wouldn't factor in the value of complete in box items, special editions, etc.

If we were going to get really crazy, it'd be amazing to see VGCollect implemented with Video Game Price Charts to see an overall approximation of the used fair market value price.

matt

Re: Suggestion: Implementing a "My collection is valued at" feature.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:26:23 am »
Hey mav! I actually started a discussion with the owner of VGPC some time back looking at doing something like this but it never did get off the ground. So I decided to start doing some price tracking on my own. As it stands we capture the Amazon new and used prices as well as archive them. So we have local Amazon price history going back to the middle of 2011. One of my next projects it so tie into the eBay API and do the same. Once I get my head around that I'll be able to implement a rough value estimate. It'll be a few months out for sure but just wanted to let you know that I've already got something in place.

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:35:51 am »
I'm sooooo looking forward to this.  Amazon's prices are so off sometimes compared to eBay, it'd be nice to be able to just go to VGC for a better estimate.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:00:46 am »
... but VGC isn't that better since it pulls data off of eBay, and the games are often just as overpriced as Amazon. :(

matt

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:18:23 am »
The main reason I've been hesitant on something like this is that we all will have to accept the fact that we'll never get an accurate value. :(

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:17:47 pm »
Hey Matt,

Thanks for getting back to me! I appreciate you filling me in on that info. Honestly, I'm not too concerned with the "actual" value of my collection. I think it'd just be fun to have an approximation. It'd be great for a little ego stroking from time to time. I look forward to seeing it in action!

scott

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 07:21:38 pm »
@marverickrenegade you could list how much you spent on everything and see the total in your stats page... of course, that would be the opposite of ego stroking.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 08:09:38 pm »
... of course, that would be the opposite of ego stroking.

That's one reason why I've never filled mine in. lol

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 09:14:24 pm »
@scott I actually use it to stroke my ego buy how little I've spent per item. I'm trying to get it down to under 7 dollars

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 10:52:08 pm »
... of course, that would be the opposite of ego stroking.

That's one reason why I've never filled mine in. lol

Ditto.  I'd rather not think about what I paid but rather what it's worth now!  Would love to be able to sort to estimated value, too :)

... but VGC isn't that better since it pulls data off of eBay, and the games are often just as overpriced as Amazon. :(

And VGC *would* be better because I wouldn't have to look up each game individually :).  Also, if @matt says there's a pricing history saved on the server too... well, that's better than what I could do on my own for sure.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:23:43 am »
@scott

Curse you for even making me consider that. I look forward to this being implemented down the road. I can't say I personally know JJ over at VGPC but I have had a direct line to him on numerous occasions due to /r/gamecollecting. I've also had email correspondence with him over a few rare games and we have minor working relationship going. I might able to help facilitate this a little farther if it comes down to that. Just let me know if you need a hand.