Author Topic: Game Boy Cartridge Storage Methods  (Read 7295 times)

Game Boy Cartridge Storage Methods
« on: March 07, 2015, 06:53:31 pm »
I stopped by Goodwill today and came across what I can only assume was a case originally designed to hold floppy disks. I don't have any floppy disks, but I bought it anyway, removed the plastic dividers, and discovered that it's a perfect fit for my 28 gray Game Boy cartridges and 1 Game Boy Camera, as you can see in the photo below :)

Now, as you might imagine, I still have several black/GBC cartridges that are left lying around.

So my question to all of you is: what is your preferred method of storing your Game Boy games? Cases are my eventual goal but they're rather expensive (and I just finished getting cases for all my GBA games).

Share your thoughts! I look forward to seeing your creativity :D

I write for a video game/movie/book review blog that can be found here

Re: Game Boy Cartridge Storage Methods
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 09:47:25 pm »
I don't have pictures but I cut up a cardboard box and made a slat with enough space for GBA games on one side and GB/GBC games on the other. It sort of looks like a bookshelf stopper with a triangle bit at the end and I measured it with a ruler so it would fit the games in. Since they don't go all the way, they are tilted on each other but it is easy to sift through them and find the title I'm looking for. It's also because I tried making those alternate cases for the GBA games and it didn't work properly so I just decided to do it this way. Although, they are prone to dust and anything like that but I haven't seen any dust around them nor has it affected any of them adversely.

Something similar to this (not mine)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:57:07 pm by Aidan25 »

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 10:16:08 pm »
Oh boy, is that a Valkyria Chronicles I spy?~  ;D

I've seen people use those plastic binder sheets to store Gameboy games (you know, kinda like the ones where you can slip baseball cards into them? http://www.burningsettlerscabin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/P1010191.jpg  )

Perfect for Gameboy games. Put the pages in a binder, and boom! There you go.

theflea

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 10:20:00 pm »
I put them in large binders with baseball card sleeves.

You can see them in this picture.

"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 10:20:30 pm »
They generally sit in a drawer for me, but I did the cassette tape idea for some of the ones I wanted to display which are mostly Mario and Zelda related ones.  This is just temporary till I ever manage to get boxed versions.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 10:22:40 pm »
They generally sit in a drawer for me, but I did the cassette tape idea for some of the ones I wanted to display which are mostly Mario and Zelda related ones.  This is just temporary till I ever manage to get boxed versions.

I've considered doing this myself. Did you have to remove the pins from your cassette tape cases in order to get the games to fit?

I write for a video game/movie/book review blog that can be found here

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 10:25:47 pm »
I've considered doing this myself. Did you have to remove the pins from your cassette tape cases in order to get the games to fit?

For Game Boy and Game Boy Color games I believe you do.  GBA fits just fine.  All you need are like some wire cutters, possibly scissors could work, just cutting out one of the pins.  This takes abit more work along with doing the custom covers and printing them out on better quality paper, but if you need a temporary holder, or if you don't plan to get the boxes, but want to display them in an organized way, it's pretty good.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 11:08:52 pm »
there was this whole thread last year on the subject.

topspot123

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 06:08:25 am »

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 03:48:18 pm »
I don't know how to put a photo on here, but mine are in 6 shoeboxes at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:46:39 pm by gartcat »

razorbeamz

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 09:50:01 am »
I keep mine in binders in card sleeves, but I really need a storage method for my rumble pak carts.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 12:16:09 pm »
I keep mine in binders in card sleeves, but I really need a storage method for my rumble pak carts.

I do the same thing. It's easy to store, easy to flip through and find a game, and it protects the carts from the elements.

scott

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 08:24:13 pm »
I used to keep all of my Game Boy stuff stacked up on my desk, like this:

But then I stumbled on the idea of using Cassette cases and making custom covers, and since I'm into working in Photoshop anyway, I figured it'd be a fun little project. So now GB and GBC games are all in custom cases. The only game that doesn't fit in the tape cases is Pokemon Pinball, so it's kind of the odd kid out and lonely.

I have my GBA games in custom cases as well. But they aren't finished. you can find them in my Art thread over here: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,375.msg4724.html#msg4724
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread