Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Turns 20  (Read 4289 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Chrono Trigger Turns 20
« on: March 12, 2015, 02:20:33 pm »
One of the greatest games of all time turns 20 today.

Check out the 20th anniversary article from Retro Magazine:

http://readretro.com/news/snes-classic-chrono-trigger-turns-20/

And to celebrate, enjoy this most epic metal rendition of the Chrono Trigger Soundtrack (so freaking good!):

amauriel

Re: Chrono Trigger Turns 20
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 04:44:31 pm »
Wasn't it yesterday? If not, I posted pictures to Facebook of my cat, Magus, a day early.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 05:38:09 pm »
God! That is unbelievable. It's shit like this that makes me feel old.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 06:10:30 pm »
I'm surprised that there wasn't some kind of HD re-release or something to mark the occasion.  ???

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 08:43:03 pm »
One of the greatest games of all time turns 20 today.

Check out the 20th anniversary article from Retro Magazine:

http://readretro.com/news/snes-classic-chrono-trigger-turns-20/

And to celebrate, enjoy this most epic metal rendition of the Chrono Trigger Soundtrack (so freaking good!):

Been watching those guitar videos for the past hour LOL. Can tell he really enjoys doing them. Might have to bust out the FF Chronicles and play this.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 09:19:11 pm »
^ I'm a big fan of his.

gf78

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 02:34:30 pm »
I'm surprised that there wasn't some kind of HD re-release or something to mark the occasion.  ???

It's Square-Enix:  The company you love to hate.  I love me some Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, etc. games, but Square-Enix would rather ignore the heaps of millions in cash they could make releasing remasters of games like Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger and work on sequels nobody really wants (Lightning Returns) and mobile games.   ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

soera

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 03:39:48 pm »

It's Square-Enix:  The company you love to hate.  I love me some Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, etc. games, but Square-Enix would rather ignore the heaps of millions in cash they could make releasing remasters of games like Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger and work on sequels nobody really wants (Lightning Returns) and mobile games.   ::)

Dont think it could have been said better.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 08:23:24 pm »

Unfortunately, it seems to the be the state of gaming. As much as retro-gaming is obviously growing in popularity, the very companies responsible for many of the best retro-games are turning away from what the fans actually want. Square Enix, Capcom, and Sega are all big recent examples.

Nintendo though, man, you like retro-gaming, get yourself a 3DS and Wii U. Lots of new retro-style games (New SMB U, DCK Tropical Freeze, Kirby, NES Remix, Dr. Luigi, Yoshi's Island 2, Pier Solar, Shovel Knight, Cave Story 3D, Retro City Rampage, etc.), and tons of actual retro games via Virtual Console.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:26:24 pm by burningdoom »

spac316

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 03:05:34 am »
One of the best games of all time! I'm glad I'm old enough to remember experiencing it on the SNES!

scott

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 08:36:20 pm »
This is the only one of my "Big 3" (FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana) I still need to get a cart for. Which is unfortunate, because Chrono Trigger is always swapping the #1 spot w/ Final Fantasy III. I do own it for the PS1 and DS though, as well as the OST, so that's a plus.

I think this is one of the first games I can remember discovering it having different endings too, which blew my young mind.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

thewelshman

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 10:01:27 pm »
Chrono Trigger was the first game I actually read about and bought gaming magazines just to get a few pages of info or pictures. I never was much of an RPG fan until a good friend introduced me to Final Fantasy 6 aka III on the SNES. I was immediately hooked and actually saved up any money I could scrape together to buy a SNES and FFVI. This, of course addicted me to RPGs, and Square games in general for awhile.

During Christmas shopping the next year, my mom and I happened to be in Best Buy where I saw my holy grail, Chrono Trigger for sale. I begged and begged my mom to buy it for me. She did, but only as a Christmas gift, which was a solid month and a half/two months away. Being a 14 year old, RPG addicted, teen, I found where she had stashed the game. So I swapped it for my copy of FFVI, and played all the way to the future where you meet Robo...This was normally when I got home from school, and before she got home. An hour or so at a time. I ended up feeling guilty about breaking our deal and deleted my save.

Christmas break came, and I finally got my game, per our deal...I played it for 17 hours straight before I passed out. I still own that game, box, guide, posters and all.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:37:02 pm by thewelshman »

gf78

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 10:35:14 am »
This is the only one of my "Big 3" (FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana) I still need to get a cart for. Which is unfortunate, because Chrono Trigger is always swapping the #1 spot w/ Final Fantasy III. I do own it for the PS1 and DS though, as well as the OST, so that's a plus.

I think this is one of the first games I can remember discovering it having different endings too, which blew my young mind.

I imported a copy from Japan.  It looks nearly new.  There is just something about the Super Famicom games.  I love the way they look, the art, the shape and size of the boxes...I also really like the original Famicom boxes.  They are so tiny compared to their NES counterparts.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

thewelshman

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 12:32:55 pm »

I imported a copy from Japan.  It looks nearly new.  There is just something about the Super Famicom games.  I love the way they look, the art, the shape and size of the boxes...I also really like the original Famicom boxes.  They are so tiny compared to their NES counterparts.

I agree, I own Final Fantasy 4,5, and 6 for the Super Famicon and sometimes will just pop them out just to look at the box art. I like that some games are coming out with the reversible box art so you can have the alternate art.

Seeing Chrono Trigger being 20 years old makes me feel ancient, lol. Of course I'm 34 now and can remember playing that game non-stop. Kills me now that I'm an adult, I have all of these games to play and can't decide, but when I was 14 I had four games and played them like mad. I think Chrono Trigger was the first game I started playing and beat it all ways possible without stopping or playing another game as a buffer.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 03:59:34 pm »
Chrono Trigger is one of the few JRPG's from those days that I actually played and beat, alongside Super Mario RPG.  I'm not generally big into the sprite RPG's, but I remember really liking that game, alot of it having to do with knowing that the artwork was done by Akira Toriyama as I was a huge DBZ fan then.  Would be cool if they remastered the PS1 version of the game and got new animation done for it.