Author Topic: Favorite and Least Favorite Final Fantasy Games  (Read 4016 times)

gf78

Re: Favorite and Least Favorite Final Fantasy Games
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 01:43:03 pm »
Unfortunately, considering the trend of consoles, games are so often trying to demonstrate the tech and specs and are more interested in making a good looking game... and unfortunately a 2-D, turn-based RPG may not attract new players nowadays, and I think that's what a lot of developers are concerned with when they are developing a new game.

And that is the reality of the situation.  When Japanese developers try to stick with the traditional JRPG tropes, they got trounced in sales by Western RPG's like Mass Effect and Dragon Age.  So they adapted. 

I may love old-school RPG's, but the fact is they don't sell like they used to.  There are a fair number of old-school RPG's released for various systems, but the days of seeing a turn-based Final Fantasy are sadly, long past.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

soera

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 01:58:10 pm »
Final Fantasy VII is definitely my favorite.  I love the characters, the aesthetics of the world and the death of Aeris is one of those moments in gaming that has stuck with me.  Sephiroth is perfect as a villain because while you hate him, you feel remorse for him and what was done to him.

Final Fantasy X was probably my least favorite.  It was gorgeous, but at the time of it's release much of the exploration elements of the series was stripped away and made linear.  Combined with Titus' winy ass, I just didn't ever play much of it.  I have the HD version now and plan on playing it to see if my opinion has changed.

This is the short version of my answer.

rancesama

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 04:23:23 pm »
Out of the FF games I have played, FF IV is my all time favorite. I also had fun playing FF IV The After Years when it came out on the Wii Shop Channel. Of course, it being my favorite may have a lot to do with the fact that it was the first one I actually played. FF V and FF VI are also up in the running.

My least favorite was properly Mystic Quest or FF III (the Japanese III of course). I never got into it. I played both the NES version and the DS remake and neither really did it for me. Mystic Quest, however, was the only one that I started that I simply couldn't force myself to sit down and finish. Not because it's hard (obviously) but because it was so lack luster.

See news, reviews and more at Nintendo Frontier!

tpugmire

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 04:47:39 pm »
I've only played 1 and 2. My favorite is 1 and by default, my least favorite is 2.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

doafan

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 01:13:11 pm »
My favorite Final Fantasy game without a doubt is the VIII, I totally felt in love with Rinoa as soon as I saw her in a TV commercial, it was the first RPG that made me play it after midnight some days I even did not slept, spent more than 96 hours playing it, actually I have in my memory card the Save State that can prove this, the characters and the personalities of each one were at that age at least to me pretty cool in special Irvine Kinneas and of course Squall Leonhart, have to admit that was having a lot of problems at that age and totally felt identified with them about the least FF game that has to be the VII, dunno why but never had that reaction or attraction that made almost everybody to love it, hate me but it's true  :P

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 01:41:44 pm »
My favorite FF game has to be Crisis Core. It was one of the first Final Fantasy games I ever played and completed. Zack was a compelling character and the battles in the game were pretty epic.

My least favorite FF game is definitely XIII. I hate that game with a passion. The linearity was entirely too much. The battle system is quite terrible and boring. Paradigm shifts are fun, but continuously pressing A gets boring within the first hour or so. Hope is probably my least favorite FF character. He's extremely annoying and whiny. I've still never completed it even though I purchased again on Steam in hopes that the visuals would at least distract me from the gameplay. I've been stuck on chapter 10 for about 2 years now. I don't think I'll ever beat it.