Author Topic: BEST Video Game movie?  (Read 4192 times)

Re: BEST Video Game movie?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 12:25:39 pm »
Definitely Street Fighter. Cheesy, but I still love it.

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 01:49:11 pm »
king of kong

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 02:01:25 pm »
king of kong

Didn't even think about it, but this is the correct answer :).  Highly entertaining documentary.  Indie Game: The Movie is also excellent.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:25:18 pm by krelyan »

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

indenton

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 03:53:02 pm »
I've only seen one video game movie, that being 'Resident Evil: Extinction'.  I have yet to play any Resident Evil games so I'm in no position to give any opinions. 

I will say though that I have high hopes for the 'Ratchet & Clank' movie, it honestly looks like it 'might' be a turning point for the whole concept. 

amauriel

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 03:58:38 pm »
As far as the documentaries go, I'd like to put a vote in for Get Lamp. I love text adventures and enjoyed that one.

As far as the movies go, I'd have to vote for Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

foxhack

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 04:12:28 pm »

thekosmickollector

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 04:51:58 pm »

Yes, this is a real thing.

"CTRL-ALT-DEATH". Oh my god that looks fantastically cheap and cheesy and I want to watch it so badly. Is it any good?

foxhack

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 05:11:16 pm »
"CTRL-ALT-DEATH". Oh my god that looks fantastically cheap and cheesy and I want to watch it so badly. Is it any good?

You should know by now the answer is "Hell no." :)

spac316

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 06:33:06 pm »
To me it was the first Mortal Kombat movie from 1995. It was a fun movie with a good cast and good fan service.

indenton

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 10:57:02 pm »
I have to agree with evilnick and go with Atari: Game Over.

I think we can agree that now we're looking at 2 different kinds of films, seems pretty unfair to be comparing it to movies based on actual video games, capturing video game worlds, works of fiction which often get lost in the loop and ultimately panned by fans and critics alike.  Then we have a film based on real events which happen to be related to the video game industry.  The storyline can't be criticize because it's just true, the quality of acting is null because they're not acting. 

Does this really count as a the kind of Video game movie we're all thinking about?

rancesama

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 12:11:11 pm »
Got to be the Street Fighter movie starting Jon Claude Van Dam, right guys ... guys?

Without it, we never would have gotten Street Fighter: The Movie the game. Which is is a game, based on a movie, that's based on a game  ;D

See news, reviews and more at Nintendo Frontier!

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2015, 04:27:16 pm »

I think we can agree that now we're looking at 2 different kinds of films, seems pretty unfair to be comparing it to movies based on actual video games, capturing video game worlds, works of fiction which often get lost in the loop and ultimately panned by fans and critics alike.  Then we have a film based on real events which happen to be related to the video game industry.  The storyline can't be criticize because it's just true, the quality of acting is null because they're not acting. 

Does this really count as a the kind of Video game movie we're all thinking about?

Sure they count.  Documentaries (at least the good ones) still have to create characters and a narrative, they just do it in the editing process.  Storylines still exist (and are often stretching the "truth") and it's still a form of acting because the documentary crew has to evoke a performance from people.  The "works of fiction" get panned because they're nearly always terrible.  I have nostalgia for the MK and SF movies (which I saw in theaters as a pre-teen) and I can still get enjoyment out of them, but would never put them at the top of the heap.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

yancakes

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2015, 06:14:37 pm »
I haven't watched any of the show but there's a live action Street Fighter series that kicks off with a movie... I've watched the movie, it's hella long and insanely good. I mean it's cheesy as heck, but that's because it's pretty damn faithful to the series.

indenton

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 07:37:15 am »

Sure they count.  Documentaries (at least the good ones) still have to create characters and a narrative, they just do it in the editing process.  Storylines still exist (and are often stretching the "truth") and it's still a form of acting because the documentary crew has to evoke a performance from people.  The "works of fiction" get panned because they're nearly always terrible.  I have nostalgia for the MK and SF movies (which I saw in theaters as a pre-teen) and I can still get enjoyment out of them, but would never put them at the top of the heap.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be appreciated, I watched 'Indie Game: The Movie' and that was pretty interesting.  I just feel like having these types of movies lumped into the same category in this discussion doesn't make much sense. 

Also, I said 'acting', not 'characters'.  Whatever, they've definitely the better films being mentioned in this discussion. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:40:06 am by indenton »

foxhack

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 10:57:25 am »
Got to be the Street Fighter movie starting Jon Claude Van Dam, right guys ... guys?

Without it, we never would have gotten Street Fighter: The Movie the game. Which is is a game, based on a movie, that's based on a game  ;D