Author Topic: Bootleg Games  (Read 1377 times)

Bootleg Games
« on: May 11, 2015, 12:55:45 pm »
I found three games while cataloging what i have which appear to be bootlegs.

since these are not official releases should they still be added to the database.

These three games are

GBA: Crazy Frog Racer - This is an official game however it looks like a copy and has the incorrect nintendo code on it, instead of the crazy frog code it has the Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure code.

GBA: Wrath: Black Manta - This can was a release on the NES however it was never released on the GBA, once again it has the Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure nintendo code. AGB-APFE-USA

GBA: Digimon Rury (Ruby) - This is a know Bootleg from china and was a patch of Digimon World for the GBA

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Bootleg Games
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 01:18:22 pm »
Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to tell bootlegs from legit copies. The pirates are getting smarter. I don't think anyone knowingly added bootleg stuff.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 01:40:20 pm »
Sorry this was more of a question of should i add it, there is an unofficial release option but i didn't want to go adding things which would be a bother to the community

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 01:55:08 pm »
I'd ask Matt, he's the administrator here.

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 02:39:21 pm »
Bootlegs are allowed as long as you select "unofficial release" in release type, and explain the item specifics in the listing's details, so people do not think they're legit games. (Bootleg of X game, etc. etc.). Please do not add any ESRB or barcode data to the listings, if they exist, since those ratings are false and usually stolen off legitimate releases.

We already have a large amount of bootleg games in the database but the only identifier we have for them is "unofficial release" so there's no way to browse them on their own - yet. But yes, you can add them as long as you follow the style guide and the rule above.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 03:31:59 pm »
Thanks for the information, i have added these games not as unofficial releases with information on what they are

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 03:38:53 pm »
Since there was no lockout chip for the Nintendo Famicom and Game Boy bootlegs, multicarts, and rom-hacks were very common in Japan all the way through the 1990s. They're so numerous some people actually collect them.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:41:10 pm by badATchaos »