Author Topic: Achievements for games without achievements?  (Read 729 times)

docsarcastic

Achievements for games without achievements?
« on: May 29, 2015, 11:48:06 am »
Alright, hear me out on this one. I've played the Xbox 360 since the release date and since then I've been a go getter for achievements and rewards in games. I'm almost at 42,000 gamerscore, which might not sound like a lot, but the amount of fun I've had going after harder achievements is great, it makes you do things you wouldn't think of doing. I was reading a Kotaku article wherein the bloke who was writing explained how he plays games for achievements now. How some things in games are more tempting if you have a form of reward attached to it

This got me thinking, some people, me included, may enjoy other games if they had some form of achievement based system, like TrueAchievements but for older games like the original Xbox, Nintendo related systems and even Playstation, just something I thought I'd run by the community of VGCollect, see what you think and if it's popular then I'll assemble a team to play through some games and look for some ideas for achievements, feel free to notify me if you're interested.

I should expand on this idea, on Xbox 360, games have 1000G without DLC, it gives players something to aim for, examples being the Vidmaster achievements in Halo, completing unique objectives such as only using a specific weapon or item and so on. Here's an example of a game (Mario Kart Double Dash) that doesn't have achievements:

Mushroom Cup Victor - Finish in first place in the Mushroom Cup - 25G
Flower Cup Victor - Finish in first place in the Flower Cup - 25G
Star Cup Victor - Finish in first place in the Flower Cup - 25G
Special Cup Victor - Finish in first place in the Special Cup - 25G
50cc Victor - Finish in first place in all cups on 50cc - 50G
100cc Victor - Finish in first place in all cups on 100cc - 75G
150cc Victor - Finish in first place in all cups on 150cc - 75G
Mirror Mode Victor - Finish in first place in all cups on Mirror Mode - 100G
Pipe Cleaner - Defeat ten enemies in battle mode on Pipe Plaza - 25G
Boo! - Unlock King Boo - 10G
Petty Character - Unlock Petey the Piranha Plant - 10G
Racing King - Completed the game 100% - 100G
Toad in the hole - Unlock Toad - 10G
Toadette in the house! - Unlock Toadette - 10G
Bad luck - Go from first place to last place in one lap - 0G

Character specific achievements would be pretty neat too.

Of course, that isn't 1000G, it's just a few examples. Just something people may be interested in, worth a shot
Example: Mario Kart Double Dash Achievements

Message me somehow if you're interested in doing this, may as well give it a go.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:16:25 pm by docsarcastic »
I write books, collect games and achievements and so on. Considered pure, molten evil by many.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
- Everything

VGCollect stuff: https://vgcollect.com/about/DocSarcastic

jsoup

Re: Achievements for games without achievements?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 04:46:21 pm »
Are you familiar with RetroAchievements?
http://retroachievements.org/