Author Topic: Your collecting policy for the consoles you own  (Read 4901 times)

Your collecting policy for the consoles you own
« on: June 01, 2015, 10:58:43 am »
Essentially, what is your personal policy in regards to collecting for each of the consoles you own?

What I mean by this is, is there a console or consoles that you're going for a complete set? For another console are you just have those games that defined the console, or are you just after the games you grew up with on a specific console? Also feel free to share tidbits about a console you own that influence how you collect for it. I'll get this started:

NES: I'm actually not a huge NES fan, not having grown up with one and most having played it at friend's house growing up. Because of this I have barely any nostalgia for it, but I still can appreciate the games that defined the console. With a few exceptions, this is a console I am mostly done collecting for with only about 30 or so games in my collection for it.

SNES: While I did have one of these as a kid, my Sega Genesis was always my go to console in the early 90s. I have mad nostalgia for the DKC series, but beyond that I have stuck to collecting the must have games on the console (Metroid, Mario games, Turtles in Time, ect). Would love to someday own a CIB DKC edition console as well.

N64: Being my favorite Nintendo console of all time, i have a ton of love for this very misunderstood console. Because of this I have nearly half of all the games released on the N64, and minus 3 titles (Mario Party 3, Killer Instinct Gold, and Starcraft 64) have every game I've ever wanted for the system. I've also been wanting to get into imports on it as well.

Gamecube: I've been done collecting for the Gamecube for a while, focusing on all the must have games on the console, as well as games I thought looked interesting. It's my least favorite 6th gen console, but I still love it.

Wii: While 95% of its library is garbage, that 5% make it totally worth owning! I have been trying to get the remaining 15 or so titles I'd still like to own on the Wii, which thanks to Gamestop has been fairly easy to do.

Wii U: Been picking up interesting titles for this console as they've been coming out mostly. I think I'm at about 10 games, and just recently picked up Splatoon.

PS1: I LOVE this console, and have not only been picking up the must have, console-defining games, but also hidden gems and oddities on the console as well. It's my second biggest sub-collection in my overall video game collection.

PS2: My second favorite console of all time, mostly because there are so many amazon games on the console, I just keep on finding stuff I want for it, making this collection balloon even more. I've focused this collection on must haves, gems, nostalgic games, and just strange titles that might be fun. Focusing on these alone, I am at around 340 games on the PS2. Sadly, I am at the end of my journey in actively collection for the system, with only one game left I'm still searching for.

PS3: My favorite 7th gen console, I have been heavily collecting for it over the past year, with so many excellent titles for it. There are still about 50 or so titles I'd like to someday own for the system as well.

Genesis: I have a lot of nostalgia for this system and have focused on collecting games I owned or rented as a kid and must have titles that defined the system mostly.

Saturn: I currently collect Japanese imports only since they are generally cheaper than their US counterparts, and there are so many awesome games we never got over here. I would love to someday collect some of the US RPGs, but that will have to wait until I have a lot of money to spare.

Dreamcast: My favorite console of all time and the only console I've ever put serious thought into going for a complete set on. Currently fleshing out a few more interesting titles on this system, as well as imports.

XBOX:A very under appreciated console, that has so many awesome games to offer. I've been done collecting for this system for a long time, but still find titles here and there that look interesting enough to pick up.

XBOX 360: I'm not a huge fan of this system, but it has enough exclusives that I choose to collect for i still. There are roughly about 15 more exclusives for it I'd like to get before I'm done.

abe

Re: Your collecting policy for the consoles you own
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:29:00 am »
Judging by the title and your post, we're not counting handelds, are we? :'(

NES (through Retro Duo)
    -Seeing as I only have two games, I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be for my NES collection. My collection for the system grows so slowly because of the high prices for most of the really good games and lack of good sources for "retro" stuff in my area.

SNES/SFC (through Retro Duo)
    -Pretty much the same boat as the NES. I've also been importing some Super Famicom games as well, since they're still pretty cheap in comparison to the SNES.

N64
    -Again, similar story to the previous two on the list.

GameCube
    -Probably my favorite Nintendo console after the SNES. I'm lacking a lot of really important exclusives that I really want for the system (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is currently my most wanted game for the system).

Wii
    -While I'm not quite done collecting for the system yet, I've gotten quite a few of the exclusives for the system that I've really wanted. Most of its games are still pretty inexpensive too, so it shouldn't be too long before I've gotten all of the Wii games I've ever really had interest in.

PS2
    -The PS2 probably has the most games contributing to my wishlist spreadsheet, and I'm even farther from completing my PS2 wishlist than my PS3 wishlist.

PS3
    -I've got quite a few games for it so far, but because it's my favorite console of its generation there's still a couple hundred or so games left that I'd like to get a hold of before I'm done collecting for the console (which won't be any time soon).

PS4
    -The console is still very young and its games are still fairly expensive, so I really only buy games I plan on playing immediately.

XBOX 360
    -There's a very short list of exclusives for the console that I'm really interested in.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

Hayabusa1021

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 11:51:17 am »
If a console has a game that I have an interest in, then I'll get the console and the game. It's as simple as that. I would be dissatisfied if I had a very small amount of games on a console but I'm not going to waste my time and money getting games I have no interest in. So, if it comes down to having just one game on a console so be it, but that probably won't happen.

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 12:02:04 pm »
My collecting "policy" is a lot like music CD collecting to me and it's fairly straightforward - I only buy what I like or what looks appealing to me. Of course, I do have the goal of acquiring all of the games I remember playing as kid as well (rentals, borrowed, games that weren't mine), and 99% of those I still believe to be worth my time and effort. This I pretty much apply to all consoles, I don't really have separate goals per console. I used to think that I would only buy a certain series on one platform only, but I've mostly dropped that. The Xbox 360 was my default multi-platform, and I still do try to stick with that, while buying mostly exclusives for PS3. I'm even thinking about scrapping that, because third party PS3 titles are dropping in value faster than their 360 counterparts in some cases.

So it's pretty much one policy goes for all. But for the sake of something fun to talk about -

NES - Nostalgic console, still missing a few childhood games, and about 30 others to wrap up the extent of my interest on the platform.

SNES - Super nostalgic console, still missing several childhood games, and probably countless amounts of others I've not heard of.

N64 - Nostalgia to the 64th power, I've got all the games I used to play back in the day, but still a few more I want and random budget titles I keep finding that look cool.

GameCube - Mostly done with it, still need Metroid Prime 2 and a few others I've always wanted to have. I don't care to own any of the super expensive oddities.

Wii - Oddities, oddities, oddities! Still more oddities I'd like to grab, but got all the main games I want covered.

Wii U - I want to play catchup a bit so that I can just buy a new release as it drops. At the Wii U's rate, it's very doable.

PS1 - So many random games. Really a lot of platforming and RPGs I still want to get.

PS2 - Guess I could say mostly done here, just a few oddities/hidden gems left.

PS3 - Exclusives, exclusives. It's pretty much a game of keep up now. Although my interest is diminishing in these first person dungeon crawlers being cranked out by NIS and Atlus. I've kind of stopped paying attention.

Master System - Just too hard to find games for. I don't really have the drive to collect for a system where I have to buy everything from eBay, ya know

Gen - I'm rarely actively looking, but I stumble across stuff. Have the games from my childhood, which weren't much. Still plenty of stuff I want.

Saturn - Mostly done, there are some highly coveted gems I still want to get some day. I only ever collected NA games.

Dream - Still missing games I used to play, plus a slew of others I've never heard of that look cool.

XBOX - Mostly done, still some oddities I'd like to get.

360 - Some late releases I've neglected to pick up mostly, because GS refuses to price drop many of them.

Game Gear - I really want to collect more for this, but can't find the time or the money. eBay is the only hunting ground.

DS - I've got most of my main interests covered, but still oddities remain, most of the library is oddities.

3DS - Mostly caught up, oddities again. Damn you oddities!

PSP - A lot of RPGs that I've given up on actively hunting.

Vita - Trying to play keep up, but somehow failing as easy as it should be.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 12:08:39 pm by Warmsignal »

pizzasafari

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:13:29 pm »
Well I'm counting handhelds.  8)
Just going in the same order you did:

NES - I was born a little too late to have the same attachment to it a lot of older collectors do, but that's not to say I don't like the games. 'Course I do. There aren't many games I want for it at the moment though, I don't have very many and my collection for it isn't likely to get much bigger anytime soon, but maybe someday I'll work on it more.

SNES - This one's tricky. A lot of the games I want for it never had a European release, so before I get serious about collecting for the SNES I want to try and pick up an American console. My collection is pretty small, but right now I have most of the games I want for it that I'm able to play. Still a few more I'd like to get though.

N64 - I grew up with the PS1 rather than the N64, so most of the games I'd want on the N64 I already have on PS1, but I'd still like the exclusives. My collection for it is fairly small, but I'd love to get boxed versions of my loose games and a few other exclusives I don't have.

GCN - Again, this wasn't the console I primarily played of this gen, so I'm not likely to get many games for it until I start getting enough money to blindly buy games. I can't think of any games I really want for it that I don't already have at the moment. A few that'd be nice to have, but not priorities.

Wii - Personally, not really a fan of the Wii. There are a few games on it I love but I can't really think of any other games I want to buy for it.

GB/GBC - Not really a priority at all. I can't really think of any games I want for it.

GBA - There are a few games I want for the GBA, but again, not really a priority.

DS - I kind of go in phases with my DS collection, most of the time I ignore it but every now and then I find a game I love for it and decide to buy more games for it, then I forget about it again. I can't think of anything in particular I want to buy for it at the moment but that's liable to change sometime soon. Not really a fan of the design of the console itself though personally.

3DS - Of the two modern handhelds I'm prioritising my Vita collection right now. Not really a fan of the 3DS's design for the same reasons as the original DS though. It'd be nice to get Fire Emblem: Awakening sometime soon, but other than that there's really nothing else I want for it.

PS1 - Aww yeah. This was the console of my childhood, and there are a lot of games I used to have that for one reason or another I don't have anymore, so I'm trying to work on getting those back. I'm not sure how much I'll prioritise collecting for it once I have them all though.

PS2 - Pretty much my go-to console for collecting, since the games are dirt cheap and CEX still sells mountains of them. I'll usually pick up any game I find for it that's cheap enough and doesn't look crappy, but there are still a number of not-as-cheap games I'm after for it.

PS3 - Considering I originally primarily played Xbox 360 in this gen, it's pretty impressive how much my PS3 collection has managed to swamp my 360 collection. Of all my non-handheld consoles I probably enjoy collecting for this one the most, since no games can really be called outdated on it and it's not by Microsoft. Ew, Microsoft. There're always more games I want for it, especially since they're still making games for it.

PSP - I have a love/hate relationship with this thing. I absolutely hate the design of the console, but there are quite a few games I want to play on it. I keep hearing about games for it that sound interesting for the PSP though so there's still a fair bit I want to buy for it.

Vita - Easily one of the most underrated consoles out there. I love this thing. I like collecting for the Vita more than any of my other consoles but right now I'm struggling to find more games I want to play on it. There are a few I'd like to pick up, but once I have those I'll just be waiting for more releases.

Master System - I bought my MS pretty much on a whim, I know next to nothing about its game library so I'm not really buying anything for it just yet.

Mega Drive - I also don't really know of many games for this one other than what I already have. Couple of games I do want to try and pick up for it sometime, but for this gen I prefer collecting for the SNES.

Saturn - This thing is bloody hard to collect for. My collection is pretty tiny, there are several games I want for it but they cost way too much, so this collection isn't going to get much love.

Dreamcast - I don't really know about this one. I've heard a hell of a lot of praise for the Dreamcast but I'm really struggling to find games for it that look interesting to me. There are still quite  a few games I want to get for it though, but once I have those I'm not sure how much bigger my DC collection is going to get.

Xbox - This one defined my later childhood/early teens. Definitely agree about it being underappreciated, there are so many awesome hidden gems on this console. I'm pretty happy with my Xbox collection but as usual there are a few games I don't have yet that I'd like to get.

Xbox 360 - I haven't really touched this one since getting my PS3, nowadays mostly out of principle. I've got all the exclusives I want for it, anything else I'll just get on PS3.

WonderSwan - I have no idea why I bought this thing, but I have one now. I've only got the Final Fantasy 2 that came with it, it's hard to find games I can play without being able to understand Japanese but Judgement Silversword would be nice to have.

Am I doing it right?

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 12:44:41 pm »
For systems I use to own, and recollecting for: Get all old games I use to own first, than move onto popular games, games I wanted as a kid but never got.

Already owned systems: Keep collecting for games Ive always wanted. I have massive list for each system. While not full sets, its still a lot.
Also, for certain friends, i am picking up games they like, for example, my best friend is a RE fan, so i buy the ones he likes. Just because.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

doafan

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 12:55:56 pm »
Interesting post and before leaving my comments I have to totally agree with Hayabusa1021  ;D

* NES: Without a doubt this is my main console for collection purposes and even when there are so many awesome games there are crap titles too, don't want to collect all of the cartridges, my policy here and my first priority are those games that I played as a Kid, then those that are becoming rare but not only because it's rare it means that I'll purchase, those that are pure crap like The Cheetahmen will definitely won't be here, and for the rest if it's good and the price is accessible it will be added.

* Playstation / Playstation 2: Almost have all those games that I wanted to play with some little exceptions most of them from Capcom like Dino Crisis 2, Strider, Strider 2 and some fighting titles like King of Fighters XI also some Japanese releases, already have an Action Replay system and with this one I can play these ones where my main goal is the fighting Sengoku Basara X Cross.

* GameCube: Same as Sony consoles where are some titles that need to have them but they are not that important like Mega Man Legends where already have almost all of the games at the NES, priority here are familiar games and those that I can play with my daughter like Mario Party and some sports exclusives with Nintendo's characters.

* Nintendo 64: There are only one priority here and it's Conker's Bad Fur Day and that's all, don't get the wrong idea, there are so many awesome titles here but most of them are first person titles and since I have a vision problem that make me sick every time that I play at least the 90% of the time these kind of games.

* Super NES: Priority here is like the NES and because it's another of the consoles that I played the most as a kid.

* Wii: This is the one with less games and even when they are some exclusive titles, the priority here is only those games that I see at the reviews and I really like them also some that my friends told me that I need to purchase.

* Game Boy / Game Boy Color: Again don't want to collect them all, this isn't Pokemon you know, priority here are those fun titles and those from the genre puzzle, why ?, even when I have the Super Game Boy I do enjoy a lot playing with the real thing, it bring me a lot of awesome memories back every time so if the game doesn't have these requirement I'll wont be added.

* Nintendo DS: This one it's another one at the bottom of the priorities list, just need if am not wrong at least five titles, purchased this one just for some exclusives titles like The Legend of Zelda, Mario Bros series, most of them from Nintendo.

* Game Boy Advance: Only need two titles, priority here was purchased the same day as this one.

* Dreamcast: Those games that I tested with the copies of the GD-ROM and I totally felt in love with them, like Canon Spike, Shenmue, Soul Calibur and maybe some others, priority is not the big deal here since there is always easy to play them in the original console, sorry but it's true.

* Xbox 360: This one was purchased only for the Gears of War saga, priority here are just those titles that have boobs and blood but in my personal opinion they aren't that much, at least 10 more.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 01:07:33 pm »
NES: My favorite System and I want them all!  Except Stadium events.  I'll be happy with a complete set -1.

SNES: I have a lot of love for this one.  I pick up games as I find them cheap or if it's something I really want.  I'm a little more picky with the SNES.  I don't have any intentions of getting a full set.

N64: I love the N64, but it's not for the same reasons most people do.  I am here for Rogue Squadron and Wrestling Games. 
I'm probably going to go for a full set since I have most of the hard to find ones out of the way.  Hell, I have more Boxed games for this than any other paper box system. (Yes, I just coined a phrase.  Paper Box System: A system who's games came in cardboard boxes meant to the thrown away.)

Gamecube: This adorable Purple Lunchbox.  I like the GameCube a whole lot.  A lot of the games are still very good.  I just pick up games I want to play for this one.  Or I'll buy it if it's cheap and I don't have it.

Wii: I buy a lot of Wii games.  It's fun.  They're cheap and there were some really good games for the system. You just have to dig through the trash to find them. 

Wii U: I buy to play.  I preorder stuff.  I have found a few games for $5 or $10, so I bought those too.  This is getting the most playtime at the house right now.

PS1: Eff the PS1.  I don't know why, but Eff it.  I get the collectable games if they're.  I don't really like many games on the console.

PS2: See my PS1 comments

PS3: I really dig the PS3.  It has some good exclusives.  I one up at a yardsale for $5 a few years ago, and I've been hooked ever since.  It gets a lot of playtime.

Genesis: I really like some Genesis games.  I don't like most Genesis games.  Sonic sucks.  I buy the games if they're not sports games and they have the box.  I love those clamshell boxes.

Saturn: I'll buy them if I find them for a reasonable price (read:cheap).  I don't really care about the system one way or another.  I really want to like it, but I just don't know.  A Sega Saturn is actually what got me to start collecting outside of NES.  I found one at a goodwill for $5 (I think).  That opened me up to collecting everything.

Dreamcast: I really like the Dreamcast.  It is actually one of my favorite systems.  I like all the arcade-y type games on it.  It's fun to play in short bursts.  I collect to play on this one.  I don't have too many games, but I have a good time.

XBOX: I don't pick up much for the Xbox anymore.  I have all the games I want I think.  The Xbox does have one of my favorite games of all time on it, Knights of the Old Republic. 
This is about the point where I quit caring about collecting for systems.  Everything got to complicated and involved. 

XBOX 360: I don't even play my 360 anymore.  I had a lot of fun with it, but it's going to be put out to pasture soon.  I have a bunch of games.  I played most of them.  I just don't see myself collecting for it. It just doesn't have that appeal. 

Atari 2600: I have several.  The games have cool artwork.  I just never play it.  I'll get stuff if it's cheap.  I'm not going to jump any deeper into atari collecting.

Intellivision: I have one.  I've played it once.  It just doesn't do it for me.  I have some games.  This is about the same boat as the Atari.

GameBoy: I get stuff that looks interesting.  I play them every now and then.  I don't go out of my to collect them, but I like grabbing a game once in a while

Sega Master System:  This is a fun one to collect for.  It's easy to get games that weren't released here.  There are so many good games on the Master System.  The boxes all look cool on the shelf too.  Most of the prices aren't too ridiculous, too.

stealthrush

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 03:13:28 pm »
As for my collection of games, they are rather games I've decided to keep over the years since I find them timelessly enjoyable. Many of the consoles I own, are the exact ones I've bought during the time of launch. Since I'm not a collector, I discard any shovelware games immediately. Over the years I've sold majority of games for my systems and kept my favorites.

NES: When I was still a very young boy my parents bought me a brand new Nintendo Entertainment System with Super Mario Bro. / Duck Hunt package. Every week we should go down to our local video rental store to rent 1 NES games to play. I grew up playing Mega Man, Double Dragon, Kirby, Mario, Little Nemo, amongst other NA released games. To this day I still own the exact (not working) console without box/misc. For now I do not play, or buy any games for it.

SNES: The second console my parents bought me growing up in the 90s soon after NES was SNES with Super Mario World. This would be my console for my childhood years. My neighbor owned the Sega Genesis and I remember frequently playing over his home, and he would visit to play SNES at mine. In the same fashion as NES, I have rented 1 game every-week for many years experiencing and playing plethora of NA-released games. From Kirby series, Mega Man X series, Pocky and Rocky, Contra III, etc. Back then I did not own many actual games since I've rented them, but for today I still own at least 5 actual CIB SNES games from my childhood growing up.

GB: Around the time of SNES days, my parents bought me a Game Boy Pocket (green). Owning under 5 games, my main use was eventually playing Pokémon (Blue Version) during the craze. Went ahead and bought a link cable and would challenge and trade fellow friends at middle school. To this day I still own my original Game Boy Pocket and set of Pokémon cards I've had growing up. I do not collect for this system.

Saturn: During the 32-bit wars, I remember very clearly, I would subscribe to many video game magazines at the time (Game Fan, EGM, Game Pro) and would debate which next console I should buy. PlayStation has been on the shelve for a few months now, Nintendo 64 debuted, but my decision as to go for Sega Saturn. Since it one of my all-time favorite arcade games growing up; Die Hard Arcade. I would play that game at my local arcade for hours. Eventually buying a PlayStation, Sega Saturn was very enjoyable at the time. I've sold majority of my NA-released games to this day. And recently sold my actual original NA-released Sega Saturn console (modded) in order to focus my collecting/playing on JPN Sega Saturn titles instead. To this day its one of my favorite consoles of all-time.

PlayStation: Not convinced in the system library of games at time it took me a few years to jump on board. Around 1998 I bought PS1 since my friend introduced me to a few gems he had; Trap Gunner / Mega Man X4 / Silhouette Mirage. Those games made me want the console. I collect/play obscure titles domestic and imported for this console.

N64: I was never interested in this system. It always felt gimmicky, and majority of the games were dull and repetitive to me. My friend gave me his console with zero games and one controller. I do not collect/play games on this console.

Dreamcast: Very similar fashion to Sega Saturn, my favorite arcade games were being released to this system (Marvel Vs. Capcom, Power Stone, and Spawn: In the Demon Hand) all which I've played extensively at my local arcade. To this day its one of my favorite consoles of all-time. I do not collect for this console, I wish to in the future.

PSP: I've bought the PSP with no intention to playing games instead using it as a translator on my travels to Japan. Using the software Talkman. My only interest are imported shmups, beat'em ups, and fighters

NDS: My friend convinced me in buying a Nintendo DS Lite. One of my favorite handhelds, since it also has a port for GBA games as well. I've bought a handful of NA-released NDS and GBA games for it. I do not play it much now.

GameCube: Was giving to as a gift, was not a fan of the system. Found a few exclusive gems that were worthwile, I still own today. Only collect/play specific imported titles.

PS2: From the gap between Dreamcast - Xbox (which I loathe) I owned a PS2. This time around I've bought many games (not intending to collect) and still own majority, many being exclusive. I still collect/play PS2 to this day. I collect/play domestic and imported games.

PC-Engine: My latest addition to my collection of systems is NEC PC-Engine I've acquired a few years back. My goal is to play many of the best games the system has to offer. Turbo Everdrive helping as well.

PC-Engine CD: See above. ^^

Xbox 360: Online-fighting games only.

Wishlist for future consoles; PS3, SMS, NeoGeo-CD, PC-FX, and FM Towns Marty.

Notice: I forgot to mention I have played 95% of all officially released Sega Dreamcast JPN/NA games, majority of exclusive (english-playable) JPN Sony PlayStation games (via modchip) and majority of obscure (english-playable) JPN Sega Saturn games (via internal modchip) All thanks to torrents- specifically now defunct, Underground-Gamer. I still have hundreds of my physical burned today. Eventually ruining my original Sega Saturn console lens and gear. My Dreamcast can hardly read any more as well.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 04:09:38 pm by stealthrush »

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 05:07:18 pm »
PC:
Does it have stupid DRM? If no, buy it.

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 09:20:52 pm »
I don't think I have enough consoles to provide a rundown on each, but for me my personal collecting policy has been this:

I'd like to get one of each console at some point, though I'm drawn right now to the ones that have a more diverse library, then I'll branch out to the other ones. The SNES or Genesis will probably be the next console I'll get.

When it comes to buying games, I plan on only buying games that I have an interest in playing. I really don't like buying games that I won't play and that will just sit on my shelf. Even if it's a $2 bargain bin game, I can't do it; it's just not my taste. It means I will probably never go for a complete set of any console  :o That may change as my collection fills out and start to acquire all the stuff I like/want.

I also really want to play/beat all the games I buy too. I really value playing the games that I buy (like I said above). It just completes the experience and makes it more worthwhile to me. Probably means that I will have the slowest building game collection of all time, but for me I think that means I can get a lot of millage out of both game hunting and playing with the stuff that I like.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:23:23 pm by woahsweetgreyphix »

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 09:54:43 pm »
This is a tough one for me. My policies/plans usually change depending on what I feel like lol. I love all the systems I have, but right now most of my policies are collecting exclusives first. Well here is what my policies are now:

* NES- I know I have no chance in getting this collection to 100%. First I want to collect games I have played as a kid. Then maybe start trying to collect it. Not my top priority right now.

* SNES- I am sort of following the same policy here as the NES right now. It may change.

* Sega Genesis (Mega Drive) - Lately, this one has been in the way back list of my priorities. I love the Genesis, but there are only a few games left for me to find that I have played as a kid. Not really interested in 100% this collection.

*Sega CD- This one right now I am attempting to 100% collect. Yes....I know....I'm lame lol. Every time I go to a flea market, retro game store, or garage sales, I tend to look for these.

* 3DO- I am just starting with this collection, but I also look for these games as often as I can.

* CD-i - I just started this collection as I got the CD-i as a gift for Christmas. Right now I am just collecting games that interest me. May work on 100% though I know it will put a hole in my wallet.

* Sega Saturn - Also just started with this collection. Only working on interesting games right now.

* Dreamcast - I really enjoy most of the games on this system. I may try to complete it. However it is another collection I just started on. I am happy to say though I just recently bought a few of them recently at a Con I went to.

* PS1 - My PS1 collection is mostly games I like to play.  Not really in my priorities, but I will tend to pick some up for the right price.

* Xbox - Right now I am only focusing on exclusives.

* Gamecube- Exclusives only at this point.

* Wii - Exclusives

*Wii U - Exclusives

*PS2 - My favorite system. 100% this collection is the top of my list. No where near close to it though....

*PS3 - Exclusives only.

*Xbox 360- Various games as of right now. I don't really have a rule/policy. If there is a game I want, I normally get the 360 version.

* Gameboy - If I find any for a decent price, I normally pick a couple up.

*Gameboy Advance - Exclusives

* PSP- Exclusives only. I have no interest of completing this collection.

*DS - Exclusives as of now.

*3DS - Exclusives

*Game Gear - I very rarely pick anything up for this system. I mostly get them from garage/yard sales here and there.

I think I got all the systems I have.  Though these lists of priorities might change over time.  ;)
Currently Playing: Game & Wario

maximo310

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 10:12:59 pm »
Here's my policy
NES/SNES/N64-  I pick up stuff that I want, although I'd like a decent price on it, mostly stuff I can't get on other platforms. Imports work pretty easily on SNES/N64 as well and are cheaper most of the time as well than NTSC.
Gamecube- This is the set that I'm gonna 100%, so I'm picking up everything, although I do take my time on the pricer stuff to see if I can get a good deal. Lots of good stuff.
Wii- Mostly exclusives and some defenitive versions/collections of games. I'm surprised at how much good stuff is left to get still.
Wii U- Mostly exclusives at the moment. Looking forward to games going down in price in the near future.
PS1- I mix and match exclusives/ multiplats since sometimes some of the arcade ports on PS1 turned out to better than the Saturn( although this is expensive for some games).
PS2- Mostly exclusive games now, there's a lot of games to be had and they're pretty cheap for the most part still.
PS3- Exclusive games and most multiplats ( for now), lots of good games on here as well, although not as much variety as PS2. Region-free defenitely helps the game selection as well too.
Xbox- Exclusives. Pretty cheap system as well.
Xbox 360- Exclusives and a few multiplats. But mostly exclusives( although a Jap X360 is needed to enjoy a good number of these).
GB/GBC/GBA- Exclusives.
DS/3DS- Exclusives. DS has lots of cheap import titles ( for the most part), unfortunately 3DS is locked atm.
PSP/PS Vita- Exclusives.
Saturn- Exclusives. Unforuntately, even with importing, most of the good stuff has become ridicuolously expensive.
Dreamcast- ^ Same as above, but there are more affordable games available.

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 10:16:09 pm »
Wow, everyone seems to have such detail in their responses! xD

My policy is actually pretty simple lol. I'll usually walk into a GameStop/other store, and just look around at games for any console I own. I guess I kind of jump back-and-forth between handhelds and consoles, so that generally determines where I start.

Usually, my process just goes like this:

1. Consider how much I'm willing to spend (or, skip to 2 haha)
2. See what's in stock
3. Is it something I want?
4. Is it super cheap? (good for adding meat to the collection's bones)
5. Console preferences
--In either case, is it a complete game? If not, I generally put it back (if I'm going to pay for it, I want all of what I'm paying for.)

Sometimes I'll go shopping with a plan, but other times I'll just browse and see what the store has available. There's a lot of games I'd like to have in my collection just to have them (Lost Odyssey, Lollipop Chainsaw, Kane & Lynch), so more than likely there's always something I'd be interested in getting. But I tend to give priority to something that piques my interest in particular, especially if it's kinda pricey.

Now that I've finished college and will be working a full-time job, however, I'm sure my methods might change a bit. At times when I have more pocket cash available (like right now) I'll be willing to drop more at one time to get some games that I'd like to own.

Today, for example, GameStop had a complete Pheonix Wright, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Cooking Mama #1, Persona Q, and Hatsune Miku game. Even though I wanted Persona Q, due to the price I decided to spontaneously buy the Hatsune Miku game and Castlevania, as well as Cooking Mama. I wanted to get Castlevania before I go overseas (since it may not be so readily available afterward, as I prefer to buy my games in person, and I've also heard PoR is good), and I really just wanted to dress up Vocaloids in cute outfits PD2 sounded interesting for a change, and it's kinda hard to find a decent variety of used Vita games around here.

And I got Cooking Mama, because it was less than $2.  :P

So yeah, it just depends. xD As of right now, I'm trying to collect for my handhelds more, since I'll probably take my Vita and 3DS overseas with me in a couple of weeks. I used to play handhelds during the gameboy age, stopped for a bit, and got back into them later. Since next gen consoles are not really an option for me right now, I'm gravitating more toward handhelds, though that'll probably change once I get a new console.

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 10:35:50 pm »
is it something i would like to play?
is it something my daughter would like to play?
is it a good price?
do i have some of the games in this series?
do i own the console?