Author Topic: Anyone else use an emulator so you don't have to dig your old cartridges out?  (Read 6389 times)

gf78

Just curious if anyone else does this.  I enjoy emulation, for the mere fact that I can play games on a single unit without dragging my older consoles that I have packed up out of the closet. 

I mentioned it in another thread, but I've been playing ROMS on my Galaxy S6 with a Moga Hero Power controller.  I physically own one or more versions of the games that I have downloaded ROMS for as I'm a collector who likes to have tangible things and I personally don't believe in piracy of copyright works. 

It's a bit of a grey area.  Some people emulate anything they can get their hands on.  Some won't touch it.  For me, if I own physical copies of something like Mega Man for the NES, playing a backup of the same software isn't piracy. 

...and it's pretty bad-ass to lay in bed before I go to sleep with my S6 attached to the Moga and play classic titles.  All without Nintendo or anyone else double-dipping on a sale.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

doafan

I do use the Fusion for the Sega Genesis and for the NES I do use the NesterCD in the Dreamcast, nothing beats to play the game in the original console but I can always made and exception for those cartridges that I don't own, in the past did enjoyed a lot playing those Neo Geo titles but just to practice at home, always love to see you opponent defeated when is next to you in the arcade  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

stealthrush

Just curious if anyone else does this.  I enjoy emulation, for the mere fact that I can play games on a single unit without dragging my older consoles that I have packed up out of the closet. 

I mentioned it in another thread, but I've been playing ROMS on my Galaxy S6 with a Moga Hero Power controller.  I physically own one or more versions of the games that I have downloaded ROMS for as I'm a collector who likes to have tangible things and I personally don't believe in piracy of copyright works. 

It's a bit of a grey area.  Some people emulate anything they can get their hands on.  Some won't touch it.  For me, if I own physical copies of something like Mega Man for the NES, playing a backup of the same software isn't piracy. 

...and it's pretty bad-ass to lay in bed before I go to sleep with my S6 attached to the Moga and play classic titles.  All without Nintendo or anyone else double-dipping on a sale.

Yes and No.

I use emulation in the past, usually as a way to determine whether or not a game is enjoyable to purchase. Also had a complete set of SMS game catalog on my Dreamcast at one point. More recently, I've used emulation to run fan-translated ROMS that won't damage my actual hardware on PC. I agree with you on owning one or more versions of the game and not believing in piracy of copyright works.

As for reproductions i'm all for them. Especially the incredibly pricey games; Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, Magical Chase and Renny Blaster to name a few. Just as long as they won't damge my actual hardware (I understand it wont be 100% safe) in a major way.

woahsweetgreyphix

For me, I used to emulate a few GBA games on VisualBoy, but now I don’t do it anymore. The only games that I don’t feel bad about emulating are Japanese games that weren’t released in NA (like Mother 3). I personally don’t see the point of spending money on a game that wasn’t released in America and I can’t understand. Especially with an RPG that requires you to understand the text to be able to move forward in the game. I guess that might be just me though haha

I think that the people really hurt by emulation are used game stores, or if a Sony or Nintendo decides to re-release a game for download on PSN or the virtual console (because why by the used game at the store when you can just emulate it).
But how do you know that a game store or Nintendo will ever have or release that certain game you really want to play? What if the game is really expensive and you don't have the money? It’s pretty complex and certainly a point of controversy.  :-\

EDIT: Let me add that if Mother 3 WAS released in NA, I would buy the crap out of that, even though I've already played it  :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:48:28 pm by woahsweetgreyphix »

turf

PRO Supporter

I have a modded Wii with emulators on it in my bedroom.  Sometimes I just want to play for a few minutes before bed. 
I have Retron5 in the living room since it's HDMI.
If I'm in my game room it's the real deal for every system.   We keep it real back there.

I use an Ouya as an emulator machine and it does about 70% of my systems just fine. N64 emulation is still shaky but that's no big loss. Thinking heavily of getting an Nvidia Shield to replace the Ouya soon since the ouya seems to be a dying machine. Oh well it had a good run and I got my $70 out of it.

I've started emulating almost everything I play from the 4th gen and older. Why? Because it is way more convenient to play it on my laptop with a controller than to dig the games out (assuming I have them) and play them on the TV. Also, games from the 4th gen and older have become so expensive and hard to come by, it is really the best way to enjoy titles from that era. In addition to this, emulation for SNES, NES, Genesis, TG16 and many of those consoles is 98% identical to the console at this point. Emulation used to be something I could not stand, but it really isn't so bad when you just want to play a game without paying a fortune on Ebay for a physical cart.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

My laptop is all jacked up so no. Gotta get the keyboard fixed first.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

Limeface

PRO Supporter

Emulation is a funny thing. I have nothing against it, but for me if I own the actual game, I want to play it on it's original controller. Something about playing the game in it's "original form" so to speak.

dashv

PRO Supporter

I don't mind emulation in the Retron 5 and Sega CDs playing in my XBox sense.

I like gaming on my TV with a familiar feeling controller.

I also like reading manuals and enjoying box art.

Warmsignal

Don't have one, and don't plan to use one. Particularly with the games that I do own, it seems stupid. I spent the time and money to buy them. Plus, I'm oldschool in that I like to do things the way I've always done them, and the way they're meant to be done. To quote James Rolfe - "I can't see myself hunched over a keyboard no, playing a game is sitting back on a couch with a controller in my hand, this is the real deal". Plus with emulators you're always half tempted to cheat the game with save states and changing the speed, or whatever the kids are into these days, which is also pointless. I want to just play it the way it was made, preferably.

Maybe if I thought there was no chance to ever get a copy, and I absolutely had to play it. But being honest, that's not gonna happen. Have too many actual games I need to play to worry about those I can't afford.  :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:01:31 pm by Warmsignal »

foxhack

Don't have one, and don't plan to use one. Particularly with the games that I do own, it seems stupid. I spent the time and money to buy them. Plus, I'm oldschool in that I like to do things the way I've always done them, and the way they're meant to be done. To quote James Rolfe - "I can't see myself hunched over a keyboard no, playing a game is sitting back on a couch with a controller in my hand, this is the real deal". Plus with emulators you're always half tempted to cheat the game with save states and changing the speed, or whatever the kids are into these days, which is also pointless. I want to just play it the way it was made, preferably.

Maybe if I thought there was no chance to ever get a copy, and I absolutely had to play it. But being honest, that's not gonna happen. Have too many actual games I need to play to worry about those I can't afford.  :D

Seems like Mr. Rolfe needs to get himself a media PC. So he can play on his couch. With wireless pads. :P

I'm fine with using emulators even if I don't have the game.  My tv is my monitor/computer, so there's difference for me and I can just use a 360 controller to play the games just fine.  Not really worried about piracy with games that released 20+ years ago lol

I could be turned around through other methods though.  Like there's an HDMI NES in the works that someday might get released and you put that with an emulator cart and a new NES controller with clicky buttons, and you have the best experience for NES gaming there is.  It's better than playing a brand new NES lol

yancakes

Nope. I only use emulation for games I don't have. I don't even have all of my systems set up- so when I want to play Genesis? I dig it out and set it up.

i did when i was younger and didn't have the means to own the games themselves, but i've always hated it
doesn't feel authentic
using the real hardware is part of the fun, especially when it comes to controllers
hell, i usually lose interest if i buy the games legit on virtual console only to find them in the wild later and play 'em all the way through
could be some sort of old dude mentality. i dunno