Author Topic: Anyone else use an emulator so you don't have to dig your old cartridges out?  (Read 6519 times)

turom

PRO Supporter

The feeling I have playing those games on my 30' Trinitron CRT with the original hardware is the main reason I'm collecting, no emulators for me!
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

gf78

Emulation is a funny thing. I have nothing against it, but for me if I own the actual game, I want to play it on it's original controller. Something about playing the game in it's "original form" so to speak.

I know what you mean about the controller.  Picking up an old NES controller to play a game, it immediately feels familiar in your hands.  Same for any other console. 

But man, having all my carts emulated on my phone, laying in bed...I can acclimate to the slightly different feel of the Moga!   ;)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

I also like reading manuals and enjoying box art.

A dying breed my friend.  Sad that today's games barely come in a box if you are lucky and so many are just digital download only.   :'(
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

kashell

I used to play SNES games on emulators back in the day, but nowadays I prefer the real thing. I'm thankful that emulation is possible, though. I was able to play Tales of Phantasia, Secret of Mana 2 and a bunch of other great SNES RPGs that never made it this side thanks to both emulation and the dedication of some hardworking "fanslators."

gf78

Don't have one, and don't plan to use one. Particularly with the games that I do own, it seems stupid. I spent the time and money to buy them. Plus, I'm oldschool in that I like to do things the way I've always done them, and the way they're meant to be done. To quote James Rolfe - "I can't see myself hunched over a keyboard no, playing a game is sitting back on a couch with a controller in my hand, this is the real deal". Plus with emulators you're always half tempted to cheat the game with save states and changing the speed, or whatever the kids are into these days, which is also pointless. I want to just play it the way it was made, preferably.

Maybe if I thought there was no chance to ever get a copy, and I absolutely had to play it. But being honest, that's not gonna happen. Have too many actual games I need to play to worry about those I can't afford.  :D

I don't think I've ever played an emulated game in a way that it wasn't originally intended, except for using a save state because life is so hectic these days. 

My personal situation, there is no way I can have my old systems out for daily use.  A wife, two growing teen & pre-teen girls and a couple of doggies pretty much takes up a lot of room and a lot of time. 

davifus

I don't think I have reach the point in my collection where I would have go into a excavation expedition to find my games and give up and go to emulators.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

gf78

I don't think I have reach the point in my collection where I would have go into a excavation expedition to find my games and give up and go to emulators.

Limited space my friend.  When I married my wife, I took on two little girls, 1 and 4.  They shared a bedroom and I had a bedroom all for my gaming collection.  Well....some years go by, 1 and 4 become 10 and 13 and they needed their own rooms.  Hence, no more gaming room.  So all my old stuff gets packed away and only my newest systems (PS4, PS3, Wii and Wii U as well as handhelds) are out for regular use. 

turf

PRO Supporter

Limited space my friend.  When I married my wife, I took on two little girls, 1 and 4.  They shared a bedroom and I had a bedroom all for my gaming collection.  Well....some years go by, 1 and 4 become 10 and 13 and they needed their own rooms.  Hence, no more gaming room.  So all my old stuff gets packed away and only my newest systems (PS4, PS3, Wii and Wii U as well as handhelds) are out for regular use.

It'll happen, brother.  Life gets in the way.

davifus

Yeah, that sucks but Family > Games

Warmsignal

I kind of like the digging out part. Reminds me of being a kid, hooking a console up. I don't and wouldn't pack them away, like in a closet or an attic, but I have one dresser drawer that pretty much holds all of my excess consoles. So it's just pull it out, plug it up and go. Of course, all the games are easily accessible from various shelves, so it's no big deal to me.

gf78

It'll happen, brother.  Life gets in the way.

Yep, wouldn't trade them for the world either.  Maybe mint copies of both Lunar games on PS1...Lol...just kiddin.

foxhack

Every time people bring up nostalgia as a reason for not playing on emulators, I counter with this:

This is the single worst controller I have ever used and if you want to use this willingly, well...

davifus

Every time people bring up nostalgia as a reason for not playing on emulators, I counter with this:

This is the single worst controller I have ever used and if you want to use this willingly, well...

I like the n64 controller...

kashell

I like the n64 controller...

I mean, it's an oddly shaped controller to be sure. It looks like the end of a trident or a pitchfork. But, I never had any issues with it.

gf78

10000000% agreed.  That was the most uncomfortable controller I have ever used.  I think it single-handedly ensured my N64 was barely every used.  The left "handle" pressed into the back of my hand, right behind my index finger knuckle.  It also caused me to have to hold the controller at a right angle which completely threw off my coordination with the analog stick.  The N64 didn't have too many "critical darlings" for me gamewise as-is.  I probably would have enjoyed Banjo-Kazooie a thousand times more with a decent controller.