Author Topic: Changing usernames  (Read 4535 times)

Changing usernames
« on: June 11, 2015, 02:46:37 am »
Is there a way to change usernames? If not, can we add this feature? I want to obviously change my name, but I don't want to put in over 1k in games again :(

Re: Changing usernames
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:31:42 am »
Yeah, my wife picked my username, would love to use my usual tag.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 09:57:40 am »
I am sure an admin can do it on request, but he is a busy man, so might be a while.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 12:19:06 pm »
I am sure that any admin can do it on request, but (unless their name's soera :o) they're all very busy, so it might be a while.

fix'd ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

tpugmire

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 12:21:36 pm »
What do you want to change it to?  I'll pass it along to Matt.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 12:59:50 pm »
I am sure that any admin can do it on request, but (unless their name's soera :o) they're all very busy, so it might be a while.

fix'd ;)
Haha.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 01:17:15 pm »
Oh, I would love to change my username too :-\ But I'd hate to bog down the admins with username change requests if there are other things that need to be taken care of on the site. Might be a difficult can of worms if lots of people want to change their name haha.

If I could, I would change my name to "telly" to match my PSN, Xbox live gamertag, etc. Plus it's a lot shorter than my current name. :P

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 01:57:56 am »
What do you want to change it to?  I'll pass it along to Matt.

"CAVGIadminX" is what I would like to change it to.  The current name was made for me a long time ago :/

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 08:18:44 am »
Maybe if the admins set up one day where people could change their usernames if they want, and then leave it at that, so they don't get username change requests all the time? Just a thought.  :)

tpugmire

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 04:58:39 pm »
Matt has been notified. Hopefully you'll see something soon.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

foxhack

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 05:52:38 pm »
Maybe if the admins set up one day where people could change their usernames if they want, and then leave it at that, so they don't get username change requests all the time? Just a thought.  :)

That could be abused easily.

If this is ever implemented it'd still need to be approved by someone higher up.

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 09:34:19 am »

If this is ever implemented it'd still need to be approved by someone higher up.

I suppose you're right haha. Makes sense that it would need to be approved and it may be tricky to implement.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 12:53:10 am »

Sorry for reviving this post but it is something I came to think about again.

How would this privilege be abused? I've been part of a great number of forum based websites that allow for a change in usernames. Seems like implementing such a tool would be great for those of us that have a great deal of games associated with our current login.

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 08:53:44 am »
IIRC, SMF has a built in feature that allows users to change their displayed name, database records will still use the "account name", but visually users will only see the "displayed name"

nsshadowserpent

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 12:57:36 pm »
I submitted a request for a user name change sometime ago, since I had set this one in a hurry quite sometime back. I figured I could simply change it later, until I found to my horror that this was not possible. By that time, I had nearly added my entire database into the profile.

I would have liked to change it, and sent a few PMs to Jason, but it seems he is a rather busy man. Is any other admin able to do this, or is my punishment to create a new account and suffer the horrors of re-adding 600+ entries?