Author Topic: Sacred Cow: A game/series/Dev that is held in the highest regard that you hate  (Read 7365 times)

gf78

I have to agree that I never quite got the hype for the Grand Theft Auto games.  I always found myself just wandering around and beating up hookers.  The worlds were big and full of people, but carjacking and stuff just got old.  I honestly can't remember the last GTA I completed let alone one I even put more than a couple of hours into.  I have several different GTA games, but all were picked up on the cheap, using store credit at the local mom & pop shop or given to me.

Zelda is another series that while I have enjoyed several of the games, I don't get the zealot-level devotion of it's fans.  I shook my head in disbelief when grown men in the audience at E3 a few years ago were openly crying watching a Zelda trailer.  Ocarina of Time which is widely considered the best of the series absolutely drove me insane.  Navi kept buzzing around saying "Hey, Listen!" over and over and over again.  I hated that stupid Deku tree and that lame ass music while you were riding around on your pony. 

I loved the first Zelda, Link to the Past and Wind Waker.  I hated Adventure of Link, Ocarina and Majora's Mask.  I was pretty indifferent to all the various handheld titles I played.  Some were good, some I didn't care for.  I never got the love affair for Twilight Princess and thought Midna was quite annoying.  It also consistently irked me that instead of making actual sequels, Nintendo just kept "reimagining" the Zelda world with a different Link, Gannondorf, etc. every entry. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

Nope, I meant shooter of the FP type. 

gf78

Nope, I meant shooter of the FP type.

It all depends on the story for me.  Your average Call of Duty or Battlefield or similar style game where you just run around shooting each other in multiplayer maps gets old pretty quick to me.  I call them "Military Shooter X" because they are all basically the same.  Some terrorists have bombed America and....guns. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

This thread is just a flame war waiting to happen.

FPS was a respectable genre until cod and battlefield turned it in a big game of whack-a-mole. a shame.

gf78

FPS was a respectable genre until cod and battlefield turned it in a big game of whack-a-mole. a shame.

Yeah.  And Xbox helped it right along.  THANKS A FREAKIN' LOT MICRO$$$OFT!  j/k   :P

foxhack

This thread is just a flame war waiting to happen.

Why do you think I'm keeping my eyes on it?

Things seem cool so far, though.

turf

PRO Supporter

Where do I start?  I'm sure there's a hell of a list.  I don't really hate any of these.  I just don't get the hype.

Halo:  Sure it got it right first.  It's ok, but I don't get the camping out for the newest one.

Madden:  Why do we need a copy every year? 

Call of Duty: I really liked it at first, but it wore out it's welcome.  It was fun to play online before 12 year olds started having sex with my mom.

Shenmue:  With #3 coming there has been a shit-ton of hype.  I always hear "Shenmue 3" on folks dream games to play.  I tried the first and second one.  It's just not for me.

That's a good start to the list.  I can't think of much else right now.

Super Mario (insert number here). No this is not to start anything but honestly I've never seen the appeal of all these games or this series. Of course, a huge part is that I'm not, nor have I ever been, a fan of platformers, unless you count the early arcade single screen games like the original arcade mario bros or donkey kong. The only platformer that I even kinda liked was JJ and Jeff on the TG-16. It was a much easier game and I liked the humor of it. Bonk was ok too but I quickly got bored of that too.

I think I've mentioned before that when I first got an NES I played Duck Hunt a heck of a lot more than SMB.

indenton

Super Mario (insert number here). No this is not to start anything but honestly I've never seen the appeal of all these games or this series. Of course, a huge part is that I'm not, nor have I ever been, a fan of platformers, unless you count the early arcade single screen games like the original arcade mario bros or donkey kong. The only platformer that I even kinda liked was JJ and Jeff on the TG-16. It was a much easier game and I liked the humor of it. Bonk was ok too but I quickly got bored of that too.

I think I've mentioned before that when I first got an NES I played Duck Hunt a heck of a lot more than SMB.

I see Super Mario Bros. as a damn important game for the industry, along with R.O.B.  But I wouldn't say any of the Super Mario Platformers are a favourite of mine though.  Granted I haven't many of them at all.  Don't feel like I'm missing much with New Super Mario Bros. games as of recently. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:19:28 pm by indenton »

maximo310

The Last of Us- I didn't like the third person mechanics put in there. I think I would have enjoyed it better just as a movie.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn- I really didn't like the different characters in some of the scenarios and they really messed up the difficulty curve where it feels like many maps are just very unfair( compared to Thracia 776, and some of Awakening's maps on lunatic), and how it reuses a ton of assets from Path of Radiance and doesn't look that much better.

Forza series- I really don't care for the series, it doesn't feel very fun to play as a racing sim, and I'd prefer playing arcade racers from other devs like Sega.

Street Fighter IV- I felt like the series took a step back with this game. Along with SSFIV and SSFIVAE it feels clunky compared to some of the other fighting games I'm used to, and I don't feel like that the character roster is very interesting.
Smash 4- It looks and plays smoothly, but there are a lot of  technical things that have been removed from Brawl and Melee. As a result, the new system doesn't allow for people to compete in high-level play because of mostly rolls that are too powerful, and that the shields aren't effective enough. I'm sticking with Project M unless they fix some of these issues in  future updates.

I see Super Mario Bros. as a damn important game for the industry, along with R.O.B.

Absolutely true. It brought with it a whole new generation of fans. I was already 19 when I got my NES and grew up in the pong/pre-crash era and the arcade style of game. SMB was such a departure from that style. I got easily frustrated from constantly dying and restarting that it became a chore, not a game. I think now if it had had some kind of battery save so you didn't have to start from the beginning every time you played I'd have given it more of a chance. Even today when I've tried to play it I die quick, turn it off and play Galaga 90 instead :D

indenton

Smash 4- It looks and plays smoothly, but there are a lot of  technical things that have been removed from Brawl and Melee. As a result, the new system doesn't allow for people to compete in high-level play because of mostly rolls that are too powerful, and that the shields aren't effective enough. I'm sticking with Project M unless they fix some of these issues in  future updates.

I disagree, I think the changes they've made are for the best, especially the new ledge mechanics which are significantly better than that of Melee, Brawl & Project M.  The character patches here and there will be just fine, no melee mode, just play melee.  You're entitled to your opinion and preference but that don't mean Smash 4 is bad at all. 

Sorry about that, I just don't like seeing a game that I'm quite passionate about in a thread like this
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:05:56 am by indenton »

Veilor

Survival Games...I don't get the fun in them. The recent years have been flooded with games like Rust, ARK, Day Z and whatnot. I just don't see the fun in something like that. Yet they become popular instantly because it is a survival game.

gf78

MMO's.  I don't get it.  What is fun about "living" in a virtual world, selling crap out of a tent or hanging out with people?  Games like Everquest and World of Warcraft have ruined lives, families, careers, etc.  All so you can hang out with random people who you really know absolutely nothing about and looking for the rainbow fairy mount that only spawns once ever 157 days or some such nonsense. 

Another "genre" I don't get is Free-to-play crap like Clash of Clans.  You either have to wait an ungodly amount of time for your crap to be completed or you have to pay large sums of real-world money for chests of gold/jewels/whatever.  And even if you have the patience of a saint, you come back to your game the next day and some jerk who spent large wads of real cash has came along overnight and obliterated your $hit.  You basically lost almost everything your little people were mining/fetching.   >:( >:( >:(