Author Topic: Sacred Cow: A game/series/Dev that is held in the highest regard that you hate  (Read 6909 times)

maximo310

I don't really agree with that;  ledge hogging in competitive play takes advantage of the game's mechanics to punish the other player since you gotta take any advantage you can get in competitive play. Ledge trumping has far less use since most people see that it is too risky of an option to use in a match and there are better ways to punish people. As for new mechanics, I think this match ( my bro vs a friend) clearly shows some of the flaws of the game in competitive matches. Keep in mind that both players have been playing the game since it came out so they are pretty experienced in the game, and it shows how Robin ( a normally slow character) can't seem to connect with Pac-Man at all during the fight because of too much frame data in the roll and that the shield refreshes too quickly. So far, this game doesn't seem more competitive than Melee and Project M; most of the fanbase for Smash comes from the hard won efforts of the competitive community. I think most people want a smash game like Project M.

Yes, of course it isn't as competitive as a hack specifically designed to the full-fledged fighting game that you know and love.  If you knew anything about Sakurai's design philosophy, then I don't know why you would of expected anything of that calibur from Smash 4 to begin with.  I still stand firm that Smash 4 is the definitive experience, an amazing cast of crazy characters (the Duck Hunt Duo being a personal favourite inclusion for me)with the competitive 'potential' for the scene which Nintendo is finally acknowledging. 

Note I said potential, it might not be as competitive but it has the tools to reach out and satisfy as broad an audience as possible. 

btw, who do you main?  I play R.O.B, Mr Game & Watch and Marth
That's the problem though; because Sakurai is so worried about making the game "perfect" for as big of an audience of the game; such a design philosophy actually hurts the game in the long run. Here's what my bro has to say, and I think he sums up the argument against Smash 4 pretty well with some of my ideas:

I can see that you're not really sure about the validity of your statement if you feel the need to put potential in quotations. Yeah, at the time Brawl had a lot of potential too, but it really dropped off because it isn't as engaging as the other entries in the series. Every time you make a sequel you compete against yourself to create the best product as possible, since people will naturally have their own expectations beforehand. I understand that Sakurai has his own notions about how Smash should be and how it ought to be played, but not everyone feels the same. If I were to compare competitive games to pools, then games should ideally slope from a shallow end to a deep end (shallow end just for splashing around and having fun and the deep end for more advanced things like diving). Sm4sh has the unfortunate predicament of  being  shallow at one end without much of a curve toward a deep end. Sure, it's still possible to dive but it's much more limited in what you can do. After playing the game extensively and attending a few tournaments, the game overall feels sluggish. My character doesn't always control the way I want them too and there aren't many ways to speed this up, like l-canceling in past titles. I can still have fun with the game, but I certainly don't play to show my prowess at Smash.

You know I tried to steer this in the direction that I'm agreeing that the game has its impasses, but now you're taking stabs at my vocabulary, well done.  Just tell all that to the existing competitive scene of Smash 4, I play the game competitively 'For Glory' and whatnot (if that even counts) but nothing tournament worthy.  What I mean is that because I'm not quite as involved in the competitive tech behind the game, I just don't notice any of this, it doesn't affect me, I'm too busy enjoying the game.  Roll-spamming in for glory is pretty cheap, I haven't noticed anything with the shields yet though.
Ok, to set things straight he's not insulting your vocabulary or anything; it's just that saying that Smash 4 has competitive "potential" just doesn't sound true of the game at its current state. All I'm trying to say is that as you get better at the game and explore the different options available, you'll start to notice limits on combos, maneuvers, etc. Once you get to that point and compare it to Brawl/Project M or Melee you'll see how the older games offer more room for growth and to hone advanced skills compared to Smash 4. I hoping that the Smash 4 EVO tournament can prove me wrong, since I think that tournament will really see if the game can/can't thrive as a competitive game.
Keep playing For Glory; that's probably the best way to find some good opponents and hone your skills. If you keep improving your skills, I'll think you'll come to understand what me and my brother have been saying about Smash 4 all along.

I dislike Treasure's more gimmicky games like Mischief Makers, Stretch Panic, Silhouette Mirage & Ikaruga.  I think Ikaruga is the only one of those that's highly regarded, but the whole black & white thing just made the game look so bland & the color switching mechanic just got in the way of the shooting.  I want to destroy things in a shooter without one arm tied behind my back.  Silhouette Mirage took that even further, you could only shoot red guys while facing left?  Fun! 

foxhack

Rayman is also stupid, and probably one of the most ridiculous and dumb platformer mascots I've ever seen. Bubsy is a better character.

(I jest, of course. I also couldn't find a better gif.)

Rayman is also stupid, and probably one of the most ridiculous and dumb platformer mascots I've ever seen. Bubsy is a better character.

(I jest, of course. I also couldn't find a better gif.)

One last message before I'm banned!! HA!