Author Topic: Things you loved as a kid... but now realise are terrible.  (Read 4127 times)

pizzasafari

Things you loved as a kid... but now realise are terrible.
« on: July 15, 2015, 10:24:58 am »
I know you guys have it too. Something that, as a naive, innocent kid, you thought was amazing. You grew up remembering it fondly, then one day you decide to revisit your childhood - Barely able to contain the nostalgia, you finally decide experience that thing you once loved again, and then realise what a mistake you have made in doing so. That thing you loved is bad. It is very bad.

I don't just mean things that are cringey to you now because they're aimed at kids and you're not a kid anymore, I mean things that are bad.
It could be a TV show, a game, a film, a book, music, anything.

I decided to make this topic because of a TV series I loved as a kid called Cardcaptors. Cardcaptor Sakura. Whatever you want to call it. It's an old anime dubbed as a kids' series that ran from the very late 90's to early 2000s if I remember right. I would've been about four years old when I first watched it.
Back in the day we didn't have any of the big TV networks in our house, we only had the default UK channels 1 - 5. I didn't get to watch TV all that often because either my mum or my brother would be watching it, and even when I did get to watch TV none of my favourite programs ever seemed to be on. Finally catching one of my favourites on TV was like this huge monumental occasion for me, and because of how little I got to watch them I held them in this ridiculously high esteem, and even after growing up I still got this overwhelming feeling of awesome when I thought about them.

So my favourites were Digimon, Pokemon and Cardcaptors. Cardcaptors seemed to be on less often than anything else I liked to watch, so this made it even more amazing when I finally caught it. I remember loving so much about it. It's basically about a girl who finds this book, I don't remember many of the details but by opening the book she looses all these monsters on the world that were sealed in these 'Clow Cards'. By beating one of the monsters it gets sealed back inside its card, and she can summon it from that card to fight the other monsters. So you can kind of think of it as Pokemon meets Yu-Gi-Oh. It's episodic from there, each episode is about all these different monsters and spirits and stuff wreaking havoc in places, the main character fights them using cards she's captured over the course of the series and then gets a new card out of it when she beats it. It was great to watch it to find out what card she was going to be against this time, what it would look like, what cool powers it would have, and watching her get all these new cards as the series progressed.

So it sounds pretty interesting. As a kid it was epic to me. Eventually I sort of forgot about it, then one day adult me was watching a YouTube video about nostalgic animated shows, there was like a 3-second clip from Cardcaptors in it, and my brain just exploded. I remembered everything, and it was great. Eventually I finally decided to revisit it once and for all.

And... well... just look at it.

Now I wouldn't quite call the experience childhood-shattering, because I can see why I wouldn't have noticed or cared about the bad things about it when I was as young as I was, but my god. It is bad. It is so bad it hurts. Did they hire a fucking police siren to voice Sakura?

Still glad I watched it back then, Cardcaptors is probably the reason I ended up liking anime-style things, it's just a shame my childhood was built on a foundation of wrong.

Anyway, have you guys had any similar experiences? Anything you held in really high esteem as a kid, then as an adult learned to hate it with all your heart?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:23:55 am by LeJason »

gf78

Re: Things you loved as a kid... but now realise are terrible.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:48:38 am »
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.  As a kid, I thought that show was epic.  Watching it now is almost painful.  Even worse is trying to watch the spin-off She-Ra.  The music itself as soon as it starts brings me great shame regardless of which show it is. 

Its quite funny to watch the old toy commercials, though nearly as painful.  The commercial for one of the new characters Man-E Faces (lame, right?) has this guy singing in a deep voice "Man-E Faces!  Man-E Faces!"  Ugh....... ::)   ???
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

telly

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:11:18 am »
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and Oliver and Company are two movies that I thought were awesome as a kid but now realize they aren't that great :(
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:29:21 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

aliensstudios

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 12:31:59 pm »
Yeah, I remember absolutely loving Thomas the Tank Engine up until I was probably five or six. I actually still like the classic wooden toys with the clickety-clack track and the old videos with narration by Ringo Starr and George Carlin but i think after I saw Thomas and the Magic Railroad I really fell out of love with the series. Brit Alcroft ruined the series in the mid 2000s. Now they are so cheap they just make cgi for the episodes instead of using the actual model engines which had quite a bit of charm to them. Last time I was at Caboose Hobbies, I noticed how much the quality of the wooden trains had diminished too since I was a little one. I still have the stories by the Reverend Wilbert Awdry and those were probably the best ones. Once they ran out of those ideas on the show, he fun was all gone.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 04:55:55 pm »
Shows dubbed by 4Kids; I thought that some of their shows were good when I was a kid. Now that I have seen better dubs or watched the original Japanese version, I finally realized how bad 4Kids butchered these shows with their dubs. I think Yu-Gi-Oh is the only decent English dub that they did, but even that one has quite a few problems. Most of the other shows like One Piece just completely destroyed the source material, because of how much stuff was changed to make a show for teenagers appeal to a 6-10 age group.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 05:53:27 pm »
Our version of pocket monsters. yuck. was not dubbed right.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 06:58:50 pm »
n64

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 07:25:34 pm »
I found that with going back to the TMNT movies, that I think the first movie is still great, but the 2nd one is not that good, and the 3rd is even worse than I remember lol

Ikari Warriors on NES was weirdly something I remembered liking, but man that is not a good game lol

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 07:34:06 pm »
Sadly, many of the cartoons I loved as a kid I can no longer enjoy. This is mostly various Nicktoon and shows on Cartoon Network that were on during the 90s. Funny enough, 90% of the ones I still like are anime, but stuff like Doug, Rocko's Modern Life, Dexters Lab, and Swat Kats are unwatchable for me now.

abe

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 09:35:22 pm »
Not too long ago I rewatched a bit of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! anime. Let's say it wasn't quite as good as I remembered. :P
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 09:47:09 pm »
Shows dubbed by 4Kids; I thought that some of their shows were good when I was a kid. Now that I have seen better dubs or watched the original Japanese version, I finally realized how bad 4Kids butchered these shows with their dubs. I think Yu-Gi-Oh is the only decent English dub that they did, but even that one has quite a few problems. Most of the other shows like One Piece just completely destroyed the source material, because of how much stuff was changed to make a show for teenagers appeal to a 6-10 age group.

This big time. 4kids is terrible.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

pizzasafari

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 10:52:08 pm »
Not too long ago I rewatched a bit of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! anime. Let's say it wasn't quite as good as I remembered. :P

Oh yeah, that is definitely another one.

FRIENDSHIP!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:54:21 pm by LeJason »

Warmsignal

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 01:06:07 am »
Slipknot and company, skateboarding, Pokemon, South Park, hideously oversized cargo pants, pogs, WCW/NWO... Just a bunch of crap that I hopped on the bandwagon of.

gf78

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 10:46:53 am »
Battle of the Planets.  Until I saw the original version Gatchaman, I didn't even realize how terrible it was.  For the US release, they cut out all the violent parts and added the goofy R2-D2 looking robot 7-Zark-7 to fill in the gaps.  The little guy didn't even speak in the US version and instead made goofy sounds like he was mental. 

Speed Racer.  I thought that show was awesome until I tried watching it again a few years ago.  The Mach-5 is still awesome, but everything else is pure dumb. 

I would add the N64 like a couple others have, but I wasn't a kid when it came out and I pretty much knew that it, Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time sucked from the get-go. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us