Author Topic: I've done a disc scan, how should I upload it?  (Read 1007 times)

I've done a disc scan, how should I upload it?
« on: July 16, 2015, 05:47:40 am »
I mean, what size. Is there a preferred DPI? I've noticed that when on a game page, only small thumbnails of an image are viewable. Should I just upload at that size? Also, JPG or PNG?

foxhack

Re: I've done a disc scan, how should I upload it?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 11:35:34 am »
I try to keep stuff to 500-750 pixels wide, and upload at 85% quality JPG. PNG isn't really a good choice for scans, since it just bloats up the image file size and the server tends to choke on really huge file sizes.

The images get recompressed to JPG, so as long as the source image has a decent quality, it'll look okay when it's processed.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 08:22:42 pm »
All right, thanks!

One more question: is there a place for uploading scan of the "other inserts" included with games? Japanese games have quite a few of them, stuff like this for example. Not sure if there's much of a want for that, but it could be interesting to include that stuff for collectors looking a complete copy. I know I would really like for a website to show pictures of stuff the game comes with, so I know whether or not a game is possibly complete when I'm looking at it on eBay or something.

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 11:44:27 pm »
Ah, no, sorry, we don't have a spot for that stuff. But you can add info about included items to the listing's item details (not the box text, the other one) if you want. Some of us mention any bonuses included in there, stuff like limited edition goodies, first print bonuses, etc.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 03:01:52 am »
So maybe add an imgur link showing cards and extras if we don't want all that uploaded to the site? From what I understand, imgur links don't expire unless a delete is requested, but it would suck if imgur went down or something.

Some of the NTSC-J games I've collected over the years have come with 4 or 5 cards, and each one typically has the PS2 catalog number written on it somewhere (SLPS, SLPM, etc). It could be interesting to see them, so you know what to look for in auctions and stuff, but otherwise I guess I could just say "comes with _ extra cards" or something.