Author Topic: August 2015 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 43939 times)

foxhack

Re: August 2015 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2015, 05:21:29 pm »
And in today's episode of "How'd this stuff find its way into Southern California...?"

Toy Story 2 Action Game (PC, sealed) - $2, just gotta clean up the plastic since it's got some stains. (And yes, this is the same game as Buzz Lightyear To The Rescue on consoles.)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine Uncaged Edition (PC, sealed) - $7.50 total from Amazon. I'd never found the game so cheap and I figured I'd spend a bit getting this since it's a GFWL game and their keys can rarely be re-used.
Xena: Warrior Princess (PS1, PAL) & Warpath: Jurassic Park (PS1, PAL) - $6 total. I wasn't going to pick these up... Xena's jewel case is glued or something, I couldn't open it but I did see the disc in there. I mean, why would I even pick up PAL games?

The answer? Both are SPAIN / PORTUGAL releases. o_O

So yeah. Holy cow. How'd this end up here? And I need to get some case replacements...

« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2015, 05:42:51 pm »
And in today's episode of "How'd this stuff find its way into Southern California...?"

Toy Story 2 Action Game (PC, sealed) - $2, just gotta clean up the plastic since it's got some stains. (And yes, this is the same game as Buzz Lightyear To The Rescue on consoles.)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine Uncaged Edition (PC, sealed) - $7.50 total from Amazon. I'd never found the game so cheap and I figured I'd spend a bit getting this since it's a GFWL game and their keys can rarely be re-used.
Xena: Warrior Princess (PS1, PAL) & Warpath: Jurassic Park (PS1, PAL) - $6 total. I wasn't going to pick these up... Xena's jewel case is glued or something, I couldn't open it but I did see the disc in there. I mean, why would I even pick up PAL games?

The answer? Both are SPAIN / PORTUGAL releases. o_O

So yeah. Holy cow. How'd this end up here? And I need to get some case replacements...

I've asked myself that several times for things I've found and what others in the area have found. Just spoke with a reseller I know who found a bunch of Japanese import Dreamcast games at an ARC thrift store of all places. I was like who the hell donated these?!

« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2015, 06:25:44 pm »
Bought a few games today:
Super Mario Bros. with box, Rampart, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers.

« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2015, 07:55:35 pm »
Just managed to find Destroy All Humans 2 at my local Salvation Army store... No manual though.

« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2015, 08:09:26 pm »
I love finding stuff like this. $12 at a local pawn shop, talked them down from $19 since it was untested but it does work great. A few scratches on the screen but some are just marks that look like they'll come off. This is the Radio Shack version of Epoch's Astro Command. It's the same game. Plays like Scramble

karyann

« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2015, 08:28:08 pm »
It's such a shame Heroes of Mana and Dawn of Mana happened. ~_~() *sigh*

Duly noted. Considering your fine tastes in RPGs, I'll try and avoid those if I want to use my time on things I'll enjoy :P Thanks!

desocietas

« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2015, 08:38:35 pm »

Duly noted. Considering your fine tastes in RPGs, I'll try and avoid those if I want to use my time on things I'll enjoy :P Thanks!

I still want to pick those up for collection purposes, but I'm purposefully not getting them unless they're free or ridiculously cheap.

Just managed to find Destroy All Humans 2 at my local Salvation Army store... No manual though.

I actually have the manual (in good condition) for this game just lying around in case I found the game without the manual or someone else I know did.  If you want to pay for postage, I can send it to you.  Just PM if you're interested :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2015, 10:37:45 pm »
So this is a very, VERY important pickup for me.

A long time ago, probably 2011, I created a very large "Want List" of every game I ever wanted for every console I ever wanted to collect for. The longest of those lists was my PS2 want list which at the time was over 200 games long. Over the years of hunting, presents, ebay purchases, and trades, I had acquired all of these and then some, except one: Wild Arms 5.

Last week, after seeing the price on this game go up quite a bit in recent months, I decided to pull the trigger and buy it. And here it is, the last PS2 game on my original want list of PS2 games! It has been an awesome journey and I cannot believe I finally completed this want list.

This does not mean, however, I will not be buying anymore PS2 games ever again. All it means is that I am officially finished with actively collecting for the PS2. Anything I pick up from here on out for the PS2 will be games that look interesting and are priced cheap. There are a few games like Rule of Rose and Metal Gear Solid 3: Substanance Limited Edition that I'd love to own, however unless I get really lucky and find them at a relative bargain, I am content with not having them as part of my PS2 collection. What an awesome feeling :D

abe

« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2015, 11:58:58 pm »
Congratulations. :) It must be really satisfying.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

desocietas

« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2015, 02:11:48 am »
Congrats! I've been eying that one myself and may have been watching that auction... It used to be cheaper... Not sure why the prices have gone up so much lately...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #190 on: August 20, 2015, 08:31:33 am »

No problem. In fact (shameless plug in 3...2...1...) I wrote reviews on both of those in the event you want some more information on them. There's always a chance that you might enjoy them. ^^

I still want to pick those up for collection purposes, but I'm purposefully not getting them unless they're free or ridiculously cheap.

That's funny you mention that. Heroes of Mana was actually a birthday gift. Luckily, Children of Mana was included in that birthday gift so it wasn't a total bust. I found Dawn of Mana at a Game Stop a couple of years ago for dirt cheap; I think the sales clerk was thankful I was taking it off of his hands. XD

Wild ARMs 5

Congratulations on that find. I really enjoyed that game. Remember, it's ok to spend hours and hours on the Monowheel. XD

« Reply #191 on: August 20, 2015, 10:40:18 am »
Congrats! I've been eying that one myself and may have been watching that auction... It used to be cheaper... Not sure why the prices have gone up so much lately...

Collectors are moving on past the ridiculously expensive NES/SNES library and looking for other stuff to collect. PS1 prices have skyrocketed recently as well for the sea reason, and the PS2 has definitely been on the rise as well. Especially RPG and Survival Horror titles.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #192 on: August 20, 2015, 12:19:35 pm »
Man, this month has been really good to some of you VGCollecters. Love the table-top arcade Atarileaf, had my eye out for one of those for a long time.

Xena for PS1 is a game I remember renting from my childhood, and enjoying, but I haven't come across it since.

I'll have a pic of my pick-ups this month, soon enough. Just waiting on one my item to arrive from 99Gamers.com.

karyann

« Reply #193 on: August 20, 2015, 08:40:05 pm »
Collectors are moving on past the ridiculously expensive NES/SNES library and looking for other stuff to collect. PS1 prices have skyrocketed recently as well for the sea reason, and the PS2 has definitely been on the rise as well. Especially RPG and Survival Horror titles.

That's amazing, congrats!  ;D

But yeah, prices really suck... Here I was hoping last year that the bubble would burst soon, haha... seems like it won't for quite some time still.

desocietas

« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2015, 02:04:38 pm »
Got a few things this week, much of it unexpected.

First up, I won a few items in a trivia contest NISA was holding on their Twitch stream:

This will perhaps make my D-brotha, Disgaeaniac, a little jelly:

Lanyard, keychain/charm thing, and a Prinny hoodie, all imported from Japan by NISA to giveaway :)

As far as game pickups, I took a little sick day/personal day to spend some time with the bf, and we decided to drop by our local weird reuse depot store and found these goodies for just under $25:

Need for Speed and Golden Compass are missing the disks, but I figured they'd be nice to have in case we ever found the game discs on their own.  Everything else was CIB, and NBA2K8 was still sealed.

The bf picked up Chrono Cross at the depot and lamented that we already owned at least one complete copy. I suggested that we take it anyway, and he opened it up to find just 1 of the 2 Chrono Cross discs *BUT* in the rest of the case were the 3-disc FFVII discs and FFVII instruction manual.  This was pretty fortuitous because he had just gotten a free copy of FFVII the other day from work but it was missing one of the discs and the manual.  If anything, the discs were silver tops while the incomplete copy has white tops.  Am I right in thinking that the silver tops are probably from the Greatest Hits version?

I'd never seen anything like the Memory Card case but decided to take it when we found 2 Sony-branded PS2 and 1 Sony-branded PS1 memory cards inside.  There were a few third party ones, too, but I figured it was worth a shot to see if the older memory cards were still functioning.

We dropped everything off at home and went back out again because the bf wanted to get accessories for his newly rejuvenated MTG addiction. On the way back from him dropping $100 on that stuff  :-X , I suggested that we check out one of the used bookstores nearby that has a small video game section...

I was ecstatic to find Mad Maestro (sealed) and Mister Mosquito (CIB) in the wild, so I snatched those up. Both in great condition.

A pretty good haul for what's usually a barren used-game landscape in this area  ;D
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas