Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 remake  (Read 5093 times)

haloofthesun

Re: Final Fantasy 7 remake
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 11:14:32 pm »
If they break it up where the original disc swap points were, or similar, then yeah it might be okay. Except that this would likely mean any backtracking and world exploration is gone. "You can't go to Junon, you're in part 3 now!" Of course nothing is definite yet, we barely know anything. Being as vague as possible doesn't really instill a lot of faith though. It's as if they know it's bad news and are trying to beat around the bush. People want to know, is this going to be Final Hallway VII: Remake, or will we actually be able explore and travel a world? Do we have any freedom at all like the original, or is there no gettin' off'a this train we're on? For me, dividing it up like The Walking Dead is a dealbreaker, and I know for many others that's true, too. It could be like that, it could be just like disc swaps from the original, it could be anything. We don't know yet. Not jumping ship at this point, but I am nervous.

Releasing it quicker doesn't matter if you still have to wait exactly as long to get the end of the game. I and many other will not buy each part digitally and then buy the full game physically. This is not a problem for everyone, but for me personally it is. Not that that should matter to anyone not in the same position, of course.

For combat, I'm still not sure there are turns. People keep pointing out what they're calling an ATB bar, but you can see Cloud and Barrett attacking before the bar even fills up, which seems more actiony. Which I didn't think I'd be okay with, but from what we've seen briefly I do like. It seems we can possibly switch between characters, too, instead of just controlling one like in 13, which is a huge relief if that's true.

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 12:00:51 am »
We mostly just need to wait for the full information as I read that someone was talking about Avalanche, the creators of the Just Cause series, and having the most perfect name for this, might be helping out with the world aspect of it.  With how big their games are, this is a good sign if they are going utilizing that world tech.

kashell

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 10:15:35 am »
I'm trying to hold back my apprehension. I don't like the idea of such a treasured game getting released in episodes, nor do I like the idea of its battle system getting turned into something similar to Crisis Core. It just wouldn't feel right that way.

But, like I said, I'm going to wait until I see the full scoop before I decide whether or not to get this.

gf78

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 10:24:17 am »
As I said before, there is no way that Squeenix could please everyone.  There will be people pissing & moaning if they simply did an HD game with new assets that followed all of the original releases menus, combat, etc.  There will be people pissing & moaning if they make an entirely new game with a new active combat method.  People just like to piss & moan I suspect. 

I don't know enough about the "episodic" release thing.  If it's a download only game, they can piss off.  If the plan is to really expand the story where it's so freakin' huge it takes up multiple games released at retail, I would be just fine with that.  I'm not gonna start pissing & moaning, I'm gonna wait and see what happens.   ;D
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 10:52:52 am »
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. P&M-ing at this point isn't going to change Square's minds from creating their product.

And if worse comes to worse, I have no problems replaying the original FFVII.

argyle

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 12:16:17 pm »
Two snippets from the interview posted on Gematsu have me very optimistic:

You’ll be able to explore various locations in Midgar that you couldn’t explore in the original game.

and

Kitase: “The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning. We still can’t share more information about its multiple parts, but please look forward to future announcements.”

Nomura: “If we dedicated our time to a single release, parts of it would become summarized. We’d have to cut some parts, and additional parts would come in few, so rather than remake the game as a full volume, we decided to do multiple parts.”

Kitase: “As you can see in the trailer, we showed Sector 1 and Sector 8, but in those areas alone, I think you can see a lot of density. When you’re remaking the entirety of the original version in that quality, it’s not possible to fit it all in one release.”

This doesn't sound to me like they're shrinking the game down into episodic chapters like a TellTale game - this sounds like they're expanding it to cover 2 or 3 full-length games. And I'm all for that. Heck, they could easily make a first game solely set in Midgar that would be amazing.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:48:00 pm by argyle »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

gf78

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 12:44:49 pm »
This doesn't sound to me like their shrinking the game down into episodic chapters like a TellTale game - this sounds like they're expanding it to cover 2 or 3 full-length games. And I'm all for that. Heck, they could easily make a first game solely set in Midgar that would be amazing.

That's what I'm hoping for.  Three full length games...take my money.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

soera

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 12:56:39 pm »
Man, that actually sounds impressive. I hope I can drop as much time into this one as the first run and maybe even more.

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 02:23:07 pm »
I don't mind the multi-game thing since they want to not only include all the original content beefed up with high end graphics and full exploration, but add even more to the game.  We'll see, it really depends on how they handle everything price wise and as a full experience.

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 12:29:37 pm »
Only main concern is this news about it being episodic... I don't see how it is going to work.

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 03:53:49 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_remake/view
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznek1uNVsg

I know it's it's old news by now but what are your thoughts? I used to really long after a remake of one of my all time favorites and naturally the trailer looks amazing. But I don't know what to think about the "drastic combat changes" that apparently will happen in the remake. Of course the combat system of the original appears terribly dated and slow now (sans the materia/slot system, I still think it's really fun), so it's no surprise they are working on that. I'm just afraid they will mess it up, like into some sort of action/round-based hybrid which I hate with a passion.

That game is probably the only reason I'm considering the PS4 but I guess I'll hold off until I've seen some legit game footage.

I dont know how they would be able to screw up a simple remake of an old classic, but I stil fear that Square will somehow manage.  :o

gf78

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 09:16:38 am »
If they decide to release it in "downloadable chunks" they can shove it.  I'll wait for the full retail release.  I've waited 18 years now, what's one more?

If they go the route of expanding the scope of what Final Fantasy VII is and make multiple games out of it, not only encompassing what happened in the original but also expanding on it then I will be in line to buy it.

soera

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 09:20:05 am »
I really hope its not DLC stuff either. Eventually DLC is unusable. That is my only fear in it. Breaking up the game doesnt bother me (other than Im going to be blasting through the game and will be waiting on next round to continue). But it must be done on disks.

gf78

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 11:51:08 am »
I really hope its not DLC stuff either. Eventually DLC is unusable. That is my only fear in it. Breaking up the game doesnt bother me (other than Im going to be blasting through the game and will be waiting on next round to continue). But it must be done on disks.

Yup.  ^^^This so much.  I like Telltale games, but I refuse to buy downloads.  I wait for the full release on disc.  On PC, I don't mind DLC as much because there are archives of old files just about everywhere.  I can take any PC game that I own and go out and find update files and mods for them regardless of their age. 

On Console?  DLC has an expiration date.  Whenever the provider decides they no longer want  to host that content, it's  gone never to be seen again.   :'(

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2016, 07:12:11 pm »
That game is probably the only reason I'm considering the PS4 but I guess I'll hold off until I've seen some legit game footage.

Legit game footage has arrived and I want to have it's digital babies.

Looks like they've decided to go the Kingdom Hearts route with the combat system and I'm perfectly okay with that.

Really liking the way Barret looks.

Episodic I'm torn about. One the one hand we'll get it in our hands sooner. On the other hand I hope licensing doesn't doom it to never getting a complete and proper physical release.

Licensing of some of the music is why we've never seen a PSN digital release (or any kind of re-release at all) of Crisis Core.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:05:45 pm by dashv »