Author Topic: Do you ever just stare at your collection in awe?  (Read 5416 times)

gf78

Do you ever just stare at your collection in awe?
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:08:02 am »
I'm bored at work...so I figured I would start a new topic.  But seriously, have you ever just laid your collection out, or looked over it on the shelves and marveled at it's magnificence? 

With my gaming room gone (converted into a bedroom for one of my daughter's when she got too old to stay in the same room with her sister), I sold off many of my classic systems, figures, collectibles, posters, etc.  The games and other remaining stuff was boxed up and stored in my bedroom closet to keep them safe.  But after a month of so of gathering more games, I drag them all out and reorganize them. 

My wife came into the bedroom the last time I was reorganizing my PS2 collection.  Upon looking up and down the alphabetical rows, she told me I was sick and I had a problem.  LOL.  When I was younger, I never dreamed I would have a collection of games like this, especially after I had to sell my original PlayStation collection. 

I think it's pretty cool that lined up in one of my cabinets, there is a row of Nintendo handhelds.  Even though I don't really play the old one's any longer and do most of my handheld gaming on my New 3DS and Vita, it's an awesome look back through the history of these electronic devices that have brought me so much joy over the years.  It's also really cool to see how technology has advanced through the years, from the giant, bulky GameBoy that took 4 AA batteries and had a tiny, green dot matrix screen to the New 3DS with all the functions and technology packed into it (even though I still think the screen is too low res). 

I hope the day when download-only gaming never comes.  Even though I can look across my shelf and be proud of my PS4 game collection, I sigh when I think how 90% of them don't even have a manual in them anymore.  It's also a big part of why I support indie developers who take their download-only titles and make a physical release.  I'm more than happy to pay money for a game like Stick it to the Man or Terraria on disc.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:10:03 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

aliensstudios

Re: Do you ever just stare at your collection in awe?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 11:21:17 am »
I'm one of those people who's always got to have more, more, more! To be honest though, I sometimes feel very blessed to have all of the games I have, and why I may not stare at them in awe per say, I really love my collection. A few years ago, I had only enough games to fill up two drawers on a plastic dresser, now I have enough to fill three shelves! Game collecting is one of the best hobbies in the world I'd say.

I too hope download only never becomes a thing. I think it's a bit of a ways off, but it'll happen someday.  :-\
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:36:25 am »
I'm one of those people who's always got to have more, more, more! To be honest though, I sometimes feel very blessed to have all of the games I have, and why I may not stare at them in awe per say, I really love my collection. A few years ago, I had only enough games to fill up two drawers on a plastic dresser, now I have enough to fill three shelves! Game collecting is one of the best hobbies in the world I'd say.

I too hope download only never becomes a thing. I think it's a bit of a ways off, but it'll happen someday.  :-\

LOL...I know all about that drive for "more, more, more!"  I too feel blessed to have everything I do.  While I don't have the disposable income to bring in major hauls every weekend (looking your way Flea   :P ), I'm still able to enjoy my hobby by picking up old games and keeping up with the new releases. 

There are a lot of people out there who as the saying goes "don't have a pot to piss in."  I always try to remind myself of that fact and how I'm fortunate that my family has a roof over our heads, food in our bellies and we are able to go out and have fun and drive a dependable car. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

thewelshman

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:10:41 pm »
I've gotten to where my "awe" turns into "awe hell am I going to play all of these?" I've been slowly going through them in recent months, though my purchasing has slowed considerably since I realized that I don't have to try and buy EVERY release that comes out.

Plus, getting married and sharing a bank account with my wife makes it harder to just buy whatever I want.

dondetti

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:16:56 pm »
I don't have a game collection that I suppose is that awe inspiring to the hardcore collectors out there. Many incomplete games/loose cardridges and no seriously rare stuff (yet). But I understand this notion of "proudness" too much with my other main interest, I like to just pull out a record and marvel at it because it is so rare and took me years to find. It's a thing that just happens if you spend a lot of time & money with something and see good results in the end IMO.
I can you only chance
You need spell your soul
To the horrid spooky devil
That's a voyage to Hell

Games: https://vgcollect.com/dondetti
Music: https://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/parabellum

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 12:55:48 pm »
I totally do this from time to time, especially since we moved many of our games into our streaming room.  Sometimes I'll be streaming a game, and someone asks if I've played a particular game, and sometimes I'll have to think about it and look over to the shelf and scan for the box.  In those moments, I remember how fortunate I am to have built up the collection I have.

Also, I feel very fortunate that my boyfriend is also a gamer!  He understands my game collecting hobby and enjoys it as much as I do.

I hope to live in a place where I can have my game collection all in one room. At the moment, it's split between the streaming room, the bedroom, and a spare bedroom.

I'm not a fan of digital games unless they're PC only.  Even then, if they happened to have a PC retail copy, I enjoy having that in view as well.  Something about the tangible product is nice - otherwise it's just floating out there in the digital ether.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:57:39 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 01:07:51 pm »
I totally do this from time to time, especially since we moved many of our games into our streaming room.  Sometimes I'll be streaming a game, and someone asks if I've played a particular game, and sometimes I'll have to think about it and look over to the shelf and scan for the box.  In those moments, I remember how fortunate I am to have built up the collection I have.

Also, I feel very fortunate that my boyfriend is also a gamer!  He understands my game collecting hobby and enjoys it as much as I do.

I hope to live in a place where I can have my game collection all in one room. At the moment, it's split between the streaming room, the bedroom, and a spare bedroom.

I'm not a fan of digital games unless they're PC only.  Even then, if they happened to have a PC retail copy, I enjoy having that in view as well.  Something about the tangible product is nice - otherwise it's just floating out there in the digital ether.

I'm hoping to win the auctions for my last two Squaresoft PS1 games I need.  I feel incredibly excited to know I am close to having the complete collection of those games.  Once they all arrive (and assuming I win those last two!), I'm going to lay them all out and take a pic for this site.  I have a pack of brand-new jewel cases so any that have scuffed cases will be replaced post-haste.  It's a small victory for me on my road to having my dream PS1 collection!

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 02:55:46 pm »
"Do you ever just stare at your collection in awe?"

Many times!

Hmm... I look at my collection in awe every day! :P

...and I want MORE! :D

gf78

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 03:09:22 pm »
"Do you ever just stare at your collection in awe?"

Many times!

Hmm... I look at my collection in awe every day! :P

...and I want MORE! :D

LOL!

kashell

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 03:14:35 pm »
I wouldn't say stare in awe, but I do glance at it and I'm proud of it because it's a collection that caters to me and my unique tastes in games. I'm proud of the fact that 90% of the games in my library have been played in some capacity, most of which to the end of the credits and some with 100% completion.

However, I do always ensure that it is kept in the most pristine condition. I love cleaning the house anyways, so the game room gets the same treatment. The carpets around the shelves are vacuumed. The shelves are dusted. The games get dusted as needed and an aerosol can gets used on each system to get rid of any remaining dust. The controllers get wiped down and removed of any gunk. It's amazing how filthy those can get just with use. Controllers that aren't in use and have chords get neatly wrapped in a fashion that would make Miss Manners beam with pride. Since the bonus room is used as the "hobby" room (not just the game room), it also has a lot of vinyl records on display in special frames. These get cleaned, as well. The board game tables get Pledged to hell and high water, but that might be because I'm addicted to the smell of lemony freshness. I go through such painstaking tasks to ensure everyone else can stare in awe at not only the content, but the pristine nature of everything.

"The cleanliness of your game room is a reflection of you" said no one until now. ^o^v

telly

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »
I don't think I have enough games yet to invoke awe yet...

But someday... someday...  ;D
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

gf78

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 03:40:54 pm »
"The cleanliness of your game room is a reflection of you" said no one until now. ^o^v

LOL....you should put that quote in your sig.

gf78

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 03:41:34 pm »

You're on your way.   8)

kashell

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 03:47:11 pm »

As long as you are happy with it, then that's all that matters.

LOL....you should put that quote in your sig.

If it came from someone else, then I would. Otherwise, I think it's kind of egotistical to quote yourself. XD

telly

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 03:58:06 pm »

You're on your way.   8)

Damn right!  8)

I'm young, I got time haha

As long as you are happy with it, then that's all that matters.

Very true, as long as I'm adding games that I like then I don't mind if it's not that big of a collection :D
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery