Author Topic: Do you ever just stare at your collection in awe?  (Read 5412 times)

desocietas

Re: Do you ever just stare at your collection in awe?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 08:01:47 pm »
I frequently do that with my Steam collection.
"Why the hell did I buy all this junk?"

Hahaha, I know, right? That's the one thing about physical games - you realize a lot faster that you're just adding filler and need shelf space for it all.  It's just a bottomless void with Steam games...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Warmsignal

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 09:56:32 pm »
Since my bed faces a wall that has a bunch of PS2/XBOX stuff on it, it's pretty much the last thing I see at night and the first thing I see waking up. I sometimes think to myself - when did I become this wall-o-games person? Then I remember I've been at it for 7 years, maybe longer, buying more games every single week.

Yeah, it's pretty awe inspiring seeing all of this great software in one place, but also sometimes scary. I buy them because I intend to play them, but I fear that I won't for most of them. It's difficult for me to do stuff like play a game, especially living with untreated depression and anxiety. Popping in a game often seems like building a house with my bare hands, in my mind. So imagine what playing all of them would mean. Just going out and buying another one is so much easier.  :P  ::)

But I keep looking at this light at the end of a tunnel. There are strict limitations to what more will be added to the pile and that feels good. I'm not collecting games beyond 7th gen except for Nintendo consoles, from this point, and my wishlist keeps shrinking ever so slowly.
I do that too, I buy a game I probably won't ever get around to playing. With my Wii U though, I've completed or at least tried to complete every game I've purchased for it. It may sound odd, but sometimes when I pop a game in and start playing it, I feel guilty, like I should be doing something else. Every game I've gotten recently is something I genuinely wanted to play, but sometimes I don't end up doing so.
A lot of my PS2 games were found next to a dumpster at GameStop and I have no interest in about half of them, I just grabbed them because they were there. I've been thinking of selling off the games I don't want so my collection is just all the games I like, but I keep telling myself it's quantity over quality when I know it's not true.

I've come to accept that my intention is only to play these games, not to beat them. I'm okay with it, as long as I've given it a go for a few hours. Whether I love it, or hate, it's likely that I won't come back to playing it that many times. Unless it's really, really something special and I'm in a really positive mood.

I couldn't sell my games off. As sad as it sounds, this collection is one of my life's biggest achievements, and I've put a lot of my soul into it. It's flawed in some ways, but it is my creation I guess. That's why right now, I see it as worth keeping basically forever.  ???  :P
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:58:07 pm by Warmsignal »

jsoup

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 02:03:58 am »
I frequently do that with my Steam collection.
"Why the hell did I buy all this junk?"

Hahaha, I know, right? That's the one thing about physical games - you realize a lot faster that you're just adding filler and need shelf space for it all.  It's just a bottomless void with Steam games...

And the bad part is you don't realize it's happening. Some of my Steam pit I bought cause I was interested in it and have yet to bother playing. The rest were all $1 bundles that I figured I'd fiddle with eventually and may as well get since the price was so low. Then I got the Steam badge for having 500 games.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 08:04:11 pm »
I couldn't sell my games off. As sad as it sounds, this collection is one of my life's biggest achievements, and I've put a lot of my soul into it. It's flawed in some ways, but it is my creation I guess. That's why right now, I see it as worth keeping basically forever.  ???  :P

This.  Well said

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 08:16:43 pm »

This.  Well said

That's how I feel, too. I don't know how many people see my collection of comics and games combined and ask why I don't sell it. Because it's what makes me happy, I'd just turn around and use the money to replace a lot of it anyways.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 08:28:28 pm »

This.  Well said

That's how I feel, too. I don't know how many people see my collection of comics and games combined and ask why I don't sell it. Because it's what makes me happy, I'd just turn around and use the money to replace a lot of it anyways.

I've been shopping for a Polaris RZR, one of those side by sides that goes too fast.  I won't pull the trigger because I want to save and pay cash for one. 
My friends tell me to sell out and buy 3 of those things. No way.  This is my collection.  I've spent a decade + on this.

azure

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 08:45:02 pm »
My collection isn't awe worthy, but I do love it very much. Sometimes I just like to sit and look through the art, manual, etc of my favorite games and the memories I have with them.

gf78

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 10:37:04 am »
My collection isn't awe worthy, but I do love it very much. Sometimes I just like to sit and look through the art, manual, etc of my favorite games and the memories I have with them.

Just because your collection isn't huge doesn't mean it's not great.  You have a lot of great items, games, etc. and all complete.  Be proud of what you have. 

EDIT:  No, I take that back.  Your collection is pretty bad-ass.  Everyone starts out with just one game.  And hey, you have a complete copy of Xenoblade Chronicles so that puts you in elite status.   8)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 10:54:56 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 10:41:21 am »

There is always going to be somebody that tells you what you are doing is a waste of time, waste of money, blah, blah, blah.  My parents could never possibly understand what I see in games and use just about every opportunity to tell me how I should quit "playing with toys" because that's all they will ever be in their eyes.

Meanwhile, they spend their days of retirement watching sh!t like Dancing with the Stars and America's Got Talent.  Talk about a waste of your life there.   ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

telly

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 10:42:26 am »

I think you have a great collection! You have a lot of interesting/different games and consoles :)
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery