Author Topic: Would you ever consider this?  (Read 2289 times)

rayne315

Would you ever consider this?
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:20:08 pm »
My local gameing store has had a copy of conkers bad fur day for almost 2 months now. When I first saw it the label was almost completely tore off and it had thick black permanent marker over where the label was, spelling out "Kronker". Well 2 weeks ago I went back in there and the same cart was still sitting in the case but only this time the label was in emaculate shape like it had just come out of the box. I know it was the same cart because you could see very faintly parts of "Kronker" still under the label.

So my question is from a collecting point of view would you ever consider doing something like this to your collection, or ever knowingly purchase an item that has had something like this done to it?

Also if you noticed something like this happen would you ever return to that store?
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

thewelshman

Re: Would you ever consider this?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 04:07:11 pm »
So, are you saying they relabeled the cart with a new sticker?

As a collector, I would pass. I'm not one of those types that it has to be in perfect/mint condition, but it needs to be presentable. It's like choosing between a '67 Mustang, and a 97' Mustang. Both will get you from point a to point b, but which would rather be seen in?

I've bought custom made cases for some of my SNES games that are pretty badass. They aren't the original cardboard box, but they're nice to look at.

rayne315

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 04:17:02 pm »
So, are you saying they relabeled the cart with a new sticker?

As a collector, I would pass. I'm not one of those types that it has to be in perfect/mint condition, but it needs to be presentable. It's like choosing between a '67 Mustang, and a 97' Mustang. Both will get you from point a to point b, but which would rather be seen in?

I've bought custom made cases for some of my SNES games that are pretty badass. They aren't the original cardboard box, but they're nice to look at.

Sorry yes they removed the torn sticker and placed a replica on to the cart and then raised the price on the item.

I personally get tuned off to places like this. To me things like this are almost the same as re-sealed used games, and makes the item no longer a legitimate copy. Almost like a bootlegged game.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 04:39:45 pm »
Depends on how much the price difference was and if they admit it is a reprint of the label. If they lied to me, I would stop shopping there.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 05:04:36 pm »
No chance in hell.  I'd bitch pretty loud too. 
I chewed a guy's ass for selling repro boxes as real. 

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 06:06:33 pm »
I also pass on a disc based game where it's obvious they printed out a grainy copy of the cover art when it's missing. It just looks horrible

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 06:13:02 pm »
I would stop shopping at the store unless they are very clear that the cart has a repro sticker on it. Which they probably can't be because my guess this is against the law due to copyright issues.

Seems shady to me.

The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 07:26:37 pm »
While I'm not against a label replacement, that's pretty scummy of them to raise the price on something that is clearly not original anymore.  Even if the original sticker was thrashed, adding a new, non-original, sticker doesn't just automatically raise the price I feel in terms of game collecting, especially if they are acting like it's original.  If it's advertised as being re-labeled, maybe I wouldn't be too annoyed at the price increase, but it's not great.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 07:33:44 pm »
Would I consider buying it? Maybe, depends on how much I wanted Kronker. I've considered buying a total reproduction cart of Earthbound for my collection, if I can get it cheap enough.

You'd be lucky to find a store that would discount "Kronker" from the cost of an immaculate copy. Nobody does that anymore, for whatever reason everything is the eBay average price regardless of condition. Though everyone knows, there's not a collector of any sort out there who wants that ripped up Kronker because it looks like crap. So might as well fix it.

I think when a cart as been resto'd, it should also be priced at the lower end of the spectrum of condition that nobody pays attention to. It should say reproduction label (most label sources do this). Obviously I'm not opposed to existence of reproductions. I make reproduction boxes myself, they are labeled as such so as not to cause confusion. IMO, they don't really increase the value of a loose game and definitely do not reflect the value of an original box.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:37:08 pm by Warmsignal »

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 07:38:29 pm »
I would've bought the game in its original shape, with the Kronker name. I mean, that just gives it extra style, more appeal. ;)

pacpix

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 08:35:33 pm »
I do not have a problem with replacement labels/boxes most of the time IF it is clearly marked somewhere on the item that it is a replacement.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

soera

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 08:56:07 pm »
I would prefer the nicer label. What I would not prefer is the price raise cause of it.

aliensstudios

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 08:57:13 pm »
I've put labels on some of my games before. My EarthBound and F-Zero games for example, had no labels at all on them so I printed some out on high quality glossy paper and they look pretty good now, if I was to sell them, I would remove the labels likely. If they changed the price by putting a label on it though, I'd pass for sure.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

theflea

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 12:29:46 pm »
You know If the label is in horrible shape and they wanted to replace it fine, BUT charging more for it is a rip off.
A replaced label is the same value as a missing label game in my opinion. I get really mad are the people who replace the label and try and hide it. I hate people who make and sell replacement labels and don't have anywhere on the label its a reproduction label. This is just trying to deceive people to think its a mint label and pay more for it, this is what I have a serious problem with.

Personally if I see 2 games for sale, one with a damaged label and one with a mint replaced label I'd buy the damaged one before I'd buy the replaced one.

There are only 2 reasons to buy a replacement label, one you have a collection but you don't want an ugly label to be displayed or your a reseller who wants to get more money by deceiving a buyer that it's a mint label.

The thing that sucks is most reprint labels I see to buy online do not say "reproduction label" so most people are going to be duped. I have a serous problem with this.   >:(
"Happy game hunting!!!"

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 01:12:28 pm »
Honestly at this point I'd say eff Conker on N64 and just get Rare Replay. :)