Author Topic: Nintendo Files Patent for New Games Console; Will Not Include Optical Disk Drive  (Read 4435 times)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

tpugmire

The return of cartridges?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

The return of cartridges?
'

I hope so, and not digital only.....

1049-2600-8730

turom

PRO Supporter

includes a “controller with a display screen” as well

/facepalm

Ok let's just say it's a new "light" version of the Wii U like they did for the Wii Mini...
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

I've seen other discussion that they could move towards something like an SD card type of format for the NX or maybe a new cartridge form which I would love, as I can't see them going digital only would be a smart move.  North America being a big market for them isn't ready infrastructure wise for this to truly happen yet.  Some day it will happen, that's a guarantee, it's just not a feasible thing to do right now.

I'm really hoping this means Nintendo plans to release their games on SDXC cards because I'd be totally for that. If this means they're going digital only then it looks like the Wii U will be my last Nintendo console :/

rancesama

I heard that they are releasing two versions of the NX. One that will have a disc drive and is backwards compatible with Wii U games and a version with no disc drive. The one without the disc drive will of course have a bigger hard drive to store more digital games (I think like 500GB or something). It's also suppose to have a main terminal and a portable unit that you can take with you when you leave the house. But who knows how much of that is true or not.

Of course, I guess we won't know for sure until E3 next year.

See news, reviews and more at Nintendo Frontier!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Wii U is already my last Nintendo console. I feel completely burned by it. Yeah, there are fun games on it. But it's nearly been a year since I've bought anything for my Wii U. In the meantime, I'm watching all kinds of awesome stuff coming out on Xbox One and PS4.

Going digital only could be a disastrous move for Nintendo right now. I certainly hope for their sake this isn't true. I already skipped the Wii U as many have, how many more will skip a digital only NX?

theflea

Going full on digital only will kill the collector market for the NX. I know I wont be buying one at launch. Maybe later once the price drops and a couple games I wanted to just play are out for a while and maybe price drop.

The SD card idea I'm totally down for, Make games like the old Turbo Grafx days. lol
I remember reading about the NX would have compatibility with the next handheld system, maybe they are trying to do what Turbo Grafx and Sega did and have a home console and handheld that plays the same games. Play it on the NX then pull it out put it in the NXDS and continue the game on the go. This would make sense for no CD drive.  :D

"Happy game hunting!!!"

Long as it isn't digital only otherwise Wii u will be the last system I get from Nintendo and I guarantee I am not the only one who thinks that way. Let the waiting game begin.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Long as it isn't digital only otherwise Wii u will be the last system I get from Nintendo and I guarantee I am not the only one who thinks that way. Let the waiting game begin.

I am the same way, once its all digital, ill stop buying systems. And a lot of people seem to share the same idea. I only know a handful of people that like the idea of  digital gaming. But these are your COD/BF only players.

1049-2600-8730

maximo310

It would be stupid for them to go all- digital for their next console,since physical profits are still doing pretty well. I'm seeing a SD card option for physical, along with eshop for digital, and then a disk drive add on for backwards comptability.  However, I don't know how cost effective SD cards will be compared to discs, since discs are extremely cheap to produce at this point. I wish that hvds ( holographic discs) would fall in price, since that storage format seems to be a sizable improvement over blu-ray in data transfer and storage, but I don't think its a viable and cost effective option to use just yet.

abe

includes a “controller with a display screen” as well

/facepalm

Ok let's just say it's a new "light" version of the Wii U like they did for the Wii Mini...

I really hope that this is the case.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

soera

Im not going to say anything that hasnt been mentioned ... Digital only = no buy for me. Im pretty much done with nintendo home consoles anyhow. I have a Wii U and barely have 10 games on it and only one in the future.