Author Topic: Nintendo Files Patent for New Games Console; Will Not Include Optical Disk Drive  (Read 4574 times)

Warmsignal

Regardless of what it is, it seems like Nintendo is brewing up yet another "innovative" piece of hardware that developers aren't going to touch with a pole that has at least ten feet to spare on it. What else is new.

rayne315

It seems more like the upgrate to the wii u. If you look at the diagram for the Controller you will notice there is a spot for a "Display Unit" maybe they are just going to make it a cheaper version by removing the disc drive.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

haloofthesun

Black Hound, a game for PS4 and XB1, is also being announced for a "currently unannounced Nintendo console", making it seem more likely that the reports of third party devs being happy with the NX are true. I believe this is a Hideo Kojima game, not entirely sure.

Whether or not the NX will be digital only (I still find this highly unlikely), it's pretty cool that Nintendo may finally get some third party support again.

While this is the rumoriest of rumors, if proven true, it would basically be quite the leap for Nintendo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/3jiqin/rumor_nx_platform_details_both_console_handheld/

It has most of what people would want out of the system.  It would be a unified online platform with proper online accounts, friends lists, cross save/cross play, all the stuff a modern game system should have.  The optical drive is still said to not be built in, but optional.  It sounds like a big part of the NX is essentially something that interconnects with all its parts easily, but you can sorta pick the system you want in bundles at different prices.  Very clearly is getting the third party support.  It's also supposed to be close to the current gen systems so it can be easier to port stuff.  Some other good things, though I question bringing out the portable first as replacing the 3DS and then up to a year later, bringing out the home unit.  The 3DS, while at its peak now and basically unable to progress further, is still selling.  2 more years of the Wii U just doesn't seem feasible to me, especially if they start promoting the NX, which will kill more sales of the Wii U.

Anyways, its all just rumor at this point, but its interesting information to consider.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

I'm not believing anything till I hear it from Nintendo themselves. After the Rayman in Smash debacle  I'm pretty sure a lot people follow this same thought

I'm not believing anything till I hear it from Nintendo themselves. After the Rayman in Smash debacle  I'm pretty sure a lot people follow this same thought

This is different than that, really.  A well executed hoax like that is more for the attention than an anonymous source leaking out very rumor filled information on just the possibility of what is to come with the NX.  Always best to take with a grain of salt, but a lot of the ideas are smart and make a lot of sense.

tafk

PRO Supporter

My hat is that its similar to the PSTV. Its a 3DSTV, lets you play DS/3DS carts on your TV.