Author Topic: What do you prefer retro or modern games?  (Read 3840 times)

soera

Re: What do you prefer retro or modern games?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 10:54:24 am »
Im way on the side of modern but there are some classics that will never cease to be awesome.

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 11:29:28 pm »
This might be a copout, but I like both equally, for different reasons of course.

Retro: many retro games have a special charm to them that is absent in most modern games. In addition to that they are simple yet fun most of the time; there isn't tutorials or giant, overly complex gameplay mechanics, just you and the game. And of course, Nostalgia makes retro games just that much more enjoyable as they remind me of being a kid again.

Modern: modern games are mostly a huge leap in evolution over their retor counterparts and this can be for better or worse. I also am blown away by huge games like GTA or Skyrim. I definitely find myself more immersed and dedicated to modern games than retro games.

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 11:37:34 pm »
Mostly modern.  I collect classic stuff as more of a hobby and play them once in awhile, but I prefer to have cool, new, experiences with the current technology.

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 11:00:18 am »
Lately, retro games.  I have been so disappointed with current gen games (Xbox One/PS4).  I've been playing SNES and N64 more than anything.

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 03:48:30 pm »
More retro games.

I do enjoy some modern games on the nintendo consoles But i have still yet to discover allot of the older games.

I say nintendo consoles since I find ps3 upwards pretty much junk and for xbox .....

I only find very few ps3 games to be appealing to me. I do not like games that are realistic like assasins greed GTA, infamous, the last of us etc etc and ps3 has plenty of stuff like that, in my eyes pretty much everything in that library.

Also as an rpg gamer there are allot of great rpg titles wich I have yet to play on the ps1 and 2 console plenty to go through for me same goes for shoot em ups beat em ups, 2d fighting games and platformers. I'm especially a sucker for them 2d grapics on them sega and nintendo consoles.

Also the charm and soundtracks are usually better and nostalgic and the difficulty factor is harder however some modern games have proven that you can make a game way more difficult than the original.

For modern consoles there are only few games that I would pick up and play while for the older stuff there so much to choose from wich I have yet to experience, I don't find the current gen technology to be to interesting especially for the consoles aside from nintendo.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 03:58:54 pm »
I bounce back and forth on this. 

Right now, I think play more modern stuff since Mario Maker gets most of my time. 

I'll end up back playing retro more.  Can't we just be both?

sin2beta

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 05:53:05 pm »
Retro games mostly. I like the short play time needed for most of them. Most of my modern gaming is limited to just a few games (WoW and Starcraft mostly.) However, when I need to destress or really just enjoy myself, the sega Genesis seems to be my go to.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 10:09:06 pm »
Whether modern or Retro I like SOLID games.

Games that are complete (or at the very least feel complete without any DLC).
Smooth & responsive controls.
Games that may have baked in glitches but they add character. (Small firepower in Super Mario Bros.)
Game breaking bugs require you to go out of your way to discover and add a sense of exploration (the world -1 glitch in SMB).
Replay ability

Modern games are really only lacking for me in the first category.

What's changed I think is that it used to be easy to pick the good games from the bad. Then the bad games died.

Now we have to wait and see if a bad game becomes a good game after some patches and DLC come along.

For me if there is any question I just treat it as if it was a bad game. Because that's what it will be years from now when the download servers go dark.

But there are still good games made today that meet my above criteria.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 08:05:59 am »
For me its Retro for RPG's and other games based around stories. But shooters and sports games are definitely better on modern consoles.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 10:13:11 am »
I guess that all depends on what you define as "retro." Obviously Wii U, XBONE and PS4 are modern, but where is the cutoff between retro and modern? I guess I'll go with my own definition and go with anything before 7th gen.

I play mostly retro games, mostly from the 5th and 6th gen of gaming. That seems to be where I play at least 2/3 of all my games. The other third seems to be split between modern games and stuff from the 16 and 8-bit era.

So I guess I prefer retro games.