Author Topic: Can we make item additions require approval from a mod before being listed?  (Read 2333 times)

gf78

Countless times when browsing through the listed items there are duplicates.  Many times, these are due to spelling errors such as the recently listed Panzar Dragoon for the Saturn US.

I hate to add any burden on the mods already working diligently on this site, but it would be beneficial if something was put into place to curb this.  Just my two cents and as always, thank you for all the hard work on this great site.   ;D
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Can we make item additions require approval from a mod before being listed?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:35:27 am »
AFAIK, the mods *already* do approve/are approving (tacitly & implicitly; at least) the item in question as *their* part (aka: the
*next* part) in the process of a/the mod...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

tpugmire

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 10:22:21 am »
It's something we have debated in the past. We want to make it easy for people to add items without waiting forever for approval. This worked great in the early days when we were originally populating the database, but I agree, it's kind of a pain now. We have to approve all edits, to keep people from maliciously changing items, but new submissions can be created freely. We've tossed around a few ideas, but nothing has been decided.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

gf78

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 10:29:43 am »
AFAIK, the mods *already* do approve/are approving (tacitly & implicitly; at least) the item in question as *their* part (aka: the
*next* part) in the process of a/the mod...

I know the mods have to approve changes to any item listed, but it seems at the moment you can just add any old item and it automatically gets listed.  For example, I could list a game called "turd burglar" and have it appear in the game listings immediately.

It was just a suggestion as that is what this part of the forum is for.  There tends to be a problem with people not seeing an item exactly as they type it, so they create a new entry instead of just looking through the alphabetical listing for the given platform to see if it exists.   
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:32:39 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 11:00:01 am »
Ultimately we just need a better search algorithm.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 12:55:12 pm »

Yup.

rayne315

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 01:16:20 pm »

A much simpler idea for the short term while this may/maynot be being worked on is to keep it the way it is but add a que for the staff to be able to approve it.

It would show up instantly yes but now it would no longer require the comunity to point out the dups.

You could also add a notes section to the listing that only shows up to staff so people can explain why they made the new listing. Something like "my case has has a sentence on the front that is not on any other version"
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 02:36:52 pm »

A much simpler idea for the short term while this may/maynot be being worked on is to keep it the way it is but add a que for the staff to be able to approve it.

It would show up instantly yes but now it would no longer require the comunity to point out the dups.

You could also add a notes section to the listing that only shows up to staff so people can explain why they made the new listing. Something like "my case has has a sentence on the front that is not on any other version"

According to the Style Guide you need to put the difference in the title.

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 03:09:12 pm »

According to the Style Guide you need to put the difference in the title.

The description section, as well, would also be a good place to indicate in detail about a variant.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 04:26:53 pm »
I thought the style guide also mentioned that. I've told people to note any differences in the description (and I've nagged folks reporting dupes because the differences are listed in the description. :p)

rayne315

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 06:08:21 pm »
Lol I always thought the description section was for the back page of the cover's writing. Now I see there is another section for that
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 01:32:47 pm »

What if there was a que of new listings that the community could review. We could probably easily find dups or other issues and then just point them out for the mods in the appropriate threads. That way there is no extra work for the mods, listings still get made quickly, and there is at least an easy way for the community to find these early on instead of stumbling across Exsite Bike a year later.

The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 11:01:22 am »
I thought the style guide also mentioned that. I've told people to note any differences in the description (and I've nagged folks reporting dupes because the differences are listed in the description. :p)

You have to remember that there are going to be a large number of people who use the site and never visit the forum or may not even know it exists. I know this is true of other collection sites where a forum is present, however the other one I use does have it set so mods have to approve new entries.

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 11:11:45 am »

You have to remember that there are going to be a large number of people who use the site and never visit the forum or may not even know it exists. I know this is true of other collection sites where a forum is present, however the other one I use does have it set so mods have to approve new entries.

I thought the submission page had a link to the style guide, but it doesn't...  It just refers to it.  That can definitely be a little confusing for folks who are new to the site and aren't interested in looking in the forums.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 03:38:27 pm »
Maybe make a peer review system? Like Mod approval or 5 users (with over a certain # of forum posts) can also approve?