Author Topic: Do you buy game guides? Anyone collect game magazines, or game guides?  (Read 5953 times)

dreama1

Do you buy game guides or did you ever buy one in the past for a certain game? And why that game?

Anyone collect game magazines, or guide books? Show your collection.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Do you buy game guides? Anyone collect game magazines, or game guides?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 07:44:37 pm »
I collect gaming magazines. Have a bit of Nintendo Power, Retro Gamer, GamePro, Electronic Gaming Monthly, Official PSM, Official Dreamcast, and Game Informer. I love going back to them because they are like a snapshot of the industry at that time. The games, the trends, the attitudes of gamers, etc.

I don't do the guides, though, just because I like the sense of discovery in a game, and a guide spoils all that.

I can't take any pics at the moment, I'm less than a week from moving, so a lot of that stuff is packed away right now.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 07:50:05 pm »
I've got a bunch of magazine, mainly from the early and mid 2000s. The majority of them are Official Nintendo Magazine and GamesMaster.

soera

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:04:00 pm »
I have matching guides for almost every PS1 game I own. I also get guides for specific games I really enjoy such as Ni No Kuni.

I also have some magazines. I have the full Turbo Grafx magazine set and Im missing the first issue for the Challenge newsletter set.

dreama1

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 09:06:54 pm »
I have matching guides for almost every PS1 game I own. I also get guides for specific games I really enjoy such as Ni No Kuni.

I also have some magazines. I have the full Turbo Grafx magazine set and Im missing the first issue for the Challenge newsletter set.
This isn't added to the site?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:09:14 pm by dreama1 »

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 09:09:17 pm »
I have a good handful of Sega Visions magazines and the majority of the Official Dreamcast Magazine.  I'd like to complete both of those sets at some point. Always loved flipping through those.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 09:41:41 pm »
I'll mainly pick up guides for RPG's and the Legend of Zelda games. Just because of the amount of stuff in an RPG I think that justifies the purchase, and I find th he maps helpful. Zelda... well mainly because it's Zelda it's kind of the collector in me if I get a Zelda game I also get the strategy guide to go with it.

soera

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 09:51:06 pm »

http://vgcollect.com/Soera/magazine

dreama1

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 09:57:11 pm »

http://vgcollect.com/Soera/magazine
wow you got a lot of pc engine mags but you only got 1 turbo game lol.

aliensstudios

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 11:26:36 pm »
I  have some game guides but I don't really collect them. I have a meager collection of about four years worth of Nintendo Power, I think 2005-2008? I stopped subscribing because I was entering High School and the magazine just wasn't that good anymore. I'm also interested in seeing someones collection
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

stealthrush

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 01:47:06 am »
Video Game Magazine Collection (1988-2005)

Growing up I used to obtain individual video game magazines at the the local supermarket while my parents shopped for groceries. Usually buying 2-3 a month for years. I still have all of them actually, at one point in time I was possessed  in creating POGZ out of the pages of some of them unfortunately. Also when the video rental store Blockbuster was closing in my area (not the nation-wide closure) the employee gave me a stack of strategy guides mostly for Nintendo 64 games, eventually sold majority of those.

I also have a GamePro PlayStation encyclopedia which was a double-issue giving brief reviews of every North American released PlayStation game at the time.

Also on my magazine collection link; I've stacked multiple magazines on top of each other describing each of them in a drop-down message but it seems flickr has removed that option.  >:(

Around 2010ish I supported GameFan return to magazine format and bought the first issue, and also occasionally bought Retro Gamer (UK) magazines 2012-13.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:49:32 am by stealthrush »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 02:03:41 am »
I've recently gotten into collecting guides for games I like.

I don't use them to beat the game. Instead I use them to see what I missed on my play through or to take a "walk down memory lane" for a game I've already beaten.

kam1kaz3nl77

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 01:41:17 pm »
I used to buy the Official Nintendo Magazine when they were released, but hard to get them at the end (@ Dutch book stores). Subscribed to Power Unlimited, since 2001 (Dutch gaming magazine)

I have about 65 guides of games that i like and still 17 on the wishlist
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:42:56 pm by kam1kaz3nl77 »

Upcoming Pre-orders:

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 02:19:08 pm »
I collect game guides for games i happen to play or own, but i don't actively go out and buy any...as i can get the same info on the net for free. They're just a neat thing to pick up if i find them.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 02:27:50 pm »
All written media about games is really cool. I totally collect it when I find it.