Author Topic: Need help with buying a TV  (Read 1715 times)

Need help with buying a TV
« on: September 24, 2015, 05:27:41 pm »
I was wondering if i should buy a tv with a 120hz refresh rate? Would it matter what devices I hook up to it or not?
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

silversyx

Re: Need help with buying a TV
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 05:43:40 pm »
The most you'll need right now is a 60 refresh rate since modern console only some of the time get that high. If you're planning on plugging your PC into the TV then it might be worth the 120. Not sure about movies, TV shows, streaming, apps, etc.

rayne315

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 06:27:35 pm »
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

According to this article 120Hz Is only useful for anything really fast or with a lot of fast horizontal panning (racing/sports). It also states that higher refresh rates are not necessarily better because It does not allow for any higher detail than is already there. IE. if you buy a movie and it only plays at 30 fps and does not have a lot of action happening all at once then it is only really utilizing the base 60hz. Even a 60 fps video game really only utilizes the base 60Hz it just more or less flashes the same frame 2 times on a 120Hz

For reference anything none box tv (flat screen, lcd, ect) has always had a 60Hz refresh

So In other words if you never notice/experience motion blur on your current tv then I wouldn't spend the extra money for just a higher refresh rate. Unless you think things like films/games will ever start displaying at 120fps which lets face it will take much longer than the life of the tv your getting anyway.

PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 07:51:22 pm »
Thanks guys.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:10:06 pm »
If you want to get more usage for content in 120 fps+, then you should get a moinitor that has that refresh rate for your pc. There is very little things on TV/movies/ console games that supports framerates greater than 60fps.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 02:02:07 pm »
I have a tv which you can put to game mode, and also change the Hz to 60 and 50. So you might wanne look into that when buying a tv.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 03:09:28 pm »
I have a tv which you can put to game mode, and also change the Hz to 60 and 50. So you might wanne look into that when buying a tv.
Maybe if I played PAL Region games I'd get one of those. I live in the NTSC region anyway.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 01:34:49 pm »
Maybe if I played PAL Region games I'd get one of those. I live in the NTSC region anyway.

You only use that if your gonna play older consoles. It has nothing to do with where you live.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 02:06:36 pm »

You only use that if your gonna play older consoles. It has nothing to do with where you live.
I didn't know the old consoles displayed in 50 Hz. I thought they where 60 Hz.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 03:20:37 pm »
Yep, thats why there are 2. 50 and 60. 50 for the Pal area and 60 for the NTSC area.

I think this was easier then building seperate tv's for Pal and NTSC area's  ;)