Author Topic: Steam/Indie games you wish had a physical release?  (Read 3738 times)

hexen

Steam/Indie games you wish had a physical release?
« on: November 02, 2015, 11:23:14 pm »
I've had a lot of trouble with the way games are going these days. With the advent of Steam, a lot more really interesting games have been coming out since individuals can really get their visions published without corporate meddling. However, by being Steam games, they are almost always without a physical release. I don't know if it's just me, but buying games without some physical incarnation feels awful to me. Recently I saw a video of Undertale and despite how gross it felt, I had to buy it to support it's creator (it's the greatest basically one-man game since Cave Story). Playing it just makes me wish I had a physical copy of it... along with a physical Cave Story (without gross edited music and graphics like the existing ones), Castle Crashers and so fourth. I'll probably never get a lot of the games I want in a physical box, but hey, at least Shovel Knight gets one soon...!

What games would you guys like to see physically released?
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

aliensstudios

Re: Steam/Indie games you wish had a physical release?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:30:32 pm »
I'd like to see Runbow, Mutant Mudds, Mega Man 9 & 10 and Snoopy Flying Ace get physical releases in some shape or form.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 12:09:55 am »
I wish all the recent Shantae games had physical releases. Pirate's Curse for 3DS is actually getting a retail Japanese release soon.

It would be great if the upcoming Shantae: Half Genie Hero could be released on disc too.

Mega Man 9 & 10 are good choices as well.

argyle

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 03:52:04 am »
I would love physical releases of these especially:

* A Housemarque collection - Super Stardust HD, Resogun & Dead Nation (Outland is published by Ubi Soft, so realistically it could never be in a collection with the others)
* Scott Pilgrim vs The World
* Rogue Legacy
* Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - I love this game more than I should. :)
* Dust: An Elysian Tail

There are many more, those are just off the top of my head.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

hexen

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 04:07:55 am »
* Rogue Legacy

Rouge Legacy actually got a physical release with IndieBox. I only found about it recently, and it gives some great games physical releases (Risk of Rain is the one I wanted, but alas, it's both sold out AND the most expensive one released). However, the random nature of it being a monthly box is a bit disappointing... you never know what will be added. Also, Undertale's creator apparently stated he wouldn't get Undertale on it, which makes me sad >.<
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 07:33:59 am »
Tripwire Interactive games. They've become one of my favorite devs in the past few years.
edit: They do make physical releases but in a very limited production run.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:39:04 am by badATchaos »

argyle

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 09:45:09 am »
* Rogue Legacy

Rouge Legacy actually got a physical release with IndieBox. I only found about it recently, and it gives some great games physical releases (Risk of Rain is the one I wanted, but alas, it's both sold out AND the most expensive one released). However, the random nature of it being a monthly box is a bit disappointing... you never know what will be added. Also, Undertale's creator apparently stated he wouldn't get Undertale on it, which makes me sad >.<

Sorta. I didn't see any specific info about it on that page, but if I recall correctly the actual game was either a Steam key or on a thumb drive in that set.

Anyway, I should have specified that I was referring more to physical console releases since I don't game on or collect for PC.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

hexen

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 03:05:24 pm »
* Rogue Legacy

Sorta. I didn't see any specific info about it on that page, but if I recall correctly the actual game was either a Steam key or on a thumb drive in that set.

Anyway, I should have specified that I was referring more to physical console releases since I don't game on or collect for PC.

Yeah, I understand. "Physical" copies that still require steam keys and stuff feel like somewhat of a hollow victory to me too... but I'd just get a anti-Steam crack and call it a win, it's the best I can often do. I also agree about valuing console games more because you don't have stuff like keys and the physical copy just plays the game.

davifus

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 03:35:22 pm »
Tripwire Interactive games. They've become one of my favorite devs in the past few years.
edit: They do make physical releases but in a very limited production run.

Have you tried Killing Floor 2?
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 05:24:00 pm »
Basically any Wayforward IP.

abe

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 05:56:10 pm »
Here's some off the top of my head.
-All of the new Shantae games.
-Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender DX (PS4 & PS Vita)
-Astebreed (PC & PS4)
-Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS)
-BattleBlock Theater (PC)
-Mighty Switch Force & Mighty Switch Force 2 (3DS)
-Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game (PS3)
-Starbound (PC)
-Surgeon Simulator: A&E Anniversary Edition (PS4)

Hopefully Limited Run Games will make physical editions of some of these eventually. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

soera

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 06:53:44 pm »
Child of Light is one high on my list as well as Costume quest 1&2.

abe

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 07:01:31 pm »
Child of Light is one high on my list

There's a physical PS Vita version of the game that isn't just a download code in a box.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 07:03:30 pm »
Child of Light is one high on my list

There's a physical PS Vita version of the game that isn't just a download code in a box.

was just writing that so I'll add

Which honestly is a bit of a weird choice to have the only Physical version of a game on.

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 08:29:03 pm »
I hope Yooka Laylee will have a real physical release.