Author Topic: N64 - No video output  (Read 2291 times)

crabhammer

N64 - No video output
« on: November 05, 2015, 02:09:45 am »
I had an N64 handed to me and it worked for the first 2 hours it was in my possession. Now I get a black screen no matter what video cable I use or what game I have in it.

I don't have much experience with N64 issues and this one is driving me insane! Any ideas?

Re: N64 - No video output
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 08:09:25 am »
Did the screen go black while a game was running?

If the screen is black right from powering on it could be as simple dirty contacts on your cartridges. I would try to clean the games first.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 09:26:11 am »
Did the screen go black while a game was running?

If the screen is black right from powering on it could be as simple dirty contacts on your cartridges. I would try to clean the games first.

This. Mine does the same thing till i clean the game/sit the game right.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

crabhammer

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 07:02:32 pm »
It didn't happen with a game in it. I haven't opened it up to see if the solder joints are cracked beneath the slot connector (had a Master System that gave me similar trouble until I reflowed the solder from pins to board).

The N64 is a bit foreign to me. If you guys have had similar trouble, then I might be on the right track.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 10:09:57 am »
If there's no game in the system your screen will remain black.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 10:12:36 am »
Where are you located? If you are in Southern California(LA county), ill take a look at it.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 11:46:42 pm »
Fiddle with how you insert your games. My N64 is quite finicky- you can't push carts in firmly or you get black. You have to push down gently, enough that you feel the game push into the connector, but not so much that you touch the cart to the bottom of the cart slot. See if your unit's got a 'sweet spot' to it.

crabhammer

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 12:09:48 am »
@fighterpilot562: I'm in the middle of no-coast land Missouri. Far from SoCal.

@hoshichiri: I'm one of those guys that isn't satisfied until there is no need to fiddle with a console to get it to do its one and only job. I want it to work every time without having to put on a tinfoil cap and face magnetic north while sacrificing Madden games to the console pantheon.

I haven't had the time to crack it open and check for cracked solder joints or corroded traces. I'm hoping to get that done in the next day or so. Fallout 4 permitting.

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 04:05:26 pm »
I'd try seating and reseating the jumper/expansion pak first before taking it apart. It might not work the first time and take a few cartridge resets, but its better than the one time I took the time to take one completely apart (no security screwdriver at the time either) opened it up, looked at it to found nothing so just put it back together for it to work fine. ::)

crabhammer

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 07:04:25 pm »
I hadn't thought of that.