Author Topic: New Valkyria Chronicles games announced!  (Read 4749 times)

gf78

Re: New Valkyria Chronicles games announced!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 10:00:20 am »
[This one angers me. I want this but I really dont want to try to get a 360 just for one game.

It was a great game.  Akira Toriyama's art was fantastic. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 10:55:06 am »
Xbox 360 actually had quite a few RPG's if I remember correctly, several exclusives too.  Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean were all Xbox exclusives with Star Ocean getting a port over a year later to the PS3.  Then you have others like Arcania Gothic 4, Blue Dragon, Dark, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic:  Elements, Divinity II-Ego Draconis, Divinity II-The Dragon Knight Saga, Fable Anniversary, Fable II, Fable III, Happy Wars, Kingdom Under Fire-Circle of Doom, Magna Carta II, Ninety-Nine-Nights 1 & 2, Naruto-Rise of a Ninja, Operation Darkness, The Outfit, Risen, Spectral Force 3, Too Human, Two Worlds and Witcher II.  All of those were Xbox exclusive.

Last Remnant eventually ended up on the PC. That game is an example of extremes: people either love it or hate it. It was like Yggdra Union on steroids, so I enjoyed it.

Honestly, if not for Tales of Vesperia, I wouldn't have ever bothered with the system. Magna Carta II was fantastic, so in the end I'm glad I got one but still...so much disappointment for us niche gamers.

Spectral Force 3 was a shit show. Infinite Undiscovery was lame. I was so upset with tri-Ace for making that. Lost Odyssey was redeeming. Sort of. N3 was like diet Dynasty Warriors. For fans of more western style RPGs, I'm not sure how they felt about the console but the ones that came from the land of the rising sun were either hit or miss.

I never bothered with Blue Dragon since I can't stand Toriyama's art style. As much as I adore Chrono Trigger, that art work...goodness. @_@

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 11:33:42 am »
Xbox 360 actually had quite a few RPG's if I remember correctly, several exclusives too.  Blue Dragon

This one angers me. I want this but I really dont want to try to get a 360 just for one game.

360s are insanely cheap nowadays though. I have one at a half price books near me for <100. If you wanted to pay shipping I could send it to ya? (I might also have one that I found on the side of the road with 0 cables and looks beat up but it works that I could send you just for the cost of shipping).

gf78

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 12:22:24 pm »
Last Remnant eventually ended up on the PC. That game is an example of extremes: people either love it or hate it. It was like Yggdra Union on steroids, so I enjoyed it.

Honestly, if not for Tales of Vesperia, I wouldn't have ever bothered with the system. Magna Carta II was fantastic, so in the end I'm glad I got one but still...so much disappointment for us niche gamers.

Spectral Force 3 was a shit show. Infinite Undiscovery was lame. I was so upset with tri-Ace for making that. Lost Odyssey was redeeming. Sort of. N3 was like diet Dynasty Warriors. For fans of more western style RPGs, I'm not sure how they felt about the console but the ones that came from the land of the rising sun were either hit or miss.

I never bothered with Blue Dragon since I can't stand Toriyama's art style. As much as I adore Chrono Trigger, that art work...goodness. @_@

Ok...LOL.  I was just listing the Xbox exclusive RPG's, not making any comment on their quality.  I actually agree with you that many were crap. 

More or less, I was throwing it out there that last generation, developers put most of their games on the PS3 and Xbox 360 and even threw Microsoft a bone quite often.  This gen, the Xbox brand is shunned.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

kashell

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 12:28:09 pm »

Ok...LOL.  I was just listing the Xbox exclusive RPG's, not making any comment on their quality.  I actually agree with you that many were crap.

I know. XD

Whenever RPGs come up, I just have to offer my two cents and let the world know what I think. Because everyone wants to know what I think.

>_>

*leaves*

More or less, I was throwing it out there that last generation, developers put most of their games on the PS3 and Xbox 360 and even threw Microsoft a bone quite often.  This gen, the Xbox brand is shunned.

*comes back*

Threw M$ an Xbone? *badum-TSSS*

gf78

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 12:30:06 pm »
LOL!   :P

maximo310

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 04:29:38 pm »

It probably doesn't help that the Xbox One is doing horribly in Japan, so many developers there aren't interested in making games, since they usually only get a pretty small fraction of sales compared to if they released on PS4/ Steam ( some cases). Even the developers that put exclusives on 360, such as CAVE and Moss can't garner a niche enough interest to develop for Microsoft consoles. I have a feeling that Raiden V, previously announced as a XB1 exclusive, will either go multiplat or release only on PS4/Steam.

gf78

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 11:09:54 am »
With all the games skipping the Xbox One entirely this generation, is it just me or does it seem the PS4 is whipping the Xbox One like a redheaded step-child? 

Last generation, everyone said exclusives were done & over with unless it was made by either Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft and the occasional paid exclusive.  But we are seeing the Wii U and Xbox One receive fewer and fewer games and the PS4 is getting everything.  It's like the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox days all over again.

gf78

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 11:11:43 am »

So you don't like the art in Dragon Quest?  That makes me sad.   :(

kashell

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 04:43:57 pm »
Handsome men like you should never be sad.

But yeah, I'm not a fan of Toriyama's style. Chrono Trigger is an exception since the game is fantastic and since all you see from his is a character portrait in the menu. That was all changed in the PSX/DS version, but it's Chrono Trigger so I can forgive just about anything. ^^()

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2015, 05:33:07 pm »

Seems like it's a pretty big departure from the last games, focusing on crazy melee weapons and they seem to be changing the gameplay to a more tradtional RPG style.  Not sure if I like that or not as the alt-WW2 type setting with it's tactical strategy gameplay is what kinda made the game standout.  I'm still interested, but I'm kinda surprised they wanted to change so much of it.

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 04:06:10 pm »
I thought we already knew it was coming as it was pretty obvious lol I assume this is mostly just the cleaned up PC version as everything I've seen on it shows very little improvement from that one, so I'll pass.  Though that steel case is kinda nice.

kashell

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 09:36:32 am »
I'm currently playing Valkyria Chronicles 3 now and getting more and more excited about the chance to re-visit the first game on the PS4. That will be a day one purchase, for sure.