Author Topic: Fallout 4 is Bargain Bin Fodder  (Read 2409 times)

Fallout 4 is Bargain Bin Fodder
« on: November 19, 2015, 03:57:19 pm »
Here's the long version:

http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2015/11/19/fallout-4-bargain-bin/

Basically, even must have titles are incomplete (in more than one way) nowadays.  Anyone feel this way about modern games?

Re: Fallout 4 is Bargain Bin Fodder
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 09:57:12 pm »
I agree about the state of quality with AAA games, but I disagree with the rest.  VATS was never very good and just ended up being mostly headshot spam.  It's a lot better now in Fallout 4.  I also find the Fallout games have plenty of content.  I certainly don't feel like the game is lacking in content and when the DLC releases down the road, it'll just benefit the game more.  Whether you want to wait for the Ultimate Edition is up to you, but it doesn't mean it's the only time to get it.

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:07:11 pm »
Games are usually going to drop in price over time, but dlc add ons and ultimate editions can still be good depending on the company. It ultimately comes down to your decision to buy it now, or wait until later, but I'd say that Betheda games have a ton of content even in their vanillia versions, and their dlc expansions are generally good as well.

rayne315

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 11:12:39 am »
Fallout 4 Incomplete? no sure there are a few bugs but it has literally 100+ hours of gameplay to it, a large expansive world filled with more content in a small area than most games in total. of what I have seen very few major bugs.

only ones I have seen are frame rate drop caused by dropping your entire inventory one at a time onto the ground (too many sprites), frame rate drop caused by carrying around too many items (my total weight was over 5000 lbs), and one game crash that was caused by myself literally trying to break the game in fun ways (trying to glitch though the map to see what happens when you enter a place that requires a loading screen). other than that the only annoying glitches I have seen are npc's stopping dialect when touched by something (fix: re-talk to them), being able to see the outline of cars submerged in water without being in the water, and (someone may call it a bug but I do not) bad companion AI, namely dog meat, that is unpushable and can wedge himself into a narrow corridor so you cannot pass (fix: talk to them and command him to go somewhere and they will move).
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 11:40:10 am »
I've seen a couple of these "click-bait" articles about Fallout 4 popping up. 

Some gripe about the graphics engine being old, yet praise games like Shovel Knight and Terraria that are intentionally made to look 8-bit. 

Some gripe about the amount of content in the game.  For the love of Pete...Fallout 4 is a enormous game that you can literally spend a hundred hours in and not have found everything! 

Some gripe about the bugs and glitches.  Yes, Bethesda games are known to have bugs.  It all boils down to the sheer scale of the game and that every possible combination of what the millions of gamers do while playing cannot possibly be accounted for in the Q&A before release.  They patch what's wrong. 

And season passes?  Normally I am loathe to get season passes and I've stated my dislike for DLC many times over.  However, Bethesda games always receive these absolutely huge expansions.  Fallout 3 had five large expansions.  New Vegas had at least four.  $29 for the Fallout 4 season pass is a no-brainer because honestly, I don't see Bethesda changing gears from how they have treated DLC in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls titles that have come before. 

Like I said, click-bait articles.  I wish these trash sites trying to get hits would just fade away. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 12:56:04 pm »
Yeah, it's not much of an article and seems better suited for a forum post somewhere. I've seen a few other folks play Fallout 4, and I haven't seen/heard anything about frequent game crashes. I've sat next to my bf while he played it for hours, and he loves the game and doesn't want to stop playing it. I think that, in itself, is the true test of a game's worth, for an individual gamer.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 01:32:57 pm »
I've logged over 60 hours on the xbox one, it has crashed twice.  I have no issues with that.

hexen

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 02:09:25 pm »
I could write a long, long response to what is wrong with your article, but anyone who reads it already knows, so I see no point. Basically, you are just wrong, and though I don't usually like to insult people on opinions, stupid. It's either stupidity or knowing click-bait. Take your pick, OP.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 10:34:33 pm »
Some gripe about the graphics engine being old, yet praise games like Shovel Knight and Terraria that are intentionally made to look 8-bit.

Well there's a big difference between poor 3D graphics and choosing an 8-bit art style.  Bad 3D graphics are because they didn't try hard enough.  Not that I'm saying this about Fallout 4, I think the game looks good, it just has some poor animations and textures which is likely them rushing some things.  It's almost never a style choice in AAA gaming to have blurry textures randomly throughout the game lol

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 05:11:13 pm »
I don't get the hype for Fallout or The Elder Scrolls series. They both seems really overrated and people attack you if you ever criticize them.

Rockstar is a way better developer/publisher than Bethesda.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 06:33:19 pm »
I don't get the hype for Fallout or The Elder Scrolls series. They both seems really overrated and people attack you if you ever criticize them.

Rockstar makes more stable games, but you can't compare the games at all, they are completely different.  I'd personally take Fallout or Skyrim over GTA, because they appeal to me more.

gf78

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 10:30:35 am »

Aside from your preference of Rockstar over Bethesda, I agree with you.  It's hilarious how people hold certain games and/or developers on a pedestal and any criticism starts a flame war.  I personally don't get the love for Valve.  I think their games are mediocre at best and the graphics engine?  Don't get me started on Bethesda's engine when the stuff Valve puts out could run on a PS2 or Gamecube. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 04:15:29 pm »
You'd actually find very few that back up Bethesda in such a way.  Everyone knows how buggy their games are.  I can't exactly justify it, but I still love Fallout and Skyrim despite the faults.  Same could be said for the STALKER series.  A very buggy batch of games mostly due to its engine, but I'll be damned if I didn't put tons of hours into those games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 04:30:52 pm »
When their game-worlds are arguably the biggest game-worlds out there, a few bugs here and there are forgivable, for sure.

gf78

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 09:56:33 am »
When their game-worlds are arguably the biggest game-worlds out there, a few bugs here and there are forgivable, for sure.

I've played many, many hours of Bethesda games.  With the exception of a couple of game-ending glitches in Fallout 3, it has been pretty smooth sailing for me.  Of course, there are the little things like clipping, dropped frame rates and the like, but with worlds of this size and scope, bugs are going to occur.  It's impossible to test for every single little thing that every player might do to see if it causes an issue.  In a linear game, it's easy as gamers have one path and one way to play.