Author Topic: Wii U External HDD Recommendations?  (Read 1528 times)

Wii U External HDD Recommendations?
« on: December 09, 2015, 06:24:22 pm »
With the Xenoblade Chronicles X quicker loading packs, I'm basically up against the wall for my system and with future DLC on the horizon from Smash and Hyrule Warriors, I'm gonna need more room.  Anyone picked up a relatively cheap, but good external HDD or whatever might work best for expanding save space on the system? I don't buy much digitally on the system, so I don't really need a huge expansion.

Re: Wii U External HDD Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 06:36:43 pm »
I picked up a stack of 1tb hdd on clearance at target for 25 a piece.  They work fantastic for me.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 06:46:44 pm »
if you don't need a lot of space just use a USB Thumb drive. yes that does work I think 32GB might be the max on that option though. otherwise really any External Hard Drive will do 1TB externals a fairly Cheap now basically any name brand will do

hears one on Newegg that seems to have a promotional code with it to getr it cheaper
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178744&cm_re=external_hard_drive-_-22-178-744-_-Product

the only thing to remember is that Nintendo Recommends you get a cable like this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1K1OIA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
in a nutshell that cable seperates the Power and Data transfer making it easier on low power USB's

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 06:51:27 pm »
Awesome, thanks for that.

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 12:54:38 am »
I use an old 120 GB hard drive with a Y cable. It works pretty well, and there's no way I'd be able to play without it since I only have an 8 GB system. That Xenoblade Chronicles X update pack took all night to complete but it does make the game run rather well. I don't recommend getting a TB because… well, it's sort of a waste. You'll never fill that up, especially if you enjoy physical copies of games.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 01:44:51 am »
I use an old 120 GB hard drive with a Y cable. It works pretty well, and there's no way I'd be able to play without it since I only have an 8 GB system. That Xenoblade Chronicles X update pack took all night to complete but it does make the game run rather well. I don't recommend getting a TB because… well, it's sort of a waste. You'll never fill that up, especially if you enjoy physical copies of games.

Oh I know, I don't plan to get anything bigger than 500gb max.  I actually buy a lot of games digitally, but that is mostly on PC.  For consoles, I mostly only get physical games.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 09:56:00 am »

Oh I know, I don't plan to get anything bigger than 500gb max.  I actually buy a lot of games digitally, but that is mostly on PC.  For consoles, I mostly only get physical games.
I buy physical unless it isn't available but I've still bought a ton of content for my Wii U. I only have about 80 gb left of the original drive. Sometimes I wish I had digital for a few games that I play a lot so I don't have to go around switching discs but pickers can't be choosers.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 01:08:58 pm »
1TB is fantastic for Microsoft and Sony because they throw free games at you like crazy.

Nintendo however... yeah, probs don't need more than 250GB, less if you never purchase digital retail games.  I got a few digital copies of retail games when Club nintendo was closing shop, so I made good use of my external.

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 03:56:17 pm »
I use this 1 TB hard drive with this cable.  I haven't had any issues for the year-plus I've been using it and still not even close to filling it up with everything installed.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 07:59:54 am »
I've been using a cheap little 8GB flash drive. lol
No problems yet!