Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 69963 times)

shfan

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #390 on: October 10, 2016, 03:19:08 pm »
Sweet, sounds like my next PS4 RPG when the current crop are whittled down a bit, I do like the Atelier series (particularly Escha & Logy and Atelier Iris 2) but Ayesha violently disagreed with me. I'll look forward to your review :)

kashell

« Reply #391 on: October 10, 2016, 03:42:51 pm »
Thanks! I'll be sure to post on here when it's finished.

I don't want to detract this topic, but what was it about Ayesha that you didn't like? I ask because I usually see people prefer it to Escha/Logy. This is the first time I've seen it the other way around.

« Reply #392 on: October 15, 2016, 08:34:43 pm »
12 to go!

40. Dementium: The Ward (DS): I was pretty excited about this game when I found it; a first person survival horror game on the DS, sign me up! What this game ended up being was a boring, repetitive corridor shooter with the same enemies, cheap bosses and broken gameplay. There is no narrative either, making you wonder who you are and why you are even in this haunted ward. Avoid this game.

shfan

« Reply #393 on: October 16, 2016, 06:11:51 am »
Thanks! I'll be sure to post on here when it's finished.

I don't want to detract this topic, but what was it about Ayesha that you didn't like? I ask because I usually see people prefer it to Escha/Logy. This is the first time I've seen it the other way around.

Sorry for the long delay Kashell. With Ayesha there are 2 killers for me, the first is the limited time limit to beat the game, the second is the characters.

My main memory of Ayesha is loading and loading saved games, running around the map trying to activate events in order to beat the story, having put hours into it and trying to avoid unnecessary battles and trying to play the game according to this huge overriding "thou shall!", it was really limiting. After all that I admitted defeat, got to the end, thinking it can't be that bad. "Now do that again", it said, nope, I said.

The other thing is the characters, they just totally didn't amount to anything for me. The Atelier series hardly has deep characters, but these didn't seem to have anything about them at all. Escha's not much more than "I like cake!", but Logy's got a bit more about him and their interactions do raise them higher than Ayesha, for me.

kashell

« Reply #394 on: October 17, 2016, 08:58:19 am »
In between Fatal Frame III, I decided to step outside of my comfort zone and start The Getaway. It's...ok. The controls are really stiff, but I'm sticking with it so I can hopefully knock out Charlie's teeth.

12 to go!

40. Dementium: The Ward (DS): I was pretty excited about this game when I found it; a first person survival horror game on the DS, sign me up! What this game ended up being was a boring, repetitive corridor shooter with the same enemies, cheap bosses and broken gameplay. There is no narrative either, making you wonder who you are and why you are even in this haunted ward. Avoid this game.

Agreed. That game is terrible. So, so terrible. The developers should be ashamed of it.

Sorry for the long delay Kashell. With Ayesha there are 2 killers for me, the first is the limited time limit to beat the game, the second is the characters.

My main memory of Ayesha is loading and loading saved games, running around the map trying to activate events in order to beat the story, having put hours into it and trying to avoid unnecessary battles and trying to play the game according to this huge overriding "thou shall!", it was really limiting. After all that I admitted defeat, got to the end, thinking it can't be that bad. "Now do that again", it said, nope, I said.

The other thing is the characters, they just totally didn't amount to anything for me. The Atelier series hardly has deep characters, but these didn't seem to have anything about them at all. Escha's not much more than "I like cake!", but Logy's got a bit more about him and their interactions do raise them higher than Ayesha, for me.

That's interesting because those criticisms usually seem to be reserved for Escha & Logy. Personally, I never had an issue with Ayesha's time limit, but I know that it's a deal breaker with a lot of folks. I always had more than enough time, but I was following a guide. As for the characters, I always enjoyed the characters but that might be because I did all of their events. In every game, it's a requirement to do all of the character events in order to get the platinum trophy.

Either way, you'll be glad to know that Logy is in Atelier Sophie. He's not a playable character, but it's cool to see him again.

« Reply #395 on: October 17, 2016, 09:09:32 am »
Finally got through all of that Daniella stuff in Haunting Ground, that bitch be crazy.

Decided to finally play Killer 7.  That game is almost as crazy as Daniella.

kashell

« Reply #396 on: October 17, 2016, 09:25:33 am »
Finally got through all of that Daniella stuff in Haunting Ground, that bitch be crazy.

Yeah, it's crazy. Crazy BAD!

SLAM!

>_>

*quietly leaves*

« Reply #397 on: October 17, 2016, 09:32:13 am »

Yeah, it's crazy. Crazy BAD!

SLAM!

>_>

*quietly leaves*
It is though.  I'm still on the first level.  I can only play for like 5 minutes at a time.  I'm hoping it's just this first level is really painful.  I think the controls could work for a light gun controller or PS Move, but a GCN controller is just kind of painful with this.

kashell

« Reply #398 on: October 17, 2016, 09:33:44 am »
Unlike that awful campaign on YouTube, it doesn't get better. After a certain point, I got fed up. I feel like Killer 7 is a great movie trapped in a terrible game.

kashell

« Reply #399 on: October 18, 2016, 10:03:44 am »
I guess I finished Dance Dance Revolution Supernova. I saw the credits and unlocked a bunch of stuff so...yay?

« Reply #400 on: October 18, 2016, 04:52:40 pm »
Forgot to put these up, helps me keep track of what I got going on.  Gonna try and finish Shadow Warrior 2 and Akiba's Trip this week before Battlefield 1 releases on Friday.  Then I got the Dark Souls 3 DLC next week and possibly Dragonball Xenoverse 2, not sure about that one at the moment.  Then I got a nice break on game releases till Final Fantasy XV at the end of November I believe.  Gives me some time to catch up on backlog.

35 - Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS4) - PLAYING

36 - Dragon Quest Builders (PS4) - PLAYING

*EDIT*
37 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC) - 17 Hours FINISHED
- Somewhat of a mixed bag with this one.  It's not bad, I think gameplay wise it's a lot better, more refined than the first game, easier to perform all the abilities and movement is way better.  I like how many weapons there are, the implementation of co-op seems good (I didn't play it), and I'm kinda into the Borderlands-esque upgrade system (Around 50 guns with different stats, but then you can upgrade them with whatever extra abilities).  The problem with the game is that because they went with procedural levels, you start to get bored with what you are seeing.  That, combined with the re-used character models, and some other issues dealing with quality, you can see why this is a $40 game, because they wanted to add new stuff to the game, but also needed to keep it at a certain budget.  It works, but the game is kinda sloppy technically, just like the first game was.  If you liked the first, you'll probably enjoy this one.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:52:38 pm by kamikazekeeg »

kashell

« Reply #401 on: October 20, 2016, 09:21:54 pm »
Finally got some new reviews posted. Atelier Sophie and DDR Supernova.

kashell

« Reply #402 on: October 22, 2016, 11:45:37 am »
Fatal Frame III: The Tormented has been finished. Great game (probably my favorite in the series) but not without it's issues.

« Reply #403 on: October 22, 2016, 04:37:35 pm »
38 - Battlefield 1 (PC) - PLAYING

Also grabbed the Dark Souls 3 DLC, so I might count that.  I counted the Dying Light expansion since it was so large and I believe these Souls DLC's are pretty large themselves.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 04:39:15 pm by kamikazekeeg »

kashell

« Reply #404 on: October 23, 2016, 10:02:18 am »
This has been a productive weekend. I finished Azure Striker Gunvolt. I'm looking forward to reviewing this one!