Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 69657 times)

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #420 on: November 22, 2016, 01:27:40 pm »
I've been meaning to post an update.

I've been fairly unproductive in terms of beating games the last 4 or 5 months, but I'm sitting at 99 games beat.  Working on game 100 right now and I expect to beat at least 4 more easily before the end of the year.  So I should have no trouble meeting my initial goal of 104 games this year.

« Reply #421 on: November 22, 2016, 04:18:33 pm »
I'm definitely not making 52 games beat.  I might be able to squeeze out 52 played perhaps, but I don't have a lot more new stuff coming and not a lot of backlog I want to go do in particular.  I got Final Fantasy XV, Dead Rising 4, and maybe Last Guardian as I'm not sure if I'm grabbing that right away or not.  That would put me to 43 and there's maybe a few random titles I have I might check out that I've gotten on PS+ or the one or two I have in my Steam library that I actually want to play that could me up to 52.

kashell

« Reply #422 on: November 22, 2016, 04:42:51 pm »
Updated my list with Quest 64. I think the folks in charge at GameFAQs are on vacation since none of my reviews are getting posted.

EDIT: And I updated it again with Gravity Rush.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:07:16 am by kashell »

« Reply #423 on: November 28, 2016, 08:34:03 am »
Finished Uncharted 4... and with that... I've beat 100 games this year.

kashell

« Reply #424 on: November 28, 2016, 08:35:48 am »

100! That's awesome. Congrats on that.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #425 on: November 28, 2016, 11:56:06 am »

Holy cow!

Way to go!

I'm not going to make it to 52 games played this year. But I did finish many of the games I played.

I'll probably top out at 40.

« Reply #426 on: November 28, 2016, 12:04:28 pm »
I'm planning on beating a few more, but I'm hoping to hit 110 at least.

« Reply #427 on: November 28, 2016, 12:07:06 pm »
That is really impressive. I'm pretty sure that I will reach 52 this year, maybe 1 or 2 over, but yeah, it's going to be down to the wire.

« Reply #428 on: November 28, 2016, 03:39:54 pm »
41 - Doom (PC) - 3 Hours PLAYING - The game finally dropped down to 20 bucks on Steam, so I grabbed that as I had been wanting to play the singleplayer more after dabbling with it on console.  It's your standard shooter, nothing super fancy or special, but it's fine.  It's dumb fun.

« Reply #429 on: November 28, 2016, 06:16:59 pm »
41 - Doom (PC) - 3 Hours PLAYING - The game finally dropped down to 20 bucks on Steam, so I grabbed that as I had been wanting to play the singleplayer more after dabbling with it on console.  It's your standard shooter, nothing super fancy or special, but it's fine.  It's dumb fun.

This game felt anything but standard to me. In fact it is the best FPS I've played in years by far. It was so frantic, chaotic, and smooth, almost as if a really good SHMUP some how became a FPS. Everyone is obviously going to feel different about each game, but this game was completely exceptional in my opinion.

« Reply #430 on: November 28, 2016, 07:52:28 pm »

This game felt anything but standard to me. In fact it is the best FPS I've played in years by far. It was so frantic, chaotic, and smooth, almost as if a really good SHMUP some how became a FPS. Everyone is obviously going to feel different about each game, but this game was completely exceptional in my opinion.

It just doesn't do anything new to me.  I understand what it was trying to be, an old school game with modern sensibilities, but I already got that with Shadow Warrior and Wolfenstein, twice! It's got your standard gear and weapon upgrades, your standard grab a colored key to progress, collectibles, and multiplayer I'll never play.  It's damn polished and fun, and I love the heavy, grinding, industrial, metal that kicks in during fights, and the hyper-violence is always nuts, but otherwise it's just a pretty regular mindless shooter.  That's what Doom is though, so I can't really fault it for that.

*EDIT*
And just to add, I've never been a huge Doom fan.  Never really liked the old games and I didn't have any real issues with Doom 3.  It's not normally my kind of shooter, which is why I think the new Wolfenstein is a way better game.  It has what is familiar to the older style, but it's very much a modern game, offering stealth action as an option or you can just go balls out along with an entertaining story and setting.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:37:35 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #431 on: November 29, 2016, 06:36:41 pm »
42 - Final Fantasy XV (PS4) - PLAYING - Still only a couple hours in and mostly just doing side stuff, but I'm liking it.  Enough side stuff to keep one busy, earn money and gear, and get you exploring areas.  Open world, open questing, that's the kind of game I like.  There's also enough depth and interesting features that are really drawing me in and I haven't even really started the story.  I love that there looks like there will be a good bit of customization to everything as you can change our bro's outfits and fully customization the Regalia with colors and other things you can purchase or find.

telly

« Reply #432 on: December 02, 2016, 10:48:27 am »
Game 30 - Conker's Bad Fur Day (Xbox One) - 24 Hours

This game was excellent, and in my opinion fully deserving of all the hype it gets.

+ The game has a lot of style and humor, and is pretty funny in a lot of places. I loved the settings too: it reminded me a lot of Toy Story 2 in the gameplay style and music. The characters were all memorable and funny, and even the ending stuck with me in a really profound manner. It was just a really great experience from start to finish.

- I had some issues with controlling Conker, and would often fall of platforms and the like. It's better with the Xbox One controller, I imagine it would be hell with an N64 controller. The multiplayer stuff kind of sucks too. That's about all I can think of.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:50:36 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #433 on: December 02, 2016, 01:09:39 pm »
I updated my page with reviews that finally got posted.

« Reply #434 on: December 03, 2016, 01:11:42 am »
After playing and reviewing Gigawing on the Dreamcast, I saw a lot of people online praising it heavily, enough to where I second guessed myself and thought that maybe there was something I overlooked or missed.

I replayed the game tonight. While I did not utilize the reflect shield mechanic as much as I should have the first time around, it did little to improve my overall opinion of this game or how enjoyable, or rather the lack thereof, it is. Really sad because I can't understand why others praise this one so much.