Author Topic: Listing Errors 2016  (Read 52161 times)

telly

Re: Listing Errors 2016
« Reply #255 on: June 09, 2016, 01:04:33 pm »
Well, the unfortunate thing about that is that even with likely possibility, games still get cancelled or aren't released. Like Silent Hills, Shovel Knight on Xbox One, etc. I think it does merit a lot of caution, you can never be sure :)

I know some do like to make entries for games that aren't out yet. I personally stay away from it.

EDIT: But I'm also on the side that says it shouldn't be changed platforms, it should just be deleted if it doesn't come out.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:59:16 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

karyann

« Reply #256 on: June 11, 2016, 10:13:27 pm »
I would have changed it or asked for it to be deleted if there was an absolute no to the physical copy thing as I meticulously add/edit/remove items from my wishlist to keep track of what I plan to buy and to make sure everything on my list has correct data. This doesn't sound like a strong no to me: “Playtonic took the decision not to include this in the Kickstarter for the very reason that it could impact on development and at the time of their Kickstarter it would have been a big risk. Team17 has lots of experience in physical and will share ideas and opportunities with Playtonic - so absolutely we will be looking into it.”

Now, I have to accept that my created page has been pretty much hijacked for a different platform and recreate an entirely new page for a physical copy? I also created/edited that PS4 Yooka-Laylee boxart image myself as a place holder and no longer have it on my computer. Would there even be a way to transfer the same boxart to the physical copy listing? Not cool.  :-\

The articles are based on some speculating and comment(s) from the publisher. I think that alone holds enough weight to warrant a page as an unreleased possibility just as people created pages for games that are rumored to be coming out and only have a possible ESRB rating created for it and no other information but that, and if that isn't how the "Unreleased but official" thing works than I've taken some liberties to keep track of things. At least that's what I've done a few times to keep track of games I'm interested in and it's been accepted. I did it with Batman: Return to Arkham (PS4) and that was announced just days after my entry, but someone created a new page with the correct name and mine was deleted before I could get on and edit the entry. I don't typically create pages unless I have a decent amount of sources that show it to be a likely possibility.

I'm sorry about the loss of your file, but keeping files is also something very useful in general (that most of us learn the hard way after losing tons of files...). If that can be of any comfort, if the game does come out, it will have a proper rating image that would have replaced it anyway.

Speculations aren't a strong basis, and I don't personally agree with the creation of rumoured entries either. But the liberty to create them is also part of what makes VGCollect a nice place. Which is also why I said if you care for it, go ahead, but please don't forget to ask for a deletion if the listing doesn't come out, as it would be potentially confusing for anyone browsing the database and stumbling upon it. My ultimate goal is always an accurate database, and a great source of information for any type of collector. :)

As for the platform change, please keep in mind that people create entries in the wrong category fairly often, on platforms for which a game doesn't even exist, for example.

tripredacus

« Reply #257 on: June 12, 2016, 10:15:18 am »
It may make more sense to only allow items to be added to physical categories once you can pre-order the game, or a release date for that physical copy has been announced.

desocietas

« Reply #258 on: June 12, 2016, 01:29:40 pm »
It may make more sense to only allow items to be added to physical categories once you can pre-order the game, or a release date for that physical copy has been announced.

I agree. I like to put up an item early if I can, but I usually wait until there's some sort of proper cover art (we shouldn't have user created boxart on this site anyway, imo) from the publisher, a general release date, or a general official announcement from the publishers themselves. Putting up items based on speculation will cause issues. We had Persona 5 entries from 2013, for instance, and the title used for those entries ended up being wrong.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #259 on: June 16, 2016, 01:23:46 pm »
Wrong picture. Should be a EU one

http://vgcollect.com/item/86904

tripredacus

« Reply #260 on: June 16, 2016, 06:45:31 pm »

telly

« Reply #261 on: June 17, 2016, 09:01:47 am »
http://vgcollect.com/item/40760

Submitted an edit to move this to the PSP PSN (JP) category
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:47:24 am by telly »
Currently Playing:

tripredacus

« Reply #262 on: June 17, 2016, 10:17:19 am »

Submitted an edit to move this to the PSP PSN (JP) categorty

It was moved. You don't have to post to this thread unless it is some sort of error that can't be corrected except by an admin. Or if there is some discussion as to why it should be changed, etc.

telly

« Reply #263 on: June 17, 2016, 10:47:17 am »

It was moved. You don't have to post to this thread unless it is some sort of error that can't be corrected except by an admin. Or if there is some discussion as to why it should be changed, etc.

Acknowledged! I usually post something for category changes since it's a more drastic edit than an image or title change, and I figured the admins would want a heads up.
Currently Playing:

tripredacus

« Reply #264 on: June 17, 2016, 12:05:51 pm »

Acknowledged! I usually post something for category changes since it's a more drastic edit than an image or title change, and I figured the admins would want a heads up.

Ok I guess it doesn't hurt.  :D

telly

« Reply #265 on: June 19, 2016, 10:14:11 pm »
There were a couple games entered into the database in what appears to be Hebrew

http://vgcollect.com/item/106662
http://vgcollect.com/item/106663

Any idea what we should do with them?
Currently Playing:

tripredacus

« Reply #266 on: June 20, 2016, 10:53:16 am »
There were a couple games entered into the database in what appears to be Hebrew

http://vgcollect.com/item/106662
http://vgcollect.com/item/106663

Any idea what we should do with them?

I fixed 106663, but I can't verify what 106662 is. I can only find flash games. For 106662, I have PM the creator, if no response, it will be changed to the title in English via Machine translation (Penguin War) in a week.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:55:42 am by tripredacus »

« Reply #267 on: June 20, 2016, 10:44:05 pm »
I added a listing for Dragon Age: Origins: Awakening for XBox 360 Live to the site a while back.

According to the style guide, both subtitles and names of expansions go after a colon, which is exactly how I originally formatted it (seen above). There's an exact example of this in the style guide: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising.

However, while searching the database, I noticed ALL the other versions had the title formatted differently, as Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening. With a hyphen instead of another colon.

Examples:

So I renamed mine to be consistent with all the others, and the change was rejected. Not only that, but my original format was then altered by mastafafik to another format - Dragon Age Origins: Awakening - a format that is both incorrect according to the style guide, and inconsistent with all the other listings I was trying to match. So now it no longer matches the style guide recommended format (as my original title did), and it doesn't match all the other Dragon Age: Origins: Awakening listings either...

So, how should Dragon Age: Origins: Awakening by formatted? It seems that the mods cannot agree to follow the style guide here. And it would appear most of the current listings are all incorrectly titled in the database.

I should note that Dragon Age: Origins is an example given in the style guide as well, so removing the colon before "Origins" in my listing makes even less sense.

tripredacus

« Reply #268 on: June 21, 2016, 10:45:29 am »

Examples:

Name formatting has been changed on all those to Dragon Age: Origins: Awakening. There are numerous other examples of names not being formatted properly. Thanks for pointing it out.

telly

« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2016, 11:22:59 pm »
Please reject my edit to change the name of Metal Gear Acid (PSP) [JP] to Ac!d. The actual release uses Acid, and the ! is stylizing the title.

There was also an Idolm@aster game that I might have submitted the wrong edits for (there are so many of them on the PSP with very similar looking releases). Just a heads up for whoever looks at my edits for those titles. I will fix what is needed.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:25:01 pm by telly »
Currently Playing: