Author Topic: The Confusing World of Editing  (Read 1233 times)

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

The Confusing World of Editing
« on: January 09, 2016, 08:33:33 pm »
Recently, as I add entries to my collection, I've been getting rejections of some title (Name) changes. I don't understand the reasons for these rejections because I always use the generally accepted (world-wide consensus) representations of those titles. Furthermore, since I can't identify the person doing the rejection, I can't query them directly. As an example, yesterday I changed the PSP UMD movie title "Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal" to "Dark Crystal, The" which is the universally accepted way of listing by all reputable movie databases, retailers, reviewers, etc. In addition and in all honesty, how many people are going to enter the name "Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal" in a search as opposed to "Dark Crystal"? I thought one of our goals was to facilitate a system that uses common sense and reduces the possibility of duplicates. Need another example? The artwork for the movie UMD "Labyrinth" says "Jim Henson's Labyrinth", but I created it correctly as "Labyrinth". The reviewer hasn't gotten to that yet, and I'm holding my breath.

These unfounded rejections of some of my edits (10,000+ and many more to come) have just started occurring in the last week. My goal has always been to "smooth" out the data and make it more consistent while religiously following the Style Guide. Speaking of which, I've noticed that some long-time members don't adhere to or seem that familiar with this guide.

I'm writing this with the greatest respect for the Administrators, but darn it, now I'm really confused. Also, I'm never comfortable about writing, and I hope I don't have to do it that often. It makes me cringe and puts my stomach in knots. However, I do plan on drafting some proposals in the future, but only when I've completed entering my collection. It's taking a lot more time than I thought because I'm a stickler for detail and accuracy.

Best Regards,
SilverBow

P.S. Please don't make me write again.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:13:25 am by SilverBow »

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Re: The Confusing World of Editing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 12:02:53 am »
Silverbow... looks like were neck & neck ;) ... nice collection man.

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping the site nice & neat... I too pride myself on proper edits... I ALWAYS add a picture to any game I submit to the database... even If i have to scan it myself.. I wish others would do the same.

great work! ;D

Flashback2012

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 01:42:40 am »

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping the site nice & neat... I too pride myself on proper edits... I ALWAYS add a picture to any game I submit to the database... even If i have to scan it myself.. I wish others would do the same.

great work! ;D

We should form a 4K Listed Items Club.  :D  ;)  :P

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 03:06:23 am »

great work! ;D

Kudos back to you! I've been using stock images if they're an exact match and making a list of others that I need. So, I just ordered a scanner today. I'm too old to have to keep learning how to use all this new-fangled stuff. Maybe I should have a badge for being the oldest member (born during WW II). I guess that's why I'm sometimes grumpy.  ;)

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 02:48:05 pm »
I always prefer the complete title. Not the ones, that are supposedly closer to 'common sense'.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 03:24:07 pm »
Another example of this is games where Disney is (technically) in the title, such as Disney's Aladdin. There is no consensus to this yet or I don't see it in the style guide. I personally do not use that in my own organisation. When I come across something like that, if the existing title isn't inaccurate, I just leave it be. Its in the database so that's good enough for me.

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 05:15:07 pm »
Another example of this is games where Disney is (technically) in the title, such as Disney's Aladdin. There is no consensus to this yet or I don't see it in the style guide. I personally do not use that in my own organisation. When I come across something like that, if the existing title isn't inaccurate, I just leave it be. Its in the database so that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the feedback. As for "Disney's Aladdin", that is the universally accepted title with practically no ambiguity. However, I get your point about some of the other game titles prefixed with Disney, Disney's, Disney/Pixar (with that unsearchable "forward slash"), etc. Some are legitimate prefixes while others are not widely accepted representations. If there is a movie tie-in, then that's probably your best clue for the title. As I've said, one of my goals is to think about the best ways to prevent inadvertent duplicate entries. In other words, what would be the title that pops into most people's minds?

In my initial frustration, I was specifically talking about the PSP UMD movie title section that I was "cleaning" up. Movie titles only very rarely have ambiguous representations (for good reason), and the reviewers should be made aware of this. For years I've developed my own databases to keep track of the thousands of DVD's and other collections in my possession. So, you might say that I've given this a lot of thought for many, many years. So much so that it makes my head hurt.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 10:29:25 am »
Recently, as I add entries to my collection, I've been getting rejections of some title (Name) changes. I don't understand the reasons for these rejections because I always use the generally accepted (world-wide consensus) representations of those titles. Furthermore, since I can't identify the person doing the rejection, I can't query them directly. As an example, yesterday I changed the PSP UMD movie title "Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal" to "Dark Crystal, The" which is the universally accepted way of listing by all reputable movie databases, retailers, reviewers, etc. In addition and in all honesty, how many people are going to enter the name "Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal" in a search as opposed to "Dark Crystal"? I thought one of our goals was to facilitate a system that uses common sense and reduces the possibility of duplicates. Need another example? The artwork for the movie UMD "Labyrinth" says "Jim Henson's Labyrinth", but I created it correctly as "Labyrinth". The reviewer hasn't gotten to that yet, and I'm holding my breath.

These unfounded rejections of some of my edits (10,000+ and many more to come) have just started occurring in the last week. My goal has always been to "smooth" out the data and make it more consistent while religiously following the Style Guide. Speaking of which, I've noticed that some long-time members don't adhere to or seem that familiar with this guide.

I'm writing this with the greatest respect for the Administrators, but darn it, now I'm really confused. Also, I'm never comfortable about writing, and I hope I don't have to do it that often. It makes me cringe and puts my stomach in knots. However, I do plan on drafting some proposals in the future, but only when I've completed entering my collection. It's taking a lot more time than I thought because I'm a stickler for detail and accuracy.

Best Regards,
SilverBow

P.S. Please don't make me write again.  ;)

The reason why I rejected that edit ("Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal") is that you have used 'common sense' title "Dark Crystal" and not the full title "Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal" as it is written on the box. In our database we try to use full titles, and 'common sense' titles can be added as alternate name.
And if you want to find that exemplary movie, you don't have to type the full title - 'dark crystal' is enough to find it.

Peace 8)

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 10:42:26 am »
I believe, originally, the movie is only called The Dark Crystal. The "Jim Henson's" prefix was added on releases after he died. Good enough I suppose, since we aren't also tracking video releases on other formats like VHS. :)