Author Topic: Allow selecting "today" when adding game to collection  (Read 1615 times)

denpanosekai

Allow selecting "today" when adding game to collection
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:07:10 pm »
When adding a game to collection, users can select the Y/M/D of purchase.

It'd be nice to have a little link next to the inputs that preselects today's date.

(Can't I attach pictures to this forum? would be nice...)

aliensstudios

Re: Allow selecting "today" when adding game to collection
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:10:47 pm »
That's a great idea but are people really that lazy that they can't just pick out the date?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

rayne315

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 01:10:24 pm »
That's a great idea but are people really that lazy that they can't just pick out the date?

I like this idea! and its not about laziness its about speed and accuracy when adding in titles. their are more than a few people on here, myself included, that frequently have a dozen+ games to add at once and adding in a today button would not only allow for quicker usage of the purchased date but would also cut down on people "fat fingering" the date in.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

indenton

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:10:49 pm »
I dunno, maybe if it printed today's date by default rather than blank, then you could adjust accordingly if needed. 

There's laziness, and then there's efficiency.  Seeing as Danpanosekai is a new user having to add their whole collection by hand right now, that's the kind of attitude which will turn people away from the site.  Think about how we use and operate the site exactly. 

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:38:10 pm »
I dunno, maybe if it printed today's date by default rather than blank, then you could adjust accordingly if needed. 

There's laziness, and then there's efficiency.  Seeing as Danpanosekai is a new user having to add their whole collection by hand right now, that's the kind of attitude which will turn people away from the site.  Think about how we use and operate the site exactly.
I wasn't calling the OP lazy, nor is it my interest to have petty arguments with fellow vgcollectors. I even said it was a great idea in the post. You're right, it would be very efficient to have the function. Lately I've been adding a lot of artwork/box text/release dates etc. to items that previously existed on the site and it's very efficient and easy to use. I don't want to turn anyone off from the site, but I'm not going to pretend it's really quick and easy to add your large collection initially.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

soera

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 01:42:01 pm »
I agree with the post above as far as putting the days date as default. No matter when I buy an item, I never put it in my collection til the day it actually arrives and thats the day I consider it purchased.

retroone

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 05:43:04 pm »
I agree! This would be a great addition to the site.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 07:18:52 pm »
Anything to save a few clicks is good. I'm already down the path of carpal tunnel.

denpanosekai

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 07:21:02 pm »
I agree with the post above as far as putting the days date as default. No matter when I buy an item, I never put it in my collection til the day it actually arrives and thats the day I consider it purchased.

Then I better hurry and import my 800 game collection to VGCollect before you add this feature, because I don't want to have to unselect "today's date" for all of them. That would defeat the purpose to me ;)

Either way food for thought.

SilverBow

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 07:05:24 pm »
Other than being a retailer, what usefulness does this date serve? I may be missing the point, but off the top of my head, I can't think of one.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 12:28:39 am »
Some people like to record when they bought something.