Author Topic: Game Systems You Wanted But Couldnt Buy  (Read 4383 times)

Re: Game Systems You Wanted But Couldnt Buy
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 10:17:04 am »
A friend of mine growing up had a Sega Saturn and I envied him so much even though I had a N64 during that time. I think the console was like $400 or something back then so there was no way I could afford it or my parents would buy it. I did't end up getting one until abut 2004 when I purchased one from a used game store for about $30.

gf78

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 11:08:10 am »
I always wanted the JVC X'EYE when it launched in 1994. Unfortunately, with a price tag right at $500, I was unable to get one. I like the idea of having an all in one system that could play Genesis and SEGA CD games. To this day I still want one, mostly because I still lack a system to play SEGA CD games on (The RETRON 5 took care of the Genesis problem).

When this baby launched, it was cheaper to actually buy a Genesis and the SEGA CD add on than it was to buy the X'EYE  ::). Of course the added cost did come with some better features. Most notably was the fact that you could play your games with better video and sound (and of course you only needed one power source).

Now they are cheaper, but still kind of pricey so I STILL havent gotten around to owning an X'EYE  :-\

When I was a teenager, I actually was doing the "rent to own" thing at Rent-A-Center on a JVC X'EYE system.  It was super sweet.  It had everything built-in and looks pretty slick.  I remember it coming with an FMV Sega boxing game.  It was black & white and grainy as hell, but we all had rose-colored glasses on back them and were just amazed at actually video footage running in a game.  The first game I bought for it was Mortal Kombat.  My friend Ralph and I geeked the F out when we found the hidden Mortal Kombat song from the movie. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 11:18:05 am »
A friend of mine growing up had a Sega Saturn and I envied him so much even though I had a N64 during that time. I think the console was like $400 or something back then so there was no way I could afford it or my parents would buy it. I did't end up getting one until abut 2004 when I purchased one from a used game store for about $30.

Back around late '96, I had a good friend who was a die-hard Sega fanboy since the Genesis.  He bought every add-on they made.  He had gotten a bit hard up for money and kept trying to get me to buy his Saturn.  I finally caved and gave him $250 for it.  It had the box, the paperwork, an extra controller, the 3-pack of Daytona USA, Virtual Fighter 2 and Virtua Cop.  He also gave me Duke Nukem, Clockwork Knight, Nights into Dreams with the controller, Fighting Vipers and a few other games that escape memory right now.  It was pretty cool, but didn't compare to my PlayStation.  I kept it around for several years.  After it sat dormant for a couple more years, I traded it in at a game store.

I do remember that that stinking battery died and every time I turned the system on, I had to re-enter the time & date.   >:(
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 11:34:08 am »
I do remember that that stinking battery died and every time I turned the system on, I had to re-enter the time & date.   >:(
Quick easy cheap fix though. 

A buddy of mine, who is a member of this site, but I've never seen him on the forum, has been looking for the Pioneer LaserActive with the PAC modules for a long time.  That's like his dream goal.  He already has a minty CIB JVC X'Eye.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 11:44:32 am »
As a kid, was my own NES. My grandparents had one, and any time we went over we played it. Sure, we had atari 2600 and SNES, but who doesn't love duck hunt and bowling?

ATM, I was a 3ds xl and a 2600, sure, i have a 7800, but kinda miss having a classic woody.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

gf78

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 11:46:06 am »
As a kid, was my own NES. My grandparents had one, and any time we went over we played it. Sure, we had atari 2600 and SNES, but who doesn't love duck hunt and bowling?

ATM, I was a 3ds xl and a 2600, sure, i have a 7800, but kinda miss having a classic woody.

They make a little blue pill for that.   ;)

theflea

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 03:22:11 pm »
There's many systems on my most wanted list that allude me because of ether price or rarity.
But I've gotten other rare consoles so I'm crossing my fingers one day they will be mine.  ;)
I'm sure most of these you guys have never heard of. lol

But my top 5 are...

5. Select-A-Game Machine
Probably the easiest to find on this list, I see one appear on Ebay about once a month, but they can be over priced or missing the battery covers. I can see me getting this system in the next year.

4. Zemmix
A Koren game console that is basically a consoled MSX, in the last five years I've only seen two pop on Ebay in the last five years.

3. Supervision 8000
An extremely rare Japanese system that is similar to the Intellivision, I've seen this system once on Ebay in the last five years.

2. Adventurevision
This is one rare tabletop arcade I would love to get, biggest issue is maybe two appear on Ebay a year and most are priced $1000-$2000 on top of that this console has issues and several don't work.

1. RDI Halcyon
Probably the rarest console of all time. I've only seen one appear on ebay that had it's controller and all its parts and it sold for close to $10,000.  :o I've seen a few that was console only sell for far less and if I can at least get that I would be satisfied. Some collector's don't count this system as a retailed console because it's unknown if it truly was sold to the public. Many ended up in Dragon's Lair or Space Ace arcade cabinets and this is why that most that appear are console only. I've seen the games appear all the time on Ebay (all 2 of them) but rarely the system. 
"Happy game hunting!!!"

spac316

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 03:31:12 pm »
I always wished I had a Neo-Geo back then. But the price point at the time made it difficult, growing up in a middleclass family and all.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 03:44:55 pm »
There's many systems on my most wanted list that allude me because of ether price or rarity.
But I've gotten other rare consoles so I'm crossing my fingers one day they will be mine.  ;)
I'm sure most of these you guys have never heard of. lol

But my top 5 are...

5. Select-A-Game Machine
Probably the easiest to find on this list, I see one appear on Ebay about once a month, but they can be over priced or missing the battery covers. I can see me getting this system in the next year.

4. Zemmix
A Koren game console that is basically a consoled MSX, in the last five years I've only seen two pop on Ebay in the last five years.

3. Supervision 8000
An extremely rare Japanese system that is similar to the Intellivision, I've seen this system once on Ebay in the last five years.

2. Adventurevision
This is one rare tabletop arcade I would love to get, biggest issue is maybe two appear on Ebay a year and most are priced $1000-$2000 on top of that this console has issues and several don't work.

1. RDI Halcyon
Probably the rarest console of all time. I've only seen one appear on ebay that had it's controller and all its parts and it sold for close to $10,000.  :o I've seen a few that was console only sell for far less and if I can at least get that I would be satisfied. Some collector's don't count this system as a retailed console because it's unknown if it truly was sold to the public. Many ended up in Dragon's Lair or Space Ace arcade cabinets and this is why that most that appear are console only. I've seen the games appear all the time on Ebay (all 2 of them) but rarely the system.

Count me as one that has never heard of most of these. I have heard of the Adventurevision, but I've never actually seen one.

rancesama

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 03:07:54 pm »
I always wanted the JVC X'EYE when it launched in 1994. Unfortunately, with a price tag right at $500, I was unable to get one. I like the idea of having an all in one system that could play Genesis and SEGA CD games. To this day I still want one, mostly because I still lack a system to play SEGA CD games on (The RETRON 5 took care of the Genesis problem).

When this baby launched, it was cheaper to actually buy a Genesis and the SEGA CD add on than it was to buy the X'EYE  ::). Of course the added cost did come with some better features. Most notably was the fact that you could play your games with better video and sound (and of course you only needed one power source).

Now they are cheaper, but still kind of pricey so I STILL havent gotten around to owning an X'EYE  :-\
Ugh, yeah, the JVC X'EYE and the CDX, I'd love to find one of those, but of course, I have consoles that function the same.

I always forget about the CDX ... but yeah that's another one I would like to have!

When I was a teenager, I actually was doing the "rent to own" thing at Rent-A-Center on a JVC X'EYE system.  It was super sweet.  It had everything built-in and looks pretty slick.  I remember it coming with an FMV Sega boxing game.  It was black & white and grainy as hell, but we all had rose-colored glasses on back them and were just amazed at actually video footage running in a game.  The first game I bought for it was Mortal Kombat.  My friend Ralph and I geeked the F out when we found the hidden Mortal Kombat song from the movie. 

That's cool as hell man. If I had a X'EYE today I would still be geeking the F out over it  ;D

See news, reviews and more at Nintendo Frontier!

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 02:20:03 pm »
I wanted an N64 when I had a PlayStation. I was a big wrestling fan and at the time it had the best wrestling games by far. Also I'd been a SNES kid previous to moving to PS, and many of my favorite games had new installments on N64 such as Super Mario Kart. However I had a PlayStation and a GameBoy Color already; and my siblings weren't really into games so its understandable my parents wouldn't get me one.

The following generation; I wanted an Xbox for a spell; I really loved Halo and Fable having played them at a friend's. I got together the money to buy a second console (I already had a PS2 of course) but having considered everything I opted for a GameCube so as to rekindle my relationship with Nintendo; a decision I didn't regret.

davifus

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 02:56:13 pm »
Mother 3 Gameboy Micro back when it was like $100-$200 for CIB. Now, its like $600. I didnt have a job back then and was in school.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

maximo310

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 03:59:59 pm »
A Panasonic Q w/ region mod. Getting one of those now complete with everything+GB player is easily 600-700+; its one of those items thats really expensive and it doesn't help that it can easily get damaged in shipping due to all of the parts inside.

spac316

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 05:12:47 pm »
I always wanted a Neo-Geo, but we all know how expensive it was.  :-\

abe

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 05:14:50 pm »
Like the davifus and maximo, I also wish I bought a Panasonic Q and the Mother 3 Deluxe Box GB Micro, but I had no job or money for either at the time they were reasonably priced. Now I have a job and money, but not enough for the unreasonable prices they go for now.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)