Author Topic: Are Nintendo consoles more collected then others? if so why?  (Read 3908 times)

Are Nintendo consoles more collected then others? if so why?
« on: February 04, 2016, 12:11:59 pm »
It seems to me like Nintendo Consoles are the most collected consoles in the hobby. I understand that Sega and Atari has less of a fan base because they are out of the industry, but why are Sony and Microsoft less collected for hen say N64 and GameCube?

Re: Are Nintendo consoles more collected then others? if so why?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 12:36:57 pm »
There are more variations of N64 and Gamecube, also Nintendo has that nostalgia.  Microsoft isn't near nostalgia yet.  Sony is just now getting there, but PSX only really had 2 versions (not going to nit pick about variations of the OG model).

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 12:52:09 pm »
Well also you got to realize the GameCube were not as popular as the PlayStation 2 or Xbox so it's not as widely available as those 2 and I feel people are just now seeing how amazing the GameCube's library actually is and are starting to get those games. As for N64 kind of the same reason + people who grew up with it now having disposable income. Basically the same reason NES & SNES prices shot up.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 12:58:46 pm »
Well also you got to realize the GameCube were not as popular as the PlayStation 2 or Xbox so it's not as widely available as those 2 and I feel people are just now seeing how amazing the GameCube's library actually is and are starting to get those games. As for N64 kind of the same reason + people who grew up with it now having disposable income. Basically the same reason NES & SNES prices shot up.

Yep, I remember I didnt want the gamecube (as a youngin) back in the day, because.... You couldnt play DVDs!, yes, that was a factor back in the day, and that is why i had a ps2 haha

VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:07:36 pm »

Yep, I remember I didnt want the gamecube (as a youngin) back in the day, because.... You couldnt play DVDs!, yes, that was a factor back in the day, and that is why i had a ps2 haha

That was big back in the day. The Ps3's blue ray was useless though.

rayne315

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:17:27 pm »
I would say Nintendo is more collected because us 20-30year olds grew up with it and we are the ones with the newly acquired disposable income to spend on it. plus another thing to keep in mind is pretty much throughout the NES's lifetime Nintendo had something like 90% market share and much of that transferred over to the SNES. It wasn't until sony and Microsoft entered the race that much of that market share was lost, and also the fact that the generation that grew up on ps1 and the Xbox are not yet old enough to have the disposable income to really start collecting their nostalgia.

But without doubt in a few years we will see more and more collectors start buying up playstation and Xbox titles and systems increasing its value. so buy them now when they are cheap
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:19:48 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 01:42:41 pm »

What was useless about the PS3's Blu-Ray drive?  The system was cheaper than many stand-alone Blu-Ray players and the storage space allowed for games to fit on a single disc with uncompressed audio and video.  For an example of a game that benefited from the storage capacity of Blu-Ray, compare Final Fantasy XIII on PS3 and 360.  The 360 video was grainy as hell. 

Edit:  Ah...I see.  Xbox fanboy.   ::)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:44:50 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 01:47:03 pm »
For the NES and SNES specifically, it's simple: They were the biggest mainstream systems of their generations. So a whole lot of people have nostalgia for it, and they have the best game libraries of their respective generations.

gf78

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 01:54:16 pm »
It seems to me like Nintendo Consoles are the most collected consoles in the hobby. I understand that Sega and Atari has less of a fan base because they are out of the industry, but why are Sony and Microsoft less collected for hen say N64 and GameCube?

The N64 and Gamecube were ignored by a huge majority of gamers when they were the current consoles on the market.  Now people are looking back, seeing that there were some real gems on those consoles like the NES and SNES before them and are collecting for them.  The prices are ballooning more for N64 and Gamecube I believe because with lower installed bases, these games had lower print runs than NES and SNES titles. 

Nintendo consoles have huge nostalgia factor which contributes to their healthy aftermarket as well.  Sega stuff is just out of favor and doesn't have the same draw (see the Genesis vs SNES thread).  PlayStation has been picking up steam on the collector's market.  Remember that the original PlayStation was released at the same time as the N64.  Many PS1 RPG's and classics like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon have risen steadily in price.  Capcom titles are astronomically high priced.  Atlus RPG's are commanding insane prices these days as are Working Designs games.  PS2 games are beginning to creep up in price.

Xbox?  While I think the original Xbox had a nice little library of fantastic exclusives, the system couldn't compete with the PS2.  Most Xbox games are pretty cheap.  Xbox 360 is just a failbox with fewer exclusives and forgettable games.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 01:58:41 pm »

I liked the blue ray, part of the reason I bought it haha.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 02:01:32 pm »

The N64 and Gamecube were ignored by a huge majority of gamers when they were the current consoles on the market.  Now people are looking back, seeing that there were some real gems on those consoles like the NES and SNES before them and are collecting for them.  The prices are ballooning more for N64 and Gamecube I believe because with lower installed bases, these games had lower print runs than NES and SNES titles. 

Nintendo consoles have huge nostalgia factor which contributes to their healthy aftermarket as well.  Sega stuff is just out of favor and doesn't have the same draw (see the Genesis vs SNES thread).  PlayStation has been picking up steam on the collector's market.  Remember that the original PlayStation was released at the same time as the N64.  Many PS1 RPG's and classics like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon have risen steadily in price.  Capcom titles are astronomically high priced.  Atlus RPG's are commanding insane prices these days as are Working Designs games.  PS2 games are beginning to creep up in price.

Xbox?  While I think the original Xbox had a nice little library of fantastic exclusives, the system couldn't compete with the PS2.  Most Xbox games are pretty cheap.  Xbox 360 is just a failbox with fewer exclusives and forgettable games.
I actually bought up tons of PS2 and Xbox games for dirt cheap just because they might balloon down the line.  I doubt it, but if they do, I might sell my xbox collection at least.

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 02:29:57 pm »

What was useless about the PS3's Blu-Ray drive?  The system was cheaper than many stand-alone Blu-Ray players and the storage space allowed for games to fit on a single disc with uncompressed audio and video.  For an example of a game that benefited from the storage capacity of Blu-Ray, compare Final Fantasy XIII on PS3 and 360.  The 360 video was grainy as hell. 

Edit:  Ah...I see.  Xbox fanboy.   ::)

Nothing wrong with the PS3's blue-ray. It's about Blue-Rays in general, they haven't been nearly as popular as DVD's.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 02:33:10 pm »
Could it be it possibly be that the games aged better? 

Genesis had a huge install base.  A very small number of its games are collectible. 

Just a thought.   ;)

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 02:52:46 pm »
Too many folks typing "Blue-ray" uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 02:55:13 pm »
^ Is it really that surprising? It's the way it should be spelled, if you're using proper English, even if that's not the way it was branded.