Author Topic: What was your first horror game and did it scare you?  (Read 2292 times)

What was your first horror game and did it scare you?
« on: February 19, 2016, 09:09:18 am »
Mine was Silent Hill 2 and it freaked me out a bit, but not too much. Still an excellent game (and I definitely got emotionally invested in it more than it scared me).

Re: What was your first horror game and did it scare you?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 11:22:46 am »
The first *real* horror game I partook in was Fatal Frame 2. It scared the living bejesus out of me, for sure. About 5 of us were crammed into a friend's bedroom in college watching him play. He had his camera up and was slowly turning around and all of a sudden a ghost popped into the frame. One person ran out of the room, I leapt back into a wall, and pretty much everyone screamed like little girls. It was amazing.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:35:11 pm »
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest on NES. And it absolutely did not scare me. I grew up on 70s and 80s horror, the gorier the better. So this was nothing.

rayne315

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 02:41:18 pm »
My first Horror game was Resident evil 4 (If you can consider it horror) and no it didn't scare me. the only game I can think of that actually scared me (not just jump scares) was the P.T. demo.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

baseycillings

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 04:15:35 pm »
My first and favorite horror game is Resident Evil 2. I had such a hard time just getting past the gunshop as a child.
So, yes it scared the piss out of me.

I didn't the Silent Hill series until years later. I think if I had sooner, it probably would have scared me more.

kashell

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 04:23:58 pm »
The first time I got "jump scared" was probably during my first Licker encounter in Resident Evil 2. Regarding an actual creepy scare, I'm thinking it was at some point during Silent Hill 4.

telly

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 04:41:42 pm »
Silent Hill 2 for me as well. I was 19 when I played it and it still scared me silly. I would be afraid to go to sleep after putting in a game session at night.  :-[

Even after finishing it six times, I maintain that is just as scary/anxious as the other SHs, just play it on hard mode if you've already finished it before.  ;)

I think I played Resident Evil 4 after that. Like you rayne, didn't scare me hardly at all.

... Regarding an actual creepy scare, I'm thinking it was at some point during Silent Hill 4.

Part of it for me was the ghosts, they were always really creepy, did a ton of damage and it's hard to outrun them. Also walking into your apartment was terrifying - you never knew what would be waiting for you since it was randomized each time.  :o
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:44:01 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 12:34:25 am »
Probably RE. Yes, it freaked me out and also cemented by dislike for zombies in general. I don't know why, but I've never liked them. I find it depressing. It's like a bunch of sick people hobbling around, and it's just not an interesting monster to fight.

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 04:43:37 am »
Doom 3 creeped me out pretty bad back in the day haha, I love the game though

doafan

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 12:44:02 pm »
The one that started all for me was Resident Evil 3: Nemesis I don't fear zombies but running out of bullets when I was surrounded by them damn also when I encountered the Nemesis for the first time made me shit my pants  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 09:22:37 pm »
not a horror game but hen i was young the flood in halo used to really scare me.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 09:42:03 pm »
My first horror game was Castlevania. It's not scary, but it's awesome.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 08:17:41 am »
Technically I suppose it was Alien Trilogy. As it's a horror FPS. It didn't scare me as the graphics were poor and at the age of 4 I think you've still got some of that toddler fearlessness in you.

My first survival horror game was Resident Evil 2 I believe and it scared me shitless. I was having nightmares for weeks :D

I hated survival Horror games for most of my childhood just as I did horror movies as I would get nightmares.

Nowadays I enjoy survival horror games; still hate the moves though, not because they scare me but because they're generally awful movies.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 05:56:31 pm by kmacdw »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 11:34:23 am »
I was at my buddy house and he was playing RE when something broke through the window and I jumped cause i didnt know it was coming.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

shfan

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 02:20:45 pm »
Hmm, the first game I played which I'd class as horror would be Frightmare on the ZX Spectrum http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0001877, basically a flick-screen platformer with different monsters and macabre scenery. What really creeped me was the zombies who'd just rise out of the floor. It also had.. 'interesting' artwork, those eyes *shudder*.

There weren't many other proper horror games around to play until the previously mentioned Alien Trilogy FPS and of course the first Resi.