Author Topic: PSP Game Disk Not Working  (Read 4133 times)

PSP Game Disk Not Working
« on: February 28, 2016, 10:31:59 pm »
 I bought a PSP game that had the shell taped to it to keep the disc protected.

Then, I bought a replacement PSP game shell that fits the game properly and snaps snug. When I went to test the game with the new shell. The game still did not read. I cleaned the disk and I tried taking out the UMD plastic clear cover and having the game just be in the new shell. The game still does not read in my PSP.

All my other games work, so I ruled out the PSP being the issue.

I tried looking this up online but  I haven't found anything useful. Can any of you fine folks help me understand what's going on please? Thanks in advance for your replies.  :D

Re: PSP Game Disk Not Working
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 10:50:54 pm »
It's probably not something you can fix.. :/

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 11:11:21 pm »

Any idea to what could cause this? Firmware compatibility maybe? The game is Untold Legends

rayne315

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 02:16:01 pm »

Any idea to what could cause this? Firmware compatibility maybe? The game is Untold Legends

Did it work when it was taped together? or did you not test it? If it did work when taped then you may have inadvertently damaged it swapping cases. if it worked an a different psp then it is most likely laser issues or firmware issues.

The first thing that always comes to mind for me when a disc does not work is that their is a pin hole in the label. hold the disc up to a light source label side toward the light and see if you can see any light is peaking through on the other side (bottom of the disc). if you do the data layer of that disc is ruined and it is impossible to fix (trust me I have tried).

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:25:15 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:36:31 pm »
Did it work when it was taped together? or did you not test it? If it did work when taped then you may have inadvertently damaged it swapping cases. if it worked an a different psp then it is most likely laser issues or firmware issues.

The first thing that always comes to mind for me when a disc does not work is that their is a pin hole in the label. hold the disc up to a light source label side toward the light and see if you can see any light is peaking through on the other side (bottom of the disc). if you do the data layer of that disc is ruined and it is impossible to fix (trust me I have tried).

I didn't risk trying it when I saw it had the tape on it. It looked really risky. Maybe I should have tried it. So, I did what you said. I held the disc up to a good light source and I found no holes. I went a step further and tested the game in my girlfriend's PSP Slim and it still did not load. So, I have ruled out that it is the PSP and sadly it is going to the disc graveyard.  :-\

Thanks for the tip and the help. I greatly appreciate it.  :)

rayne315

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 09:51:36 am »

I didn't risk trying it when I saw it had the tape on it. It looked really risky. Maybe I should have tried it. So, I did what you said. I held the disc up to a good light source and I found no holes. I went a step further and tested the game in my girlfriend's PSP Slim and it still did not load. So, I have ruled out that it is the PSP and sadly it is going to the disc graveyard.  :-\

Thanks for the tip and the help. I greatly appreciate it.  :)

well it always sucks having to throw out any game but it happens sometimes.

one last dumb thing I can ask. is it overly scratched on the bottom of the disc? you might be able to buff it out or try the tooth paste method.

the tooth paste method is using NON-GRITTY straight white toothpaste and rubbing it all over the bottom of the disc then rinsing it off. don't scrub it clean because it is supposed to leave some paste in the scratches. this method should tell you if it is just scratches and if it works you will only need to buff it to fix it.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 10:13:45 am »
I've actually seen this happen so try this.  Does the little metal center of the disc fit snug and flush?  It shouldn't turn at all on it's own, independent of the disc itself. 

If this little metal center becomes crooked, dislodged or loose, the disc itself will fail to spin.  I've had this happen before and after realigning the disc and center hub, it worked like a charm.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 10:35:47 am »
well it always sucks having to throw out any game but it happens sometimes.

one last dumb thing I can ask. is it overly scratched on the bottom of the disc? you might be able to buff it out or try the tooth paste method.

the tooth paste method is using NON-GRITTY straight white toothpaste and rubbing it all over the bottom of the disc then rinsing it off. don't scrub it clean because it is supposed to leave some paste in the scratches. this method should tell you if it is just scratches and if it works you will only need to buff it to fix it.

Well, its not scratched at all. See photo below. That is what is weird. Unless there are scratches that I can't see with my eye.

Since the disk is so small what should I buff out the scratches with if there was any. It certainly can't fit in the Skip Dr. I don't want to put the toothpaste on it, if it's not necessary you know?

Also, let me know what brand toothpaste you recommend. Since all toothpaste has micro sharp plastic in it, I don't want to buy the wrong thing. Thanks for the continuous problem solving  :)

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 10:40:50 am »
I've actually seen this happen so try this.  Does the little metal center of the disc fit snug and flush?  It shouldn't turn at all on it's own, independent of the disc itself. 

If this little metal center becomes crooked, dislodged or loose, the disc itself will fail to spin.  I've had this happen before and after realigning the disc and center hub, it worked like a charm.

Interesting....Everything is snug and fit and flush and it doesn't move. It's very bizarre.

rayne315

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 11:13:54 am »
I have never specifically worked with psp discs so can anyone confirm where the extent of the data is on the disc? The reason I ask Is I see 2 spots, Very small mind you, on the bottom of the inner metal ring that appear to have the data layer removed. If any data actually is store in those spots that can be why, but I doubt that data extends that far because the data usually stops at the bar codes.

As for the tooth paste method I cannot specifically recommend any brand (Ive only done it a few times with whatever generic tooth paste my GF had) but you can just Google it. but I am unsure If it will help or not with no visible scratches. BTW I guess I lied about non-gritty toothpaste according to the article below.

http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-a-CD-With-Toothpaste

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 11:27:25 am »

Interesting....Everything is snug and fit and flush and it doesn't move. It's very bizarre.

Weird.  Does the disc spin up at all?  If it does and there are no holes or scratches that you can see, then I would say you are looking at a case of disc rot. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 11:50:46 am »
I have never specifically worked with psp discs so can anyone confirm where the extent of the data is on the disc? The reason I ask Is I see 2 spots, Very small mind you, on the bottom of the inner metal ring that appear to have the data layer removed. If any data actually is store in those spots that can be why, but I doubt that data extends that far because the data usually stops at the bar codes.

As for the tooth paste method I cannot specifically recommend any brand (Ive only done it a few times with whatever generic tooth paste my GF had) but you can just Google it. but I am unsure If it will help or not with no visible scratches. BTW I guess I lied about non-gritty toothpaste according to the article below.

http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-a-CD-With-Toothpaste

Thank you very much! I see those spots now. Thanks for point that out.  At this point, I'm down to do the toothpaste method. I have nothing left to lose.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 11:51:57 am »
Weird.  Does the disc spin up at all?  If it does and there are no holes or scratches that you can see, then I would say you are looking at a case of disc rot.

This disk spins a little and sounds like it wants to read but stalls for an infinite amount of time.

gf78

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 12:10:55 pm »

This disk spins a little and sounds like it wants to read but stalls for an infinite amount of time.

To me, it sounds like the data on the disc itself is corrupted.  It's an inherent danger, especially when storing media in temperature extremes.  Games at flea markets or that people had boxed up in their garage experience large temperature variations and are exposed to various amounts of moisture as the temperature fluctuates. 

Not saying this is the case with your particular game, but those temp extremes cause the adhesive that holds to two halves of the disc together to losen, allowing moisture and air inside.  This reacts with the aluminum layer that contains the data and virtually destroys it.   :(

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 12:18:44 pm »
To me, it sounds like the data on the disc itself is corrupted.  It's an inherent danger, especially when storing media in temperature extremes.  Games at flea markets or that people had boxed up in their garage experience large temperature variations and are exposed to various amounts of moisture as the temperature fluctuates. 

Not saying this is the case with your particular game, but those temp extremes cause the adhesive that holds to two halves of the disc together to losen, allowing moisture and air inside.  This reacts with the aluminum layer that contains the data and virtually destroys it.   :(

Good point! I'm willing to accept the loss. It was only $1.00 from a thrift store.  :P I learned a lot from this thread. So I appreciate all of your help.  :D