Author Topic: Are You A Purist?  (Read 2583 times)

kashell

Re: Are You A Purest?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 09:36:16 am »
It's been a few years since I finished that game; but I don't recall Epsilon being that bad. However, I was using Cinnamon and her crazy powerful weapon so I could've have just been overpowered.
I don't remember my team, I think I had X, Zero, Axel, and I can't remember the fourth.  I definitely know that my Cinnamon was weak.  I guess I was playing that fight all wrong.  I've been meaning to go back and play through that game again now that I've got a guide for it, who knows what all I missed out on through that first playthrough.

Idk, maybe I was being stupid and I was supposed to use a specific attack otherwise he was over powered.  I remember rotating between reviving and attacking when I could.

Cinnamon was weak unless you did a certain side-quest that granted her a weapon that made her broken. I was already using her because I thought she was adorable, so having that weapon was the icing on the cake.

I forgot that Axl was in that game. He always annoyed me so I'm pretty sure my team was X, Zero and Cinnamon. It's been a long time for me, too.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 10:12:29 am »
It's been a few years since I finished that game; but I don't recall Epsilon being that bad. However, I was using Cinnamon and her crazy powerful weapon so I could've have just been overpowered.
I don't remember my team, I think I had X, Zero, Axel, and I can't remember the fourth.  I definitely know that my Cinnamon was weak.  I guess I was playing that fight all wrong.  I've been meaning to go back and play through that game again now that I've got a guide for it, who knows what all I missed out on through that first playthrough.

Idk, maybe I was being stupid and I was supposed to use a specific attack otherwise he was over powered.  I remember rotating between reviving and attacking when I could.

Cinnamon was weak unless you did a certain side-quest that granted her a weapon that made her broken. I was already using her because I thought she was adorable, so having that weapon was the icing on the cake.

I forgot that Axl was in that game. He always annoyed me so I'm pretty sure my team was X, Zero and Cinnamon. It's been a long time for me, too.
Was it 3 person teams?  Then I guess that was my team. I'll have to go back at some point and try to do that side quest.

I don't know if I have it in me to play more than 2 turn based RPGs in one year.  Random battles are too much for me.

kashell

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 10:20:14 am »

Was it 3 person teams?  Then I guess that was my team. I'll have to go back at some point and try to do that side quest.

I don't know if I have it in me to play more than 2 turn based RPGs in one year.  Random battles are too much for me.

Ye gods, the random encounter rate in Command Mission was terrible. It reminded me of old-school RPGs where you would get into a fight every couple of steps.

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 10:31:22 am »

Ye gods, the random encounter rate in Command Mission was terrible. It reminded me of old-school RPGs where you would get into a fight every couple of steps.
Yeah, I can't put up with that for too long.  I'm saving my horrible random encounter RPG for the year for Wild Arms 3 when/if it releases for PS4.  It was rated for PS4 a month or two back, still waiting for it.

kashell

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 10:37:25 am »
Yeah, I can't put up with that for too long.  I'm saving my horrible random encounter RPG for the year for Wild Arms 3 when/if it releases for PS4.  It was rated for PS4 a month or two back, still waiting for it.

Wild ARMs 3? I didn't think that the encounter rate was bad, especially since you had the option to avoid enemies weaker than you.

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 10:51:48 am »

Wild ARMs 3? I didn't think that the encounter rate was bad, especially since you had the option to avoid enemies weaker than you.
I really hate random battles.  Wild Arms in general, the random battles are painful because you are doing Zelda-like dungeon puzzle solving while being kicked in the face with random battles.

kashell

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 10:55:52 am »

I really hate random battles.  Wild Arms in general, the random battles are painful because you are doing Zelda-like dungeon puzzle solving while being kicked in the face with random battles.

For the most part I don't mind them, especially when you have some sort of control over them like in the Wild ARMs series. Aside from the original Wild ARMs on the PlayStation, the series allows you to avoid random battles in some capacity. I really liked how they did it in Wild ARMs 2 and 3 with color-coded indicators.

tripredacus

Re: Are You A Purist?
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 11:07:40 am »
Typo in topic title fixed.

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 11:13:19 am »
For the most part I don't mind them, especially when you have some sort of control over them like in the Wild ARMs series. Aside from the original Wild ARMs on the PlayStation, the series allows you to avoid random battles in some capacity. I really liked how they did it in Wild ARMs 2 and 3 with color-coded indicators.
I explained to my wife that you could cancel certain encounters and she kind of lost her mind about how cool that was.

I know at some point they changed it where you had to use gems to cancel encounters, so there was basically no point to cancelling at that point, you'd run out of gems in a few steps.

kashell

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 11:16:42 am »
I explained to my wife that you could cancel certain encounters and she kind of lost her mind about how cool that was.

I know at some point they changed it where you had to use gems to cancel encounters, so there was basically no point to cancelling at that point, you'd run out of gems in a few steps.

Ha, that's funny. I thought the same thing at the time when I first watched my brother play Wild ARMs 2 when it was originally released.

I can't recall the system in Wild ARMs 3, but in Wild ARMs 2 you would use your Migrant Points (?) to cancel "white" colored encounters. This would deplete the gauge, but it could be refilled by those gems you mentioned. I want to say "white" encounters didn't deplete the gauge in 3, but it's been a long time since I played it.

It's a wonderful series; I really wish a Wild ARMs 6 would be in our future.

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 11:27:27 am »

Ha, that's funny. I thought the same thing at the time when I first watched my brother play Wild ARMs 2 when it was originally released.

I can't recall the system in Wild ARMs 3, but in Wild ARMs 2 you would use your Migrant Points (?) to cancel "white" colored encounters. This would deplete the gauge, but it could be refilled by those gems you mentioned. I want to say "white" encounters didn't deplete the gauge in 3, but it's been a long time since I played it.

It's a wonderful series; I really wish a Wild ARMs 6 would be in our future.
Yeah, I was disappointed that they didn't have one for PS3.  I'm hoping that if they release 3 for PS4 like I'm hearing, it'll revive interest in the series.

doafan

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 12:13:14 pm »
What can I say when I own two Action Replays, one for the PlayStation 2 and the other for the GameCube, have used these babies with some games/bosses that caused me troubles in the past and sometimes I even combined this with the strategy guides, so my answer is no, am not a purist in any sense  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

rayne315

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 02:10:41 pm »
I will always attempt to play a game without cheating but if I get stuck at a particular part for an hour + with absolutely no progression and their is nothing I can do about it (grind levels before hand) then I will resort to cheating. that being said I do not consider glitching the game to be a form of cheating. and depending on the game will actively attempt to break the game to make it easier using glitches (except money/leveling glitches as that ruins the fun).

I also have exceptions to this rule. If I am cheating at a game just for fun and do not progress through the story mode any then I will always go to it. A major example being in the ps2 grand theft auto's, I always seem to revert to entering the cheat codes for tanks, weapons, the dodo cheat (flying with the tank), armed npc's, and hostile npc's just to see how much destruction I can create/ how long I can live, or just to get to the last islands.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 02:13:56 pm »
I will always attempt to play a game without cheating but if I get stuck at a particular part for an hour + with absolutely no progression and their is nothing I can do about it (grind levels before hand) then I will resort to cheating. that being said I do not consider glitching the game to be a form of cheating. and depending on the game will actively attempt to break the game to make it easier using glitches (except money/leveling glitches as that ruins the fun).
My wife tried to beat Ocarina 3DS using the glitch where you can go ahead with the game without ever receiving the starting sword.

tripredacus

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 02:35:00 pm »
Regarding the cheating issue. If it is single player, then who cares. Do whatever makes the game fun for you.