Author Topic: Fable Legends cancelled, Lionhead might shut down  (Read 4911 times)

gf78

Re: Fable Legends cancelled, Lionhead might shut down
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 01:04:36 pm »
No big loss, IMO. I remember all the lofty promises they had for the original Fable, making it sound even better than Morrowind (at the time), and then the final product came out and it was far less open-ended then they promised. I couldn't help but be disappointed in the series.

I enjoyed the first two Fable games immensely.  The third, not so much.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 01:11:31 pm »
In my eyes, just further proof that Xbox One will be the last Xbox console.  Microsoft is steadily moving toward being a service rather than hardware.  Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Halo series land on the PS5 and Nintendo-whatever-majig next generation.
lol I was waiting for this.  From what I'm hearing, MS's plan is for this to be the last Xbox console, what with their plan for extendable hardware.  Think... 32X... lol
That's not true exactly.

Phil Spencer said he definitely hopes for another Xbox console in the future. And other members of the Xbox team have echoed that.

The whole expandable hardware thing was a recent comment; though tbf people seem to have short memories. In the infancy of both platforms; industry experts predicted that both Sony and MS might look to hardware upgrades as in this day and age they are quickly surpassed by the PC platform more rapidly than ever.

I expect another Xbox, but I do think that will certainly be the last one; whereas I don't think the PS5 will be the last PlayStation platform.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 01:14:23 pm »
Yup and now they are trying to revive GFWL with their Windows Store Windows 10 exclusive shyte.

I fully believe by the way they are releasing all their previously "Xbox One Exclusive" titles on the PC, they are going software/services only.  They will release their new titles on the PC and offer a service like EA Access or whatever it's called for other consoles.  I'm telling you, in the next five years we will see a Halo game on a competing console.  They just basically scuttled two more studios so all we have left is what - Coalition, 343 and Turn 10?  Oh...and the rotten, bloated husk that was Rare.
Sea of Thieves might turn things around for Rare.  I know nothing about it and have no interest, but it is there.

Ehh...isn't it going the "free-to-play" download only route?
i have not heard that.  Last I heard, full featured, full cost, physical game.

gf78

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 01:40:45 pm »
Yup and now they are trying to revive GFWL with their Windows Store Windows 10 exclusive shyte.

I fully believe by the way they are releasing all their previously "Xbox One Exclusive" titles on the PC, they are going software/services only.  They will release their new titles on the PC and offer a service like EA Access or whatever it's called for other consoles.  I'm telling you, in the next five years we will see a Halo game on a competing console.  They just basically scuttled two more studios so all we have left is what - Coalition, 343 and Turn 10?  Oh...and the rotten, bloated husk that was Rare.
Sea of Thieves might turn things around for Rare.  I know nothing about it and have no interest, but it is there.

That would be great.  But judging by Rare's last few games, I'm not holding out hope for anything special.  All their talent fled after the Microsoft acquisition and it showed in games like Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo and Grabbed by the Ghoulies.  Time will tell though. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 01:45:24 pm »

That would be great.  But judging by Rare's last few games, I'm not holding out hope for anything special.  All their talent fled after the Microsoft acquisition and it showed in games like Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo and Grabbed by the Ghoulies.  Time will tell though.
I've heard that Kameo and Grabbed by the Ghoulies are good.  Also, I've actually heard people say that PDZ is a good game if you only play multiplayer.

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 02:12:09 pm »

The multiplayer of PDZ was fun; the single player....not so much, but tbf FPS games had poor stories more often than not back then.

Kameo is a good 3D platformer; I completed it and I haven't really been into platformers for quite some time.

Heard good things about Grabbed by the Ghoulies too.

I'm no expert on Rare as I didn't own an N64 so I never played the titles of their golden era; Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

For me Rare will always be about Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct; and they'll never match them for me.

Was a shame that they got put on Kinect duty for a spell; but perhaps they can bounce back with this game.

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 09:25:53 am »
Further news.

5 studios' logos have been removed from Microsoft Studio's website, as well as the logo for Project Spark.

Big Park, Function Studios, Good Science, LXP, and SOTA.

gf78

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 10:52:50 am »
Further news.

5 studios' logos have been removed from Microsoft Studio's website, as well as the logo for Project Spark.

Microsoft continues their usual roll of the dice.  Expect the usual release schedule:  Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, repeat. 

But there is hope.   Three years in, and we have yet to see the secret sauce that is "Teh powah of teh cloudz!!!"

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 11:13:57 am »
Further news.

Microsoft continues their usual roll of the dice.  Expect the usual release schedule:  Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, repeat. 

But there is hope.   Three years in, and we have yet to see the secret sauce that is "Teh powah of teh cloudz!!!"
Crackdown 3.

gf78

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 11:21:31 am »
Further news.

Crackdown 3.

They announced that game almost three years ago.  Where is it?  Is anyone actually going to care when/if it does arrive? 

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 11:26:01 am »
Further news.

Crackdown 3.

They announced that game almost three years ago.  Where is it?  Is anyone actually going to care when/if it does arrive?
Supposed to come out within the next 6 months.  I care.

I liked Crackdown 1 and 2.  I absolutely love destructable environments (Red Faction Guerrilla hnnnnnnnnnnng) so this Azure cloud computed destructible world sounds fantastic.  so... :p

gf78

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 11:42:19 am »

I liked Crackdown 1 and 2.  I absolutely love destructable environments (Red Faction Guerrilla hnnnnnnnnnnng) so this Azure cloud computed destructible world sounds fantastic.  so... :p

That's cool that you are into it.  I was thinking more along the lines of the fickle masses.  People used to play Mario games for years.  In today's gaming and internet culture, things are quickly forgotten.  So with the long development times that continue to drag on, will this game miss it's window of opportunity? 

As well, the mass destruction you love will only be available in the online mode with the single-player mode having "limited destruction" according to Reagent Games and Microsoft. 

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 11:48:17 am »

That's cool that you are into it.  I was thinking more along the lines of the fickle masses.  People used to play Mario games for years.  In today's gaming and internet culture, things are quickly forgotten.  So with the long development times that continue to drag on, will this game miss it's window of opportunity? 

As well, the mass destruction you love will only be available in the online mode with the single-player mode having "limited destruction" according to Reagent Games and Microsoft.
Then meh.

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 12:31:22 pm »
Further news.

I think MS has seen what Sony has in the pipeline and decided that they need better. So I imagine they're axing all the studios whose projects don't seem up to scratch, and would expect them to reinvest in some new studios.

rayne315

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 01:06:15 pm »
No big loss, IMO. I remember all the lofty promises they had for the original Fable, making it sound even better than Morrowind (at the time), and then the final product came out and it was far less open-ended then they promised. I couldn't help but be disappointed in the series.

That's Peter Molyneux for you, I cant remember a single thing he has ever made that he didn't over promise.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully