Author Topic: Fable Legends cancelled, Lionhead might shut down  (Read 4909 times)

Fable Legends cancelled, Lionhead might shut down
« on: March 07, 2016, 10:21:29 am »
http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/07/microsoft-studios-changes-uk-denmark/

• - Fable Legends cancelled
  • - Microsoft Studios in talks with employees about closing studio
  • - Press Play Studios in Denmark shutting down
  • - Project Knoxville cancelled

Didn't they have a playable beta for Fable Legends?  I know they were trying to tweak the balancing in the game since it was too difficult or not fun.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:28:40 am by ctracy87 »

Re: Fable Legends cancelled, Lionhead might shut down
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:29:22 am »

Didn't they have a playable beta for Fable Legends?  I know they were trying to tweak the balancing in the game since it was too difficult or not fun.
Beta was due some time this spring.

I wondered why this game had been in development for so long; you can only survive so many delays. Tbh I don't think there was much of a following behind the game.

Personally don't own an XONE currently but even if I did, I couldn't see myself playing this had it actually seen the light of day.

Real shame what happened with Fable. Fable was a great game; yeah it was short and linear but it laid the foundations for what could have been something special. Fable 2 built on that. So come Fable 3 I was expecting this massive open world action RPG title but instead it was Fable 2.1; it was a worthwhile play but a bit underwhelming.

Following 3, I expected a 4 but I was no longer confident the series would reach it's potential. Instead we get a Kinect game, a remake of the original and finally this multiplayer focused FTP game enters development.

Why not just make an open world Fable 4?! That's what we wanted.....

Tbf Kingdom's of Amalur brought the Fable blueprint farther than any Fable game ever did.

A real shame that it never reached its potential.

Not to say in a few years Microsoft won't farm Fable 4 out to one of it's developers when the nostalgia is at a high.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 10:35:12 am »

I wondered why this game had been in development for so long; you can only survive so many delays. Tbh I don't think there was much of a following behind the game.

Personally don't own an XONE currently but even if I did, I couldn't see myself playing this had it actually seen the light of day.

Real shame what happened with Fable. Fable was a great game; yeah it was short and linear but it laid the foundations for what could have been something special. Fable 2 built on that. So come Fable 3 I was expecting this massive open world action RPG title but instead it was Fable 2.1; it was a worthwhile play but a bit underwhelming.

Following 3, I expected a 4 but I was no longer confident the series would reach it's potential. Instead we get a Kinect game, a remake of the original and finally this multiplayer focused FTP game enters development.

Tbf Kingdom's of Amalur brought the Fable blueprint farther than any Fable game ever did.

Not to say in a few years Microsoft won't farm Fable 4 out to one of it's developers when the nostalgia is at a high.
I could've sworn they had a beta, maybe they just had it playable at SDCC or E3.  I remember people talking about playing the game, but maybe I'm crazy.

I'm kind of waiting for gf78 to jump in and talk about how MS is stupid for shuttering studios.  I've honestly been waiting for the cancellation since I heard about the complaints about the balancing, and then they cancelled the multiplayer mode.  Fable has gone downhill hard ever since the beginning.  Ugh, Fable heroes and fable journey.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 10:40:10 am »

I could've sworn they had a beta, maybe they just had it playable at SDCC or E3.  I remember people talking about playing the game, but maybe I'm crazy.

I'm kind of waiting for gf78 to jump in and talk about how MS is stupid for shuttering studios.  I've honestly been waiting for the cancellation since I heard about the complaints about the balancing, and then they cancelled the multiplayer mode.  Fable has gone downhill hard ever since the beginning.  Ugh, Fable heroes and fable journey.
Perhaps there was a closed beta, I'm not sure.

I blame Microsoft. Closing the studio is fair enough as it's producing muck these days. However I blame MS for the downfall. Fable 3 was too similar to Fable 2 as Lionhead were given less time to produce the game. Then suddenly they're reduced to making a Kinect game like so many other studios.

Should have just let Lionhead be Lionhead; take their time with fable 3 and do it right. Make Black and White 3. That should have been their future; not Kinect titles, arcade titles and FTP games.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 10:48:12 am »

I blame Microsoft. Closing the studio is fair enough as it's producing muck these days. However I blame MS for the downfall. Fable 3 was too similar to Fable 2 as Lionhead were given less time to produce the game. Then suddenly they're reduced to making a Kinect game like so many other studios.

Should have just let Lionhead be Lionhead; take their time with fable 3 and do it right. Make Black and White 3. That should have been their future; not Kinect titles, arcade titles and FTP games.
At some point Molyneux left, so I know that didn't help.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 11:09:54 am »

He left when fable the Journey was complete; though I think he had minimal involvement with that title anyway.

gf78

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 11:45:32 am »
In my eyes, just further proof that Xbox One will be the last Xbox console.  Microsoft is steadily moving toward being a service rather than hardware.  Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Halo series land on the PS5 and Nintendo-whatever-majig next generation. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

gf78

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 11:46:19 am »

He left when fable the Journey was complete; though I think he had minimal involvement with that title anyway.

Would you claim any part of that travesty?  What a hunk of crap.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 11:51:13 am »
In my eyes, just further proof that Xbox One will be the last Xbox console.  Microsoft is steadily moving toward being a service rather than hardware.  Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Halo series land on the PS5 and Nintendo-whatever-majig next generation.
lol I was waiting for this.  From what I'm hearing, MS's plan is for this to be the last Xbox console, what with their plan for extendable hardware.  Think... 32X... lol

gf78

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 12:21:14 pm »
lol I was waiting for this.  From what I'm hearing, MS's plan is for this to be the last Xbox console, what with their plan for extendable hardware.  Think... 32X... lol

I really didn't even want to delve into the "extendable hardware" nonsense because that's just what it is:  Nonsense.  It kinda-sorta worked for the N64 with the Expansion Pak, but that was simple.  It was a little hatch on the top you opened, pulled out the dummy and put the memory pak into.  Even with that simplicity, it was a fairly insignificant amount of games that required it and thus, few people actually bought it outside of it being included with a game like DK64.  Sega's add-on legacy is one big bag of fail. 

And for all the Microsoft supporters who naively believe a huge company like them has to know what they are doing, take a long look at the clusterf*ck that is Windows Phone and get back to me.  I've never seen such ineptitude in handling a major product.  They half-ass support the thing, then buyout Nokia's hardware division for an ungodly sum of money.  So you would think, "Man, MS is going to really hit the smartphone market with guns blazing!"  Nope.  They continue to trickle out half-assed phones of varying levels of middle-of-the-road specs.

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 12:23:34 pm »

I really didn't even want to delve into the "extendable hardware" nonsense because that's just what it is:  Nonsense.  It kinda-sorta worked for the N64 with the Expansion Pak, but that was simple.  It was a little hatch on the top you opened, pulled out the dummy and put the memory pak into.  Even with that simplicity, it was a fairly insignificant amount of games that required it and thus, few people actually bought it outside of it being included with a game like DK64.  Sega's add-on legacy is one big bag of fail. 

And for all the Microsoft supporters who naively believe a huge company like them has to know what they are doing, take a long look at the clusterf*ck that is Windows Phone and get back to me.  I've never seen such ineptitude in handling a major product.  They half-ass support the thing, then buyout Nokia's hardware division for an ungodly sum of money.  So you would think, "Man, MS is going to really hit the smartphone market with guns blazing!"  Nope.  They continue to trickle out half-assed phones of varying levels of middle-of-the-road specs.
Yup and now they are trying to revive GFWL with their Windows Store Windows 10 exclusive shyte.

gf78

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 12:34:37 pm »
Yup and now they are trying to revive GFWL with their Windows Store Windows 10 exclusive shyte.

I fully believe by the way they are releasing all their previously "Xbox One Exclusive" titles on the PC, they are going software/services only.  They will release their new titles on the PC and offer a service like EA Access or whatever it's called for other consoles.  I'm telling you, in the next five years we will see a Halo game on a competing console.  They just basically scuttled two more studios so all we have left is what - Coalition, 343 and Turn 10?  Oh...and the rotten, bloated husk that was Rare. 

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 12:43:41 pm »

I fully believe by the way they are releasing all their previously "Xbox One Exclusive" titles on the PC, they are going software/services only.  They will release their new titles on the PC and offer a service like EA Access or whatever it's called for other consoles.  I'm telling you, in the next five years we will see a Halo game on a competing console.  They just basically scuttled two more studios so all we have left is what - Coalition, 343 and Turn 10?  Oh...and the rotten, bloated husk that was Rare.
Sea of Thieves might turn things around for Rare.  I know nothing about it and have no interest, but it is there.

gf78

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 12:51:22 pm »

Sea of Thieves might turn things around for Rare.  I know nothing about it and have no interest, but it is there.

Ehh...isn't it going the "free-to-play" download only route? 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 12:53:01 pm »
No big loss, IMO. I remember all the lofty promises they had for the original Fable, making it sound even better than Morrowind (at the time), and then the final product came out and it was far less open-ended then they promised. I couldn't help but be disappointed in the series.