Author Topic: Your thoughts on crossovers?  (Read 2745 times)

Your thoughts on crossovers?
« on: March 09, 2016, 02:14:31 pm »
The title says it all. What are your thoughts on them? I personally think that they're a great way to appeal to both franchise's fans. Also, are there any crossovers that you'd want to happen?

I personally would like to see a Mario & Sonic crossover that isn't Smash or the Olympic games, maybe something like a Mario & Luigi RPG w/Sonic crossover. Probably wouldn't ever happen, but it's nice to think about it.

Also, sorry if this has been done before, I couldn't find a thread like this that has had a post within the last couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:05:20 pm by corexretro »

indenton

Re: Your thoughts on crossovers?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 02:59:34 pm »
I dunno, Hyrule Warriors has been working pretty well, I wonder if they could take on any other franchises

Then looks at the crossover between Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem (Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, say that one out loud, just rolls of the tongue, doesn't it... ) Before they actually showed us a proper trailer for that game, I was expecting a straight-up crossover game like Project X Zone, universes collide and what-not.  But it really does look like its own universe, it doesn't look like something that needs to be retconned by the fans because "He can't be both here and there, they wouldn't be working together", instead it looks it built from the ground-up with sprinkles of spiritual characters and franchise lure and connections peppered about, otherwise it has its own characters, world and storyline.  It's not your average crossover and it doesn't look like a crossover, but I'm still invested in the idea.  It's a crossover of the concepts and ideas found between the 2 franchise rather than throwing in everything, maybe even the kitchen sink. 

In that Nintendo Direct the other day, they called it a 'Brand New IP', at this point it could of fooled me. 

gf78

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 03:18:15 pm »
Crossovers could be really good.  I love some of the comics where DC and Marvel crossed-over.  Some of those were really good while others like All Access sucked donkey balls.

As long as it's not Capcom taking part or at least in charge of the crossover, I'd be for it.  They made Street Fighter (cross) Tekken and hid completed characters and data on the damn disc to charge as DLC a few months later.  I don't need any more of that BS. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 03:43:48 pm »
Crossovers could be really good.  I love some of the comics where DC and Marvel crossed-over.  Some of those were really good while others like All Access sucked donkey balls.

Pretty much this.

I want to see more than just fighting games for crossovers, though. I'm not the biggest fighting game fan. Kingdom Hearts showed us it can be done via RPG, so let's see some more of that!

Speaking of Marvel vs. DC, it would be awesome to see that done in video game form. Make it like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but make a different storyline/missions for each side.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:54:43 pm by burningdoom »

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 03:50:39 pm »
I would love for Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney to be offered as a physical copy in the west, if anything...  ::)

I don't mind crossovers, though, yes, a lot of it seems to be focused on fighting games.  Though some crossovers within franchises happens occasionally, like Persona Q. Though that was also a bit of a crossover with the Etrian Odyssey games in terms of playstyle.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 03:53:22 pm »
Based on the ones I've played, I've enjoyed them. Even something with a steep learning curve like Cross Edge is really enjoyable because you can see all of your favorite characters come together. Sure, the stories are hardly there, but that's not why folks play them. In fact, I'm playing through Project X Zone 2 now and really enjoying it. I'm on chapter 27 and there has been nearly zero story.

soera

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 03:56:00 pm »
DQ Heroes!

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 04:41:55 pm »
I would love for Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney to be offered as a physical copy in the west, if anything...  ::)
I can't tell if you are serious.

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 04:54:53 pm »
I can't tell if you are serious.

Why not serious? I have just about all the Ace Attorney and Professor Layton games...  :-[

EDIT: Oh, I get now why you said that! Because there *is* a retail version, haha. I had it confused with Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies ;D

Haha, sorry about that.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:00:50 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 04:59:32 pm »
I love crossovers.  It would be cool for Nintendo to eventually do like a "Nintendo Universe" of some sort, where suddenly characters from Nintendo properties are brought together to fight against a big evil.  Like Kingdom Hearts meets Smash Bros.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 05:12:41 pm »
I'm a complete sucker for crossovers, but when they're bad, they're really bad. I like ones that manage to capture the spirit of whatever franchises they're crossing over. It's when it devolves into brainless fanservice that I have a problem. Yes, I know I'm a fun-killer. And I probably could've worded this in a less pretentious way.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 05:23:39 pm »
I like ones that manage to capture the spirit of whatever franchises they're crossing over. It's when it devolves into brainless fanservice that I have a problem. Yes, I know I'm a fun-killer. And I probably could've worded this in a less pretentious way.
A great example of this would probably be the Mario and Sonic Olympic Game crossovers. They don't capture the spirit of either franchise.

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 05:35:30 pm »
I like ones that manage to capture the spirit of whatever franchises they're crossing over. It's when it devolves into brainless fanservice that I have a problem. Yes, I know I'm a fun-killer. And I probably could've worded this in a less pretentious way.
A great example of this would probably be the Mario and Sonic Olympic Game crossovers. They don't capture the spirit of either franchise.

Right, they just feel like filler characters and could've been any character from any franchise. Like slapping Star Wars characters on a bag of oranges.

Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 05:55:19 pm »
Like slapping Star Wars characters on a bag of oranges.
Why is that even a thing? If only they found out a way to make them BB-8 oranges would they even be relative to Star Wars.

they just feel like filler characters and could've been any character from any franchise
I mean, they couldn't be any character, but neither of them actually do any platforming in the Olympic titles. uless you're serious about them being filler characters.

gf78

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 06:51:13 pm »
I love crossovers.  It would be cool for Nintendo to eventually do like a "Nintendo Universe" of some sort, where suddenly characters from Nintendo properties are brought together to fight against a big evil.  Like Kingdom Hearts meets Smash Bros.

The Amiibo's release was the perfect opportunity for Nintendo to make a Skylanders or Disney Infinity type game. But true to Nintendo form, they haven't bothered.  ::). Toys to life is a sales juggernaut, but Nintendo didn't seem to care about that possible revenue stream.  ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us