Author Topic: Nagging Question...can somebody answer this?  (Read 865 times)

gf78

Nagging Question...can somebody answer this?
« on: March 18, 2016, 03:01:00 pm »
I've looked all over online and can't find an answer, so I figure somebody here might know the answer.

As I've said, been playing around with Disney Infinity 3.0.  I know that the character data is obviously already in the game itself, meaning that putting the figure on the portal just "activates" it for use in the game.

But how does the Expansion Packs work?  Is the Toy Box Takeover and Speedway expansion (as well as others) data already on the game disc, or is there more than an NFC chip in those hunks of plastic?  Is there an executable "program" or something similar contained in the expansion pieces that utilizes assets on the game disc?  I guess what I'm looking to have answered in the technical aspects of it.

It's not really a big deal, but I like to know how things work so it's been bugging me.  Everywhere I look online, it pretty much just directs me to the same Disney website or a fan site that says "Pop this piece on the portal and you too can play the Toy Box Takeover!" or something similar. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

soera

Re: Nagging Question...can somebody answer this?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 04:08:35 pm »
If its the same as Skylanders, once you activate it on the portal, it loads up into the game. You dont need to put the piece on the portal every time. Its essentially the same as unlocking DLC. Once its done, its done.

topspot123

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 04:56:27 pm »
I don't have any information to back this up, but I am fairly certain that all of the data is on the disc and the NFC chip simply unlocks it.  To my knowledge, typical NFC chips only hold a few Kb of data, just enough for identifying data and a few variables such as stats.  No proof, but I hope this helps! :)

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 11:26:46 pm »
Uh... they patch games and add content.  I would be willing to bet if you tried to play these new content without downloading the latest update they wouldnt work.

But i could be wrong.

Edit:  sounds like the content is already on the disc for di3, it just unlocks the content.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:32:12 pm by ctracy87 »