Author Topic: box art upload format  (Read 3520 times)

htimreimer

box art upload format
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:03:15 pm »
i would like to upload pic that are in these formats

.gif
.ico
.JFIF
JPEG 2000
Exif

dstone

PRO Supporter

Re: box art upload format
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:32:39 pm »
Some of those seem to be rather obscure formats. Would anyone actually use a JFIF or an Exif? And really, GIFs and ICOs? I really can't see using those for box or cart images. Especially ICOs.

scott

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:38:51 pm »
Gifs don't allow for enough color information. And in all my years of graphic design ive never used any of those formats. Honestly its easy to open paint and save the file as a JPEG instead then upload it.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

htimreimer

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:23:12 pm »
Some of those seem to be rather obscure formats. Would anyone actually use a JFIF or an Exif? And really, GIFs and ICOs? I really can't see using those for box or cart images. Especially ICOs.

Gifs don't allow for enough color information. And in all my years of graphic design ive never used any of those formats. Honestly its easy to open paint and save the file as a JPEG instead then upload it.

i want these formats because i have found a lot Images online that have these format and i do not want to convert the Images

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:25:46 am »
Not gunna happen. JPEG and PNG is all you get. Any of those other formats are obscure and would be a waste of time to code. It'll seriously take you 30 seconds to convert them to a compatible format lazy bones.

jcalder8

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:12 am »
Is there a way to list on the edit page that the pictures must be in those formats? Or a way to warn the user when he is uploading an unsupported file type?

I just guessed that was the case after a few of my pictures weren't approved.

tpugmire

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 09:50:48 am »
It's been a while since I had anything to upload, but I thought there was something that says .jpg or .png only?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 09:50:55 am »
It's listed on the submit page but not the edit page. I'll get this added.

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 11:07:04 am »
ICO? Who the hell posts box art in ICO format? And no, the icons built into executables are not cover art.

JPEG2000 / JFIF are subsets of JPEG but... the former is only used by image professionals, and nobody uses the latter.

amauriel

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 04:34:00 pm »
Personally, I think the whole world and the entire internet community needs to give it up and go universally .png.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

jcalder8

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:32:57 pm »
@foxhack, I was reading this on my phone and I forgot what thread I was in and all I saw was that you were freaking out about ICO. I couldn't believe that anyone felt that strongly that ICO was a bad game lol