Author Topic: What are some of the best rpg's for the snes?  (Read 2538 times)

What are some of the best rpg's for the snes?
« on: April 10, 2016, 07:34:03 pm »
I've been addicted to earthbound and it has been such an awesome game. I want to play another snes rpg after I beat earthbound. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe secret of mana or ff2 0r ff3? If you guys can think of hidden gems that are really good I would really appreciate it. Btw, i'm not opposed to action adventure rpg's but I prefer the ones where you stand in a line. It is nostalgic for me I guess. Thanks...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What are some of the best rpg's for the snes?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 07:56:07 pm »
Chrono Trigger is the best traditional-style RPG on the system, IMO. Simple gameplay, but fantastic story and music with a time-travel theme, multiple playable characters, and multiple endings.

abe

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 08:03:07 pm »
Plenty of good RPGs on the SNES. Here's a few:
-Chrono Trigger
-Illusion of Gaia
-Super Mario RPG
-Breath of Fire and Breath of Fire II
-Lufia & The Fortress of Doom
-Lufia II- Rise of the Sinistrals

There's plenty of good Super Famicom imports too if you're willing to try those. Many have English fan translations as well.
-The Fire Emblem series. All three on the SFC have English fan translations
-The Metal Max series.
-The SaGa series.
-The Dragon Quest series.
-Bahamut Lagoon
-Front Mission
-Final Fantasy V
-Live A Live
-Star Ocean
-Tales of Phantasia
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

soera

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 10:27:29 pm »
FF III (VI) > all.

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 04:09:29 am »
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Final Fantasy II (IV)
Chrono Trigger
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II

They'd be the five I'd go for.

kashell

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 08:35:21 am »
The SNES is a wonderful system for RPGs. Here are a few of my favorites:

Secret of Mana: This is one of my favorite games of all time. It's an action RPG in which up to three people can play if you have a multi-tap. If not, you can get by with just two players or go on the adventure yourself. The AI settings for the computer controlled characters are fantastic. Other games that use AI settings could have learned a thing or two from it. The action is fast, but not button-mashy. The story sometimes takes a back seat, but there is still a huge world to explore littered with secrets. This gets my top recommendation.

Breath of Fire: This was my first RPG and I still enjoy going back to it from time to time. It has traditional, turn-based combat, a huge cast of characters, lots of dragons and an easy difficulty in case you're looking for something a bit more relaxed. Breath of Fire II has a better story and better graphics, but the game fumbles in much more areas. It's my least favorite in the series.

Chrono Trigger: An interesting story, swift battles, a great score and lovely graphics. Aside from some hideous Toriyama artwork, this game is flawless and has so much to offer. Chrono Trigger has some of the best pacing I have ever seen in an RPG. I won't get into the details because of spoilers, but the game starts with a bang and that momentum keeps up throughout the quest.

Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals: I finished this game for the first time about a year ago. Despite having gone through countless RPGs on other consoles, Lufia II still has more believable characters, better battles and features (IP is wonderful) and more content. It's a great game; I regret waiting so long to play it.

There are a few honorable mentions I can list, too.

Soul Blazer: An addictive action RPG that will sink its claws into you and not let go until the ending credits.
Illusion of Gaia: A follow up to Soul Blazer, but with a longer campaign and a more familiar setting. It's a shame the NA version got hit by so much censorship.
Final Fantasies IV, V, and VI: You can't go wrong with these games. Each one will last a good 30 to 50 hours, depending on how much you do. FFV can be played with an English patch.
Mario RPG: This is a "feel good" RPG with a battle system that has more depth than meets the eye.

Finally, if you're willing to patch and/or import, here are some great Super Famicom titles that never got the chance to see the west.

Secret of Mana 2: Ye gods I love this game. I'm still bitter about it never showing up here.
Tales of Phantasia: Compared to modern Tales titles, the series has come a long way. Still, there is something undeniable charming about this one.
Romancing SaGa 3: If you're looking for something non-traditional that lets you play without handholding, then consider this one.

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 09:11:24 am »
Xak 3 and popful mail.

retrogemcollector

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 01:56:29 am »
If you like Pokemon, then you should try Robotrek, a true definition of a hidden gem. Also my all time favourite SNES game is Secret of Evermore.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 09:11:13 am »
If you didn't say Chrono Trigger, you're wrong.  End of story. 
Final Fantasy III is a close second, but it's still not as good as the adventure of Crono and friends.

HarvestDude

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 10:12:02 pm »
Don´t forget some good Japan-only games. Most of them already have fan translation patches.

Captain Tsubasa III follows the series of the same name, where the young Tsubasa Ozora persues his dream of becoming the greatest soccer player ever and also trying to make Japan win the Youth World Cup. It follows the Captain Tsubasa manga series and it has all the great moves from the story. It is a kind of soccer simulation, where you run with the characters using the gamepad but decides the actions by using menu selections. Every player has levels and "guts", health points needed to play the game and perform special moves like Tsubasa´s Drive Shot, Hyuuga´s NeoTiger Shot and Wakashimasu´s Wolf Defense. Losing makes you play rematches but those are good for raising your levels (advanced adversaries won´t give you a single chance if you´re low-leveled). I'm a particular fan of that series. I have finished Captain Tsubasa I, II and III. I´m playing the IV and i still have to play V. If you´re into sims, rpg and soccer, that´s your game!

Live-a-Live is a very fun RPG, focused on several heroes from several timelines. Every one of them is linked to a great destiny and their roles get tangled. Seems similar to CT? But it´s not. A very curious but fun game.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is the best of its series. Packed with different characters, wonderful graphics and the old rpg-action style, it also has a great story and soundtrack. I surely recommend this one.

That´s what i´d recommend for now!

HarvestDude™

kashell

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 08:27:08 am »
Live-a-Live is a very fun RPG, focused on several heroes from several timelines. Every one of them is linked to a great destiny and their roles get tangled. Seems similar to CT? But it´s not. A very curious but fun game.

Great recommendation!

I can't believe I forgot to mention this game. I haven't played it in years. Actually, I don't think I ever finished the game. This is one I need to find again.

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 05:39:26 pm »
Aside from some of the obvious ones like FF3, Chrono Trigger and Earthbound I would say Super Mario RPG is a very underrated title and is probably my favorite RPG on the console aside from the other 3.

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 05:45:20 pm »
English translated Mother 3. Arguably the best Earthbound game.
Whoops, noticed this was a SNES games only thread. I don't think there is any game I could recommend for SNES that hasn't already been mentioned, so I'll piggyback. Chrono Trigger.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 01:30:27 am by mrfoxhound »

Badges

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 01:47:26 am »
"Terranigma" (SNES) is the BEST RPG in the world. Just try it and you will love it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:38:34 am by antoniokratos »

kashell

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 08:46:43 am »
I'm always happy to see more love for Terranigma. That's a great game. I really wish it was released in NA.