Author Topic: Is Rule of Rose worth it's price?  (Read 4836 times)

Is Rule of Rose worth it's price?
« on: April 11, 2016, 06:14:23 pm »
Probably pretty much one of the most expensive NA release PS2 games. I'm planning on trading a few games I don't want anymore to get it.  But would you say it is as rare as it's price says. I know it depicts violence to children so it was pulled fast but is it really that rare? Or is it just really popular right now. I see a lot of people trying to hunt it down. Is that why the price is up. Will it cool off?

Re: Is Rule of Rose worth it's price?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:12:19 pm »
I played through it and personally enjoyed it. The combat is pretty bad but the story itself is pretty interesting/disturbing. I would recommend it, I am personally looking for it myself but not willing to spend that much on it quite yet.

ziondood

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 08:06:13 pm »
I loved it!!

doafan

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 08:19:09 pm »
Probably pretty much one of the most expensive NA release PS2 games. I'm planning on trading a few games I don't want anymore to get it.  But would you say it is as rare as it's price says. I know it depicts violence to children so it was pulled fast but is it really that rare? Or is it just really popular right now. I see a lot of people trying to hunt it down. Is that why the price is up. Will it cool off?

Can I ask which games ?, the title indeed is kinda rare but that doesn't mean that is good enough, the combat is not what you might expect so if the titles that you are gonna trade aren't that rare it's a good deal, guess that it's obscure cause the the goal of the game is to rape, beat up and kill a little girl, if you like Silent Hill and Haunting Ground you definitely need to add it to your collection I do like these two but am not that rich to pay for a copy of this one  ;)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

retrogemcollector

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 03:10:14 am »
Story was pretty good. Gameplay is shit as the camera is a hell to control. I suggest that you see some gameplay before purchase. As for buying it's a collector's piece and as long as the survival horor video game market is hot, I don't see it going down, so sooner you get it cheaper it is.

kashell

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 08:15:02 am »

http://www.gamefaqs.com/PS2/930042-rule-of-rose/reviews/161299

The link takes you to a review I wrote for it.

To me, it was worth the price because it was unlike any other game I've played in the survival-horror genre. Yes, the combat is crap and there is one particular boss battle that is notorious for making players rage-quit. However, the story, atmosphere, setting, graphics, and music make the game worth a look.

I wasn't aware of it suddenly becoming popular. I never noticed how pricy games in this genre could be. Haunting Ground is high, all of the Fatal Frames are high and (obviously) Rule of Rose is high.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 09:48:23 am »
No, it is not. Compared to other survival horror games on the PS2 (which there are many), it is definitely bottom tier imo. This game's price is based on rarity alone. It's a decent game, but based just on how fun it is, it should only be worth $30 tops.

haloofthesun

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 02:53:42 pm »
As everyone has said, the combat is terrible. It's everything else that it does right. But is it worth the $150+ that it currently goes for now? No. Very few games are worth that price imo and this is not one of them. I bought it for $70 a few years ago when that price was still considered too high for this game, but (obviously) it's only been going up. The price probably won't be coming down any time soon, as survival horror isn't really becoming less popular and since so few new survival horror games get made, people are looking to collect older titles.

So on one hand, no it is not worth the price. But it is only going to stay this cost or go higher for the foreseeable future, and it isn't worth that price either. Figure out if the game is something you'd enjoy. Then buy it now unless you want to wait for the bubble to pop, and who knows when that will be, if ever.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 08:39:18 pm »
No. Play Siren, Clock Tower 3, Obscure, even Ghost Hunter instead and spare yourself the extortion.